Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I love this car
By Midori Alexandros

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

It has been a great- car. We have had to do a lot of mechanical repairs to the car, who ever sold it did not do them and that was probably why they sold it in the first place. We have done timing belt/tensioner, both drive axles, breaks, struts, engine mounts, and turn signal switch, spark plugs, plug wires, and had the engine detailed. The car has been excellent with no mishaps.

I love this car, I love the way it is shaped, it's very boxy and sexy.

More comfortable seats.

Nothing but problems
By Brent

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Ever since i have owned this car, i have had to keep putting money into it. New spark plugs, new transmission, window mount broke twice, faulty wiring, engine mount broke, emergency break light stays on some times; it is by far the worst car that i have ever owned. I will NEVER own another volkswagen again.

It stays warm during the winter, and doesn't get stuck in the snow.

Everything, especially the transmission

The engine won't quit
By NotherJettaOwner

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this Jetta back in the beginning of 2001 with nearly 48k on it. This year, I took an outside sales job and I've pushed it from about 137k to 160k and counting. Its days are numbered, as I haven't done much upkeep outside of oil changes, but this sucker still doesnt burn a drop of oil. The coolant is starting to leak a little. Both windows on the driver side are off track and are held in place by pieces of wood propping them up. Radio reception is awful. Transmission will stick going uphill from time to time. We superglued the rubber molding to keep it in place and that has worked pretty well. Knock on wood, the car has never left me stranded.

Car goes when I say go - even at this stage of the game. Still averaging 27 mpgs and can get up to 31 on all highway.

Make sure the electronics work properly. The rubber molding problem was, I think, fixed in newer models. Make the spark plugs easier to access for tune-ups.

This is a fun car to drive
By B4B

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1998 and have been religious about maintenance and fixing things before they become expensive problems. I've driven 160,000 miles with no major repairs and still enjoy driving this car. If you stay up on maintenance (yes - brakes, struts, engine, etc.), this car will reward you every day - it is a fun and responsive car to drive and blast through turns. There is a certain "structural integrity" to the Jetta that Hondas and Toyotas lack. It handles well, has a responsive engine for its size and is great to drive. Great on gas too - I get 31 mpg highway.

Solid ride, great handling, excellent brakes, responsive engine, great on gas.

Cup holder can't accommodate large size from Dunkin' (have to remove ash tray), otherwise I'm pretty happy.

Jetta...Da Da Da
By Tina

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

A Jetta is a great car that's a lot of fun to drive. The style appealed to me and it handles like a sports car, there's a lot of kick to it. It's a solid built car that feels safe and reliable. Downsides: snow can easily clog up the small wheel wells. I've had issues with the doors freezing shut (the door seal is almost impenetrable). Have had issues with the side molding. Also had the cruise control system replaced once and now it's not working again. The maintenance can get expensive and now that I've gotten past 100,000 mile point, my wallet has begun to experience the "joys" of car ownership. Despite the issues, I would recommend a Jetta and will probably buy another one.

Huge trunk, body style, porcelain blue metallic paint, 6-disc changer, sporty handling, fuel efficiency.

Side moldings that stay on, a more responsive keyless remote (mine is sporadic), larger, more accessible cup holders that you can actually place a beverage in (how are you supposed to fit a tall cup directly below the radio console??).

• SUV