1998 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: The engine won't quit

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

The engine won't quit
By NotherJettaOwner on

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this Jetta back in the beginning of 2001 with nearly 48k on it. This year, I took an outside sales job and I've pushed it from about 137k to 160k and counting. Its days are numbered, as I haven't done much upkeep outside of oil changes, but this sucker still doesnt burn a drop of oil. The coolant is starting to leak a little. Both windows on the driver side are off track and are held in place by pieces of wood propping them up. Radio reception is awful. Transmission will stick going uphill from time to time. We superglued the rubber molding to keep it in place and that has worked pretty well. Knock on wood, the car has never left me stranded.

Car goes when I say go - even at this stage of the game. Still averaging 27 mpgs and can get up to 31 on all highway.

Make sure the electronics work properly. The rubber molding problem was, I think, fixed in newer models. Make the spark plugs easier to access for tune-ups.