Used 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Mk3 jetta / alot Of miles Per gallón
By John Gianni

1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I got this Car for 800$ and put On it Around 2300$ But is a great invesment. Paint , socks,breaks, radiator,hoses ,housing hose,
Water pump,timing belt,custom rims & tires michelline/ rims and tires same size like original recomend , front windshield,interior small parts , and clips, Many i got On eBay , junk yards ,México, vw parts - this Car is very economical To use San Diego To los Ángeles Around Trip 25$ On gas
I fix it With my friends Looks Good - restored was The best desicion 1998 jetta manual Gl
No words To describe is a old car But give me All i Need We have 5 cars and VW jetta MK3 family We love it !!

Best Beater
By tim249

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

I average 48mpg in my TDI, bought this car for an even $1000 (etested & saftied). Came with some racing mod's done (whatever). Had it for a year, replaced one $75 hose and one set of tires for $120 on sale. So in total I've put $1195 in this car (I also only pay $89 a month to insure it as a young male driver). Also being 6'2" I still fit in it nicely enough. It has 456000kms on it and works great and I'm still driving it as my daily driver and farm car. I work the heck out of this car and it's cost me nothing, I've easily paid this car several times over in fuel savings. I'll never buy a new car in my life if I can buy beaters like this.

As far as features go I have the basic power locks and trunk. Manual everything else, and I'm fine with it. Handles well, shifts great all in all a great find.

Doesn't come with a built in block heater (I think they do in the new ones) so if it's really cold (-12'c)ish I need to climb under to put a magnetic block heater on, which is hard since the oil pan is aluminum(not magnetic). No arm rests either...life sucks right? Only down side though, also waiting for the only diesel pumps at gas stations lol

98 VW TDI
By punta

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

240,000 miles of saving me fuel,,,bought new for 13,9999 saved more of the purchase price in fuel saving over the past 14 years...This vech. has been great,,average.. mpg 47...orig, fuel filter,,clutch...only replaced timing belt 3,,times changed the oil every 7500 miles,,...and tires....that is it...Liability insurance and just drive it...Why over do the maintance....Don't let the dealerships take your hard earn money....Good diesel fuel goes a long ways in these motors....No interior parts have broke yet...Note this car has never been garaged...
Basic Jetta tdi,,roll up windows,,5 speed,,cruise,No AC,,I live in the Northwest...Get real,,this is all anyone needs...

a big bottomless hole in my wallet
By okayt

1998 Volkswagen Jetta K2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago. The muffler fell off twice in 1 week right after I got it along with the siding (back on w/ double-sided tape) & the spoiler. Had to fix the ignition switch, buy a new radio/cd player. Several sets of new tires. Blinker/brake light problems which only worked for a year & stopped working again. The 2 back windows are being held up with pcs of wood. The power locks don't work from the inside (they'll lock me in). AC adaptor doesn't work & I was told they couldn't fix it. The glove compartment handle snapped off. & now it's back in the shop for some unknown reason. If it's more than a couple hundred I'm buying a new car & never buying a Dub again

The seat color & the fact that they're heated

The bike rack is atrocious and I wish I could remove it. And everyone's right about the cup holders... it only holds a can. Oh and certifying more people to fix them. Design it so I can check my own fluids and fix the issues myself like I could with my old Sable :(

best car i've ever had
By char

1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

bought it brand new, now approaching 240k miles. i really had nothing break, just things that wear out. a couple of years ago i got new shocks so it drives like it's brand new. still on original clutch and rear brakes. actuallly the air conditioner went out this summer. i don't know what went wrong with it. this car exceeded my most optimistic hopes - i couldn't be happier. my last tank i got 48 mpg and i never have to add oil.

longevity.

i think the front of the car is a little ugly.