Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Mk3 jetta / alot Of miles Per gallón
By John Gianni

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this Car for 800$ and put On it Around 2300$ But is a great invesment. Paint , socks,breaks, radiator,hoses ,housing hose, Water pump,timing belt,custom rims & tires michelline/ rims and tires same size like original recomend , front windshield,interior small parts , and clips, Many i got On eBay , junk yards ,México, vw parts - this Car is very economical To use San Diego To los Ángeles Around Trip 25$ On gas I fix it With my friends Looks Good - restored was The best desicion 1998 jetta manual Gl No words To describe is a old car But give me All i Need We have 5 cars and VW jetta MK3 family We love it !!

a big bottomless hole in my wallet
By okayt

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan K2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago. The muffler fell off twice in 1 week right after I got it along with the siding (back on w/ double-sided tape) & the spoiler. Had to fix the ignition switch, buy a new radio/cd player. Several sets of new tires. Blinker/brake light problems which only worked for a year & stopped working again. The 2 back windows are being held up with pcs of wood. The power locks don't work from the inside (they'll lock me in). AC adaptor doesn't work & I was told they couldn't fix it. The glove compartment handle snapped off. & now it's back in the shop for some unknown reason. If it's more than a couple hundred I'm buying a new car & never buying a Dub again

The seat color & the fact that they're heated

The bike rack is atrocious and I wish I could remove it. And everyone's right about the cup holders... it only holds a can. Oh and certifying more people to fix them. Design it so I can check my own fluids and fix the issues myself like I could with my old Sable :(

Another great VW
By trav87

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used from a local VW dealer, and abuse the snot out of it. I autocross and do hill climbs with this car, as well as daily drive it. Normal wear and tear items get replaced, and regular maintenance keep things going strong. As with any used car, parts tend to wear out faster than new, so be prepared to spend money keeping them going. Do your homework and never buy a used car without having it checked out!

driving it on 3 wheels around corners :)

water pump impeller, plastic parts do not belong in an engine. What am I supposed to do with the cup holders?

Good car
By German

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Good car, great on gas will buy an other vw again.

it handles really well, great on breaking great room size.

automatic transmission.

never buying a VW again
By no more vw's

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

car ran well for about a year before everything went wrong. Bought with 76,000 now has 130,000 miles Muffler fell off about 7 times resulting in lots of repair costs. When everything seemed ok the distributor went and needed new wires. After that the spark plugs had a problem resulting in gas killing my catalytic convertor and o2 sensors that =$1,200 worth of repairs. Had steering problems and a few days ago the clutch broke and stuck to the floor. Quick fix for about $200 bucks but warned that the clutch will go very soon. Body is rusting faster and faster where it is to the point that you cannot even jack the car up without the body crumbling. Replacing car ASAP and never buying VW again

when it runs it is a fun car to drive

better placed cup holders