1998 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Pretty happy with this car

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Review

Pretty happy with this car
By Gediminas on

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with only 34k mi. I am very hard on cars, and this car has stood up to my "abuses". This car wasn't perfect, though; the crank sensor and cruise control went out on me. Gas mileage is pretty good, but could be better. Unfortunately, I was involved in an accident in 2002 and the car was never the same. The rack boot and front axle needed replacement on 2 occasions, and the heat shield rusted off. Tires were wearing unevenly, and after the latest repair bill (which involves all the above), I have to say goodbye to this venerable car. Outside of those issues caused by the wreck, the only thing I had to do was change the oil and this car was ready to go. I'll miss it.

The exterior "box" styling, great interior build quality, good in the snow, nuclear-cold AC, very fun to drive, stereo system.

Cup holders are terrible, side molding falls off (like everyone else's), keyless remote is temperamental, better seat adjustment needed.