1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
No regrets! Great car!
By kraziman on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1998. It has always been very fun to drive. Despite it's cramped rear seat, lack of good cup holders (seat adjustment levers hold sport bottles perfectly!), and it's little quirks and rattles, I love this car and would do it all over again. It now has 64,000 miles on it and I would drive it cross-country. It still has awesome power with the VR6/5- speed combo. One tip, let VW install the CD changer. That was my only nightmare and it was because I took it to an after market place.

Great Jetta!
By Silazius on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Very fun to drive. VR6 is a great performer. Fit and finish inside is very good. Exterior fit and finish is excellent. Have had some problems with the fuel oxygen sensor, esp. when there is heavy rain. Also had to have the ignition switch replaced!? This is one of the last old style body types before they "Passatized" the Jetta. Ugh!

Stay Away
By Jetta GLX Blues on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Stay away from this car. I bought it last June and since September my repair bills have topped $5,000. They are lemons. A lot of little things go and labor kills you. It feels like it has spent more time in the shop then with me. Trust me, they look nice and will run for the test drive, but once you leave the lot, get ready for some headaches.

VW K2
By VanWeston on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan K2 4dr Sedan

this is a great Car very fast. much much car for the money. manny goodies. turns heads I love it

Disappointing Jetta
By Pops on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan K2 4dr Sedan

Lots of problems early on with car. Automatic trans problems. Rear brake problems. Power window problems. Remote alarm problems. Alternator ceased at 30K. Exhaust down-pipe has broken two times.....On and on. Very disappointed in the realiability of this car. I have had many VW's before but this is my first brand new one. It will also be my last.

Would Do It Again
By JettaDriver on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car even with its problems. For the money the Jetta is fun to drive, has good power and looks great. The car feels solid and well made for just $16K. Once I learned how to drive the car right, I had plenty of power. You just gotta know how to use those 115 horses. The issue I have with the Jetta: expensive to maintain, battery exploded at 24,000 miles, switch for air cond sometimes doesn't work, wheels covers and reflectors fall off, 3 front and rear wheel alignments, parts are expensive, VW service departments suck, options and add-ons are too expensive. Overall, I love this car.

They got it right--except little stuff
By Melweena on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Overall, I've loved owning VW Jettas. The A/C and Heat are quick to the rescue in tough Wisconsin weather, and the tork in the engine is enough to keep up with quick lane changes in downtown Chicago. If it weren't for just a few cosmetic issues, this vehicle would be superb!

FOURTH JETTA IN THE FAMILY
By Doug JR. on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

THIS IS THE FOURTH JETTA IN OUR FAMILY. I HAVE FOUND IT TO BE MORE RELIABLE THAN MY PARENTS 2000 JETTA GLS. THE ENGINE IS NOT VERY POWERFUL, BUT ONCE YOU REV IT UP, IT SPRINGS TO LIFE. ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME JUST SHOULDN'T OWN A VW. ONCE YOU DRIVE A JETTA AND LEARN HOW TO DRIVE IT EFFECTIVELY, YOU CAN STOP HEARTS. P.S. FOR ALL OF THOSE ANTI VW PEOPLE WHO THINK I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT KEEP THIS IN MIND, I HAVE HAVE TWO PORSCHES 911 & 928, A 328I BMW, AND THIS JETTA. I CHOOSE TO DRIVE MY JETTA DAILY. AND I ALWAYS HAVE A SMILE WHEN I GET HOME!

Did not enjoy this car
By Not a Fan on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car has been a major disappoinment. I leased this car new in 1998 and have been trapped in a four year lease! It was great for the first year, but on the one year anniversary of the car, the electrical system shorted out. Since then, my dashboard shorts out and I have to hit the dash to get the lights back on. My stereo gets louder as I try to turn it down. Then my wheel covers ended up missing. To top it all off, my exhaust system fell out, and was not cheap to replace. Now I have an unidentified rattling coming from the rear of the car. I also found that I did not have that great of a gas mileage. Oh well, live and learn. I'll never buy VW again.

Love my Jetta VR6
By Johnny Max on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

A very reliable and fun car to drive. The VR6 enigine is very zippy as I hug the turns like a high priced sports car. Many cars on the road give me a double take as my Jetta zips on by them with ease. For the price this car rocks!