1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Absolutely not!
By SMO on 07/15/09 22:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

So I bought my nice 1998 jetta in 2008 for a graduation present to myself. Granted the car was 10 years old and I did get it for a deal (sort of)...IT stinks! so far since I've had it (less than a year) I've had to replace the wheel bearings 3 separate times because they've broken while I was driving and I've also done the breaks and rotors twice. On top of that I had to replace the exhaust, all the window motors are messed up, my automatic door locks don't work, the window cable broke, my 02 sensor failed, my cruise control doesn't work, the wiring causes shorts in the lighting and sensors, and my side panels had to be reglued in place. All of this at 120,000 miles? I miss my dodge stratus!

I Hate my Jetta
By Luvzh2o on 11/07/08 08:21 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

My car has been nothing but an expensive project since I bought it 2 years ago. Fist I had to have all 4 struts replaced, and new tires and alighnment. A few months later it needed a new exhaust and still is having cat issues. I have replaced both front axels, the brakes, new timming belt, and water pump. I have learned how to fix the Windows cause I have had all 4 break on me and its actually simple to replace the regulators, but getting the window back in to possition is a pain. The crank shaft possition sensor was just replaced and now its going back to the mechanic today, there is something wrong in the front end and it needs the valve cover gasket fixed and is leaking oil. What a pile!

I love this car
By Midori Alexandros on 03/27/08 14:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

It has been a great- car. We have had to do a lot of mechanical repairs to the car, who ever sold it did not do them and that was probably why they sold it in the first place. We have done timing belt/tensioner, both drive axles, breaks, struts, engine mounts, and turn signal switch, spark plugs, plug wires, and had the engine detailed. The car has been excellent with no mishaps.

Easy to Drive
By jordanv2323 on 07/31/07 20:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

Probably the eaisest car to drive. It is great for its day!!

Do you really want one?
By redjetta98 on 10/27/05 13:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

The Jetta is an interesting car in the beginning when you get it and step on the gas and let out the clutch it feels good you want to drive it. However as you begin life's journey with the vehicles things start to break such as the back rotors which wear out every 40,000 miles because of a "design flaw" the window cable, not the motor, fray because of a "design flaw", the O2 sensor fails because of a "design flaw". Bottom line the entire car is a design flaw and is made with cheap parts which snap together in some instances. Don't be fooled by its good looks, these cars are money pits. Why do people still own them? Most likely they owe more than what the car is worth and are just trying to get by.

Great Car
By great car on 08/24/05 16:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 103,000 miles on it in 2004. The paint is still very shiny (exclusive to wolfsburg painting techniques) and the suspension, wheel bearings and other components were still in great condition. The car has decent pickup for a 4-cyl. (faster than my honda) and the 5 speed transmission works beautifully. The engine idles very smoothly and is very reliable. My clutch did however go out at about 107,000 miles which is normal. I get many complements about my car and I love it. The only problem is the door trim, which any able bodied person can fix for 4 dollars by buying a tube of automotive adhesive. Install NEUSPEED products!

Please do NOT buy a VW Jetta
By Amy1234 on 04/13/05 22:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

Jettas are a maintenence nightmare! Since I got my Jetta (new in 1998), the following are only some of the problems I have had (most occured REPEATEDLY or were never resolved): window motors went out 6 times, cruise control (fixed twice, still doesn't work), volume control on radio, side plastic moldings don't stay on, keyless entry broke less than a year after buying, faulty front spoiler. To top it all off, I just found out I have $7,000 in transmission repairs. Everyone who I have spoken with has had similar problems and several VW owners I know have or are trying to get their cars declared lemons. I am NOT a person who complains at much...but it is ridiculous that VW is still in business.

Dependable
By vwluv on 11/08/04 16:22 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

Dependable, solid sedan that is both fun to drive yet feels safe compact

electical nightmare
By eabrennan on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I always wanted a Jetta,and I still think they are the slickest looking vehicles. Unfortunately,I have had countless problems with it. Most ofthe problems are electrical in nature.The cruise control went two years ago,and no one seems to be able to fix it. The volume goes up when I try to turn it down. The power windows are always in need of fixing. The inside door handles don't work in lower temperatures.Many are the days I have had to crawl to the backseat to get out. Once,on my commute home, the hazards came on and the horn started beeping for no apparent reason. Recently,my horn started beeping if I took a left hand turn in temps above 80.

Cute but not worth it . . .
By JettaGirl ?? on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Jetta as my first brand new car. There are lights in my dash that NEVER worked, the key didn't work at first, I have a lot of rollback even though I drive an automative, I have had successive tire blowouts due to a now recalled part, the car was stuck in park for a week until it was finally fixed, the alarm tends to short out, I have had TWO electrical FIRES from "closing the door too many times" and have had other parts of my car fall apart from the day the warranty ended. Yes Jettas drive great and have lots of great features, but you will pay in the end for the lack of reliablity.