1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good car
By German on 01/11/10 17:37 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Good car, great on gas will buy an other vw again.

never buying a VW again
By no more vw's on 12/09/09 14:12 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

car ran well for about a year before everything went wrong. Bought with 76,000 now has 130,000 miles Muffler fell off about 7 times resulting in lots of repair costs. When everything seemed ok the distributor went and needed new wires. After that the spark plugs had a problem resulting in gas killing my catalytic convertor and o2 sensors that =$1,200 worth of repairs. Had steering problems and a few days ago the clutch broke and stuck to the floor. Quick fix for about $200 bucks but warned that the clutch will go very soon. Body is rusting faster and faster where it is to the point that you cannot even jack the car up without the body crumbling. Replacing car ASAP and never buying VW again

Beg to differ
By gys98jetta on 11/23/09 15:55 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Great to drive to Sacramento and back and to work and to all my friends houses and then do it all over again.

Pretty happy with this car
By Gediminas on 07/28/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 with only 34k mi. I am very hard on cars, and this car has stood up to my "abuses". This car wasn't perfect, though; the crank sensor and cruise control went out on me. Gas mileage is pretty good, but could be better. Unfortunately, I was involved in an accident in 2002 and the car was never the same. The rack boot and front axle needed replacement on 2 occasions, and the heat shield rusted off. Tires were wearing unevenly, and after the latest repair bill (which involves all the above), I have to say goodbye to this venerable car. Outside of those issues caused by the wreck, the only thing I had to do was change the oil and this car was ready to go. I'll miss it.

Too Young To Die
By Vector on 06/05/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Jetta in 2001, with only 17k. In the 7 years that Ive owned it, the rubber on the sides fell off, the cruise control went out, the keyless entry stopped working, the airbag light goes on and off, and worst of all the transmission is dying at 86,000 miles. The repair shop (a costly VW only shop) could not fix the cruise, the key or the airbag light. They said that I will have to get a new tranny, which would cost more than the car is worth. It takes a lot of effort for it (automatic transmission) to get up to 20 mph (gets up to 50 rpms), and it jerks into second gear. Once it gets to 60 mph, it's ok but it takes a lot of work to get there. Not so much fun to drive now.

This is a fun car to drive
By B4B on 10/10/07 20:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1998 and have been religious about maintenance and fixing things before they become expensive problems. I've driven 160,000 miles with no major repairs and still enjoy driving this car. If you stay up on maintenance (yes - brakes, struts, engine, etc.), this car will reward you every day - it is a fun and responsive car to drive and blast through turns. There is a certain "structural integrity" to the Jetta that Hondas and Toyotas lack. It handles well, has a responsive engine for its size and is great to drive. Great on gas too - I get 31 mpg highway.

Jetta...Da Da Da
By Tina on 09/19/07 11:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

A Jetta is a great car that's a lot of fun to drive. The style appealed to me and it handles like a sports car, there's a lot of kick to it. It's a solid built car that feels safe and reliable. Downsides: snow can easily clog up the small wheel wells. I've had issues with the doors freezing shut (the door seal is almost impenetrable). Have had issues with the side molding. Also had the cruise control system replaced once and now it's not working again. The maintenance can get expensive and now that I've gotten past 100,000 mile point, my wallet has begun to experience the "joys" of car ownership. Despite the issues, I would recommend a Jetta and will probably buy another one.

I'll Buy Another
By La Bomba on 09/09/07 22:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased used from Ford lot during yr 2000. Upgrade options include sun/moon roof and remote key access. Weak on acceleration and tops for cross-country touring/hwy driving. Solid feel with matching reliability. 1.8L fuel injected gets about 33/44 mpg road/hwy, a must in today's economy. Tight in the back for big folk; however, far roomier than the VW Bug. The battery linked factory VW radio was a mess, so I upgraded it with a Pioneer system. Wide wheel base with FWD a plus in weather. Roomy trunk. Lots of elbow room up front. Stout frame is a snap to parallel park in urban places. Nasty tacky exterior rubber door guards fall off too much. Overall: very good touring sedan (A-).

Drove for 9 yrs and LOVED IT!
By Kim on 06/08/07 15:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

So much fun to drive even in the 9th yr. It's got a great kick and the interior held up well. Very reliable! The only things I've ever had to do besides tires and oil changes is replace the clutch once. Granted I only put around 8-9 thousand miles a year on it. But I drove it hard and in lots snowy/rainy weather conditions.

Had to sell it
By Cody on 05/09/06 15:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I just sold my Jetta with only 80,000 miles on it. I had planned on keeping it for a lot longer. It just completly fell apart. It was a great car up until 80,000 miles, and then it just went downhill. Everything broke on this car, EVERYTHING. It just isn't reliable.