Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

a big bottomless hole in my wallet
By okayt

1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago. The muffler fell off twice in 1 week right after I got it along with the siding (back on w/ double-sided tape) & the spoiler. Had to fix the ignition switch, buy a new radio/cd player. Several sets of new tires. Blinker/brake light problems which only worked for a year & stopped working again. The 2 back windows are being held up with pcs of wood. The power locks don't work from the inside (they'll lock me in). AC adaptor doesn't work & I was told they couldn't fix it. The glove compartment handle snapped off. & now it's back in the shop for some unknown reason. If it's more than a couple hundred I'm buying a new car & never buying a Dub again

The seat color & the fact that they're heated

The bike rack is atrocious and I wish I could remove it. And everyone's right about the cup holders... it only holds a can. Oh and certifying more people to fix them. Design it so I can check my own fluids and fix the issues myself like I could with my old Sable :(

bullet proof for the most part
By kolt

1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 4dr Sedan

I have owned my jetta for about a year got it with 137k replaced the struts pads cleaned the rotors replaced the belts and got a new exhaust. Given how old the car was with the miles all that should be expected I now have 160k plus and I'm replacing the clutch and motor mounts but the car Neva has left me stranded always starts is sweet in the snow and will eat a stock civic. With mods will keep up wit fast cars. Relatively cheap to fix if you can dyi. Its got a good amount of torque for carrying hills but not so much top end for speeding tickets if your looking for a decent looking out side a very Nice inside and and decent lil 4 banger this is what your want v-tec virtually tourqeless economy car

low rpm torque good for hills and saving gas the interior looks much newer than the outside heated seats great corners

more simplicity to design too many special tools than domestic or hondas don't need. depending on the problem could be costly a 6 speed tranny for highway cruising

The Jetta that couldn't be killed
By DJ

1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new and have put almost 200,000 trouble free miles on it. The fit and finish of this car is on par with anything made currently and with minor suspension upgrades has been a blast to drive. It may not out accelerate most cars in a straight line but it corners great. The only major repair was the transmission which nuked at 159,000 miles, but I didn't expect to have it last that long. I would reccomend this car to anyone looking for a inexpensive, fun, reliable, economical, great looking car. It would be a safe first car for a young driver. Someone buying a used one should check service history and make sure window regulators are in working order.

The great ggas mileage (almost 30 mpg), looks, reliability, interior fit and finish, and buttons galore. This car feels very sturdy when compared to other comparable cars.

This car is a little over-engineered for the price which means some repairs are costly (clutch). But this makes for a sturdy safe feeling car. I highly recommend upgrading the suspension and getting the best tires you can afford. Those two upgrades make the car feel tons better.

Sporty, reliable, but slow
By blackjettak2

1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 4dr Sedan

This is a a fun car but when the shocks wear out, as mine have it drives like a waterbed when you push it hard, it is fast off the line but it is overall a slow car this one really needs a turbo....:) The protective door moldings do tend to come loose, and my car is have some issues with door pulls that turn white in the sun... other then that, super reliable, easy to work on, and a head turner even when in factory state, and most of all those heated sport seats in our cold canadian winter..:)

heated seats, awesome 8 speaker sound, recaro manufactered heated sport seats, good looks, standard alloys

a faster engine, wish the 1.8 turbo was out already...and sportier suspension, and a standard CD player...

the worst car I have ever had
By funkykat

The first 1.5 years were great but
now,I have replaced exhaust 3 times,
clutch rod broke, tried to use hazzard
lites, didn't work, have replaced both
front and rear brakes and rotors, car
now does not like to start in wet
weather. horn is malfunctioning and had
to pull the fuse to stop it. window
washer feature comes out in a small
stream of fluid. coolant needs to be
purchased at the dealer so it is
inconvenient and unsafe. it is not the
car to have if you don't have one to
rely on while it is in the garage. and
it will be, all the time. I will never
own another VW

look, fun to drive. heated seats

everything besides the engine and the style. which has been changed already anyway