Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Could have been a contender.
By Bing

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I like the way she drives.. I bought the car with 106k miles on it. Salvaged the ailing (automatic)transmission with transmission conditioner. The window regulators are garbage. They break often and run you over $350 a pop to put in. Don't let a substandard shop work on the car. They will cause you more problems. The car has broken motor mounts, they cause a shimmy when accelerating and cause the CV joints to wear quickly. The engine and Transmission still run really strong with 170,000 miles. Just don't think the rest of the car will last. With TLC early in the life of the car I think it would be running and looking great in every facet.

Handling,Radio, sunroof, roomy interior and trunk.

Lack of qualified mechanics... car should be a bit easier to work on.

The engine won't quit
By NotherJettaOwner

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this Jetta back in the beginning of 2001 with nearly 48k on it. This year, I took an outside sales job and I've pushed it from about 137k to 160k and counting. Its days are numbered, as I haven't done much upkeep outside of oil changes, but this sucker still doesnt burn a drop of oil. The coolant is starting to leak a little. Both windows on the driver side are off track and are held in place by pieces of wood propping them up. Radio reception is awful. Transmission will stick going uphill from time to time. We superglued the rubber molding to keep it in place and that has worked pretty well. Knock on wood, the car has never left me stranded.

Car goes when I say go - even at this stage of the game. Still averaging 27 mpgs and can get up to 31 on all highway.

Make sure the electronics work properly. The rubber molding problem was, I think, fixed in newer models. Make the spark plugs easier to access for tune-ups.

Not again!
By JLS

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Although my 1998 Volkswagen Jetta was two years old when I purchased, it had low mileage (it still has low mileage) so I was enthusiastic. I loved the style, the way it handled, and the way it drove. BUT it is a piece of junk. I have had to replace every window control on it, the axels, side trim, throttle body, it quit on the interstate when the coil went out, and on and on. And it is expensive! To have the transmission serviced was $500! I will never purchase another VW of any kind. I still have it because I have too much in it to be able to recoup any expenses but I am going to have to do something with it.. I can't afford to "drive" it!

The seat comfort and the nice interior.

Build quality needs MUCH imporving.

VW Jetta GLS is an awesome car.
By qjernst

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used with 64,000 miles on it last summer. It has decent acceleration and handles like a sports car. The 2.0 liter engine gets OK mileage but it could be better. I have had a few problems with this car but nothing major (eg: new window motor, cruise control doesn't work right). It gets around well in the snow and is perfect for tight parking spots. The interior is very comfortable considering its small size and the buttons and controls are very user-friendly. The automatic tranny shifts great, the engine is good, and the ride is smooth.

Superb handling, large trunk, Euro-sport sedan styling, great transmission, 1-touch power windows, comfortable seats, and overall performance. Also, the metallic green color looks really nice and so does the interior.

Cupholders in a less stupid spot, body-side moldings that actually stay on the car, better sound system, more rear leg room, and more in-cabin storage.

The Jetta is a great car!
By ty_allan

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1998 Volkswagen Jetta this year with 133,000 miles on it and it runs awesome. It is really comfortable and the heated seats are really nice. Everyone that rides in it says they love it.

The sunroof, automatic windows, heated seats, stock sound system, acceleration, and steering is great.

Add cupholders and an arm rest for the front two seats.