Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Absolutely not!
By SMO

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

So I bought my nice 1998 jetta in 2008 for a graduation present to myself. Granted the car was 10 years old and I did get it for a deal (sort of)...IT stinks! so far since I've had it (less than a year) I've had to replace the wheel bearings 3 separate times because they've broken while I was driving and I've also done the breaks and rotors twice. On top of that I had to replace the exhaust, all the window motors are messed up, my automatic door locks don't work, the window cable broke, my 02 sensor failed, my cruise control doesn't work, the wiring causes shorts in the lighting and sensors, and my side panels had to be reglued in place. All of this at 120,000 miles? I miss my dodge stratus!

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Everything...this is a total waste of a car, and is completely overpriced at that. Don't try to fix it either, because the parts will end up costing more than the car itself did!

I Hate my Jetta
By Luvzh2o

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

My car has been nothing but an expensive project since I bought it 2 years ago. Fist I had to have all 4 struts replaced, and new tires and alighnment. A few months later it needed a new exhaust and still is having cat issues. I have replaced both front axels, the brakes, new timming belt, and water pump. I have learned how to fix the Windows cause I have had all 4 break on me and its actually simple to replace the regulators, but getting the window back in to possition is a pain. The crank shaft possition sensor was just replaced and now its going back to the mechanic today, there is something wrong in the front end and it needs the valve cover gasket fixed and is leaking oil. What a pile!

Favorite Features

The spoiler...its the only thing I haven't had to replace yet. lol.

Suggested Improvements

The whole car. I wouldn't buy a VW again if the car lot was giving it to me. So please save yourself some trouble and don't buy one. I'm sorry i ever did. :-(

I love this car
By Midori Alexandros

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

It has been a great- car. We have had to do a lot of mechanical repairs to the car, who ever sold it did not do them and that was probably why they sold it in the first place. We have done timing belt/tensioner, both drive axles, breaks, struts, engine mounts, and turn signal switch, spark plugs, plug wires, and had the engine detailed. The car has been excellent with no mishaps.

Favorite Features

I love this car, I love the way it is shaped, it's very boxy and sexy.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats.

Easy to Drive
By jordanv2323

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

Probably the eaisest car to drive. It is great for its day!!

Favorite Features

4 wheel disc brakes, clock next to speedometer, corners unbelievably.

Suggested Improvements

Not heavy enough for winter driving without studs unless you're a great winter driver.

Do you really want one?
By redjetta98

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

The Jetta is an interesting car in the beginning when you get it and step on the gas and let out the clutch it feels good you want to drive it. However as you begin life's journey with the vehicles things start to break such as the back rotors which wear out every 40,000 miles because of a "design flaw" the window cable, not the motor, fray because of a "design flaw", the O2 sensor fails because of a "design flaw". Bottom line the entire car is a design flaw and is made with cheap parts which snap together in some instances. Don't be fooled by its good looks, these cars are money pits. Why do people still own them? Most likely they owe more than what the car is worth and are just trying to get by.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the build quality.