1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car
By great car on 08/24/05 16:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 103,000 miles on it in 2004. The paint is still very shiny (exclusive to wolfsburg painting techniques) and the suspension, wheel bearings and other components were still in great condition. The car has decent pickup for a 4-cyl. (faster than my honda) and the 5 speed transmission works beautifully. The engine idles very smoothly and is very reliable. My clutch did however go out at about 107,000 miles which is normal. I get many complements about my car and I love it. The only problem is the door trim, which any able bodied person can fix for 4 dollars by buying a tube of automotive adhesive. Install NEUSPEED products!

Please do NOT buy a VW Jetta
By Amy1234 on 04/13/05 22:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

Jettas are a maintenence nightmare! Since I got my Jetta (new in 1998), the following are only some of the problems I have had (most occured REPEATEDLY or were never resolved): window motors went out 6 times, cruise control (fixed twice, still doesn't work), volume control on radio, side plastic moldings don't stay on, keyless entry broke less than a year after buying, faulty front spoiler. To top it all off, I just found out I have $7,000 in transmission repairs. Everyone who I have spoken with has had similar problems and several VW owners I know have or are trying to get their cars declared lemons. I am NOT a person who complains at much...but it is ridiculous that VW is still in business.

For People who love to drive
By swgplain on 04/03/05 08:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My first vehicle was a 1977 Rabbit since then I have had 9 VWs from a 74 convertible Super Beetle to my 98 Jetta I just purchased. VW knows how to build a car that fun to drive, reliable, economical, and easy to work on. I must say that the Jetta is quite an improvement over my previous VWs and I look forward to many years of driving pleasure.

Sporty, reliable, but slow
By blackjettak2 on 03/08/05 20:05 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan K2 4dr Sedan

This is a a fun car but when the shocks wear out, as mine have it drives like a waterbed when you push it hard, it is fast off the line but it is overall a slow car this one really needs a turbo....:) The protective door moldings do tend to come loose, and my car is have some issues with door pulls that turn white in the sun... other then that, super reliable, easy to work on, and a head turner even when in factory state, and most of all those heated sport seats in our cold canadian winter..:)

'98 GLX
By vdubn98 on 03/06/05 17:10 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

The mkIII vr6's are amazing cars. They have lots of power out of the box are fun to drive. The hp isn't that great but the weight of the car makes up for that. the suspension system is flawless, it handles like a sports car. and with the extra back weight of the Jetta, it out performs the GTI, IMO.

Jetta not so good
By basketball on 02/13/05 08:35 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought this Jetta for my daughter in 1999 from a private party and have had nothing but problems with it. There are too many problems to list but here are a few. First the clutch failed at 25,000. Oxygen sensor failed at 32,250. The key switch switch was replaced at 51,000. The electrical system and heater controls work when they want to. The starter failed twice. The power steering pump was replaced. The wheels can not be removed without beating on them with a sledge hammer. The list goes on and on. I had the car to 2 separate dealers who have told me to trade the car in because of the problems. 1 dealer suggested that I not bring the car back for servicing. This car is a nightmare.

The Jetta is a great car!
By ty_allan on 01/29/05 12:26 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1998 Volkswagen Jetta this year with 133,000 miles on it and it runs awesome. It is really comfortable and the heated seats are really nice. Everyone that rides in it says they love it.

Bad 1998 Jetta GT
By dustie on 01/01/05 07:20 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have had nothing but problems with my Jetta. It seems like everyday something goes wrong. Electrical, brake system, clutch, motor mounts, axles, ignition, key switch, heater and a/c controls have all failed within 50,000 miles. The wheels oxidize to the hubs and can not be removed without pounding on the wheels with a sledge hammer. This is not good when you have a flat tire. The car is a total nightmare. Very unreliable. Parts are extremely expensive. I can not recommend this car to anyone.

Dependable
By vwluv on 11/08/04 16:22 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

Dependable, solid sedan that is both fun to drive yet feels safe compact

i love my jetta!
By aubry on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

this is my first car ive bought. It was prviously owned and taken care of very well. Its a vr6 model, wich is faster than a regular gl jetta series, but this vehichle is very reliable. Gas milage is impecable and i have had NO problems what so ever with this car. And it is so much fun to drive!