1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Could have been a contender.
By Bing on 10/05/09 17:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I like the way she drives.. I bought the car with 106k miles on it. Salvaged the ailing (automatic)transmission with transmission conditioner. The window regulators are garbage. They break often and run you over $350 a pop to put in. Don't let a substandard shop work on the car. They will cause you more problems. The car has broken motor mounts, they cause a shimmy when accelerating and cause the CV joints to wear quickly. The engine and Transmission still run really strong with 170,000 miles. Just don't think the rest of the car will last. With TLC early in the life of the car I think it would be running and looking great in every facet.

The engine won't quit
By NotherJettaOwner on 12/19/07 20:28 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this Jetta back in the beginning of 2001 with nearly 48k on it. This year, I took an outside sales job and I've pushed it from about 137k to 160k and counting. Its days are numbered, as I haven't done much upkeep outside of oil changes, but this sucker still doesnt burn a drop of oil. The coolant is starting to leak a little. Both windows on the driver side are off track and are held in place by pieces of wood propping them up. Radio reception is awful. Transmission will stick going uphill from time to time. We superglued the rubber molding to keep it in place and that has worked pretty well. Knock on wood, the car has never left me stranded.

Not again!
By JLS on 07/17/06 06:04 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Although my 1998 Volkswagen Jetta was two years old when I purchased, it had low mileage (it still has low mileage) so I was enthusiastic. I loved the style, the way it handled, and the way it drove. BUT it is a piece of junk. I have had to replace every window control on it, the axels, side trim, throttle body, it quit on the interstate when the coil went out, and on and on. And it is expensive! To have the transmission serviced was $500! I will never purchase another VW of any kind. I still have it because I have too much in it to be able to recoup any expenses but I am going to have to do something with it.. I can't afford to "drive" it!

VW Jetta GLS is an awesome car.
By qjernst on 03/31/06 23:49 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used with 64,000 miles on it last summer. It has decent acceleration and handles like a sports car. The 2.0 liter engine gets OK mileage but it could be better. I have had a few problems with this car but nothing major (eg: new window motor, cruise control doesn't work right). It gets around well in the snow and is perfect for tight parking spots. The interior is very comfortable considering its small size and the buttons and controls are very user-friendly. The automatic tranny shifts great, the engine is good, and the ride is smooth.

The Jetta is a great car!
By ty_allan on 01/29/05 12:26 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1998 Volkswagen Jetta this year with 133,000 miles on it and it runs awesome. It is really comfortable and the heated seats are really nice. Everyone that rides in it says they love it.

I'm broke
By don'tbuyajetta on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta in 2000, the day I drove it off the lot I knew something was up. I've had several problems; muffler fell off twice, Mileage sucks, the back seats are two small to fit anyone, transmission went at 33,00, fan belt went at 55,000. The exterior (plastic rubber pieces on the side) flew off into the road as I was driving. It's been a nightmare. I drove through a puddle and the sparkplugs got wet and it took days to get it started. Now the car just overheats. I was very religious in taking proper care of this car so it would last me a long time. Please do yourself a favor and don't buy one. It will do a number to your wallet.

Love My Jetta
By Ohstillsoinlove on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '98 Jetta GLS in Dec. of 1997. It is truly a "people's car" by the best automakers in the world (think Mercedes, BMW, Audi and others available in Europe). Today, I can honestly say this is one of the best cars out there today! After 6+ years and 73000+ miles (and counting), I have not experienced ANY major complications with it. I do the oil changes and tire rotations and that about covers it. Handles magnificently!!! Leaves other compacts in the DUST in its superiority!!! I feel my Jetta is just getting broken in. It is a superb car with outstanding appeal, both inside and out. My next new car will definitely be another Jetta!

Don't believe the hype
By IhatemyJetta on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought a '98 dealer-certified Jetta in Jan. 2001 for about what I would have paid for a 2001 Corolla, thinking I was getting a better car. And in terms of comfort and handling, I was. The positives end there. This car has been a nightmare. Transmission (automatic) died at 54k; the powertrain warranty was only good up to 50k, so the dealer politely informed me that I was screwed. Cost of a new trans: $3,000. Car still doesn't run right: Jerky, inconsistent shifting and acceleration, runs hot, idles rough, burns through coolant. Dealer insists with a straight face there's nothing wrong with it. In short, a total piece of crap. Never again.

Did not enjoy this car
By Not a Fan on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This car has been a major disappoinment. I leased this car new in 1998 and have been trapped in a four year lease! It was great for the first year, but on the one year anniversary of the car, the electrical system shorted out. Since then, my dashboard shorts out and I have to hit the dash to get the lights back on. My stereo gets louder as I try to turn it down. Then my wheel covers ended up missing. To top it all off, my exhaust system fell out, and was not cheap to replace. Now I have an unidentified rattling coming from the rear of the car. I also found that I did not have that great of a gas mileage. Oh well, live and learn. I'll never buy VW again.

I love my Jetta!
By amnotafish on 03/09/02 14:16 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

After two years in this car I'm still in love with it. I drive this car hard and fast and it keeps up with everyone. It hugs the road and feels much safer than other cars I've driven. I get a lot of complments as well- especially from Jetta owners '99-'02. If something (god forbid) were to happen to this car I would have to find another. The '98's are far superior to the newer VW models and kicks my friend's Civic to the curb!