Good car, but it will cost you in the long run...
By flint879 on
1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan
This car was great when my wife and I first bought it. Great gas mileage, very reliable when travelling long distances and it wasn't bad to drive. I wouldn't recommend owning this car though. The gas mileage is great, but it's a Volkswagen, parts for this car are not easy to find and when you find them, they are hella expensive. Since I've owned this car (4 years), I've had to replace the transmission, 3 starters, exhaust system, fuel pump, and other such things. It doesn't do well in terms of going up hills because the engine is so small it can barely make it up most hills. Other than the gas mileage, I don't care much for this car.
Favorite Features
It's got nice interior, it can take a beating, very good on long road trips, and great gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
This car, like with all the 90s Jettas, are a 50/50. There are people who get the ones that last them forever, and there are the people who get one that has a million problems with it. I unfortunately got one that has a million problems with it. I had to replace the transmission once, the exhaust system, fuel pump, 3 starters and little other things here and there. If you decide to purchase one of the 90s Volkswagen Jettas, be very weary. I've had this car for 4 years and I've put 3 times more into the car than I paid for it. My sister-in-law has the same car and she has zero problems with it and she's had it for 3 years. Like I said, it's a 50/50 with this car, be cautious.