1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Best Beater
By tim249 on 01/03/15 02:03 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

I average 48mpg in my TDI, bought this car for an even $1000 (etested & saftied). Came with some racing mod's done (whatever). Had it for a year, replaced one $75 hose and one set of tires for $120 on sale. So in total I've put $1195 in this car (I also only pay $89 a month to insure it as a young male driver). Also being 6'2" I still fit in it nicely enough. It has 456000kms on it and works great and I'm still driving it as my daily driver and farm car. I work the heck out of this car and it's cost me nothing, I've easily paid this car several times over in fuel savings. I'll never buy a new car in my life if I can buy beaters like this.

98 VW TDI
By punta on 01/03/13 11:54 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

240,000 miles of saving me fuel,,,bought new for 13,9999 saved more of the purchase price in fuel saving over the past 14 years...This vech. has been great,,average.. mpg 47...orig, fuel filter,,clutch...only replaced timing belt 3,,times changed the oil every 7500 miles,,...and tires....that is it...Liability insurance and just drive it...Why over do the maintance....Don't let the dealerships take your hard earn money....Good diesel fuel goes a long ways in these motors....No interior parts have broke yet...Note this car has never been garaged... Basic Jetta tdi,,roll up windows,,5 speed,,cruise,No AC,,I live in the Northwest...Get real,,this is all anyone needs...

a big bottomless hole in my wallet
By okayt on 01/24/12 17:36 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago. The muffler fell off twice in 1 week right after I got it along with the siding (back on w/ double-sided tape) & the spoiler. Had to fix the ignition switch, buy a new radio/cd player. Several sets of new tires. Blinker/brake light problems which only worked for a year & stopped working again. The 2 back windows are being held up with pcs of wood. The power locks don't work from the inside (they'll lock me in). AC adaptor doesn't work & I was told they couldn't fix it. The glove compartment handle snapped off. & now it's back in the shop for some unknown reason. If it's more than a couple hundred I'm buying a new car & never buying a Dub again

best car i've ever had
By char on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

bought it brand new, now approaching 240k miles. i really had nothing break, just things that wear out. a couple of years ago i got new shocks so it drives like it's brand new. still on original clutch and rear brakes. actuallly the air conditioner went out this summer. i don't know what went wrong with it. this car exceeded my most optimistic hopes - i couldn't be happier. my last tank i got 48 mpg and i never have to add oil.

Great all around vehicle
By Dan G on 01/29/10 20:26 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive, reliable and gets 40 mpg city driving, 50+ highway. Trim is poor, out and in. Door, manual door locks, molding, glove box, nobs, all have been broke. Living in Denver, CO, it starts in cold and takes a few miles to warm up - that is diesel, no problem. Runs up to the mountains at speed. With 200K, finally replaced clutch. Lots of cooling hoses which are not easy to replace. German engineering: what are thinking? Frustrating to work on, fortunately, that does not occur very often. ANY work by an independent, German mech costs $$$, parts are outrageously $$$, I know my junk yard guy. NO trouble with engine,fuel, cooling, heating, electric systems (manual windows).

Another great VW
By trav87 on 01/26/10 19:59 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used from a local VW dealer, and abuse the snot out of it. I autocross and do hill climbs with this car, as well as daily drive it. Normal wear and tear items get replaced, and regular maintenance keep things going strong. As with any used car, parts tend to wear out faster than new, so be prepared to spend money keeping them going. Do your homework and never buy a used car without having it checked out!

Good car
By German on 01/11/10 17:37 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Good car, great on gas will buy an other vw again.

never buying a VW again
By no more vw's on 12/09/09 14:12 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

car ran well for about a year before everything went wrong. Bought with 76,000 now has 130,000 miles Muffler fell off about 7 times resulting in lots of repair costs. When everything seemed ok the distributor went and needed new wires. After that the spark plugs had a problem resulting in gas killing my catalytic convertor and o2 sensors that =$1,200 worth of repairs. Had steering problems and a few days ago the clutch broke and stuck to the floor. Quick fix for about $200 bucks but warned that the clutch will go very soon. Body is rusting faster and faster where it is to the point that you cannot even jack the car up without the body crumbling. Replacing car ASAP and never buying VW again

Beg to differ
By gys98jetta on 11/23/09 15:55 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Great to drive to Sacramento and back and to work and to all my friends houses and then do it all over again.

bullet proof for the most part
By kolt on 10/19/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 4dr Sedan

I have owned my jetta for about a year got it with 137k replaced the struts pads cleaned the rotors replaced the belts and got a new exhaust. Given how old the car was with the miles all that should be expected I now have 160k plus and I'm replacing the clutch and motor mounts but the car Neva has left me stranded always starts is sweet in the snow and will eat a stock civic. With mods will keep up wit fast cars. Relatively cheap to fix if you can dyi. Its got a good amount of torque for carrying hills but not so much top end for speeding tickets if your looking for a decent looking out side a very Nice inside and and decent lil 4 banger this is what your want v-tec virtually tourqeless economy car