1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Made me a VW fan for life.

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Review

Made me a VW fan for life.
By Gunar on

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I got this car 6 years ago for my 16th birthday. I was the first of my friends to be able to drive. The car had just hit 100,000 when I got it... Being the only one who could drive I was always loading my Jetta (we named it Ronald) with friends and going all over the place. It's never let me down. It's still running, and I bet it's going to run for quite a long time more. I've put 65,000 miles on it in 6 years, with only routine maintenance, and it's still chugging along as great at it was when I got it... The VR6 has TONS of get up and go, and people are amazed how fast this thing will get going when I put my foot down. This is my first Volkswagen, and it's NOT going to be my last one.

The feel...There is such quality in this car, nothing ever rattles, the panels are put together as tight as humanly possible. Has tons of get up and go. Love the VR6. Passing on the freeway is a breeze. ENORMOUS trunk. I fit suitcases for 5 people in there! The greatest handling in the world.

The little plastic pockets on the sides of the seats break so easily! I swear this thing gets worse gas mileage than my dad's F350. (No, nothing's leaking.) Maybe I just gas it too much. Love that feeling. :) Side trim falls off in Summer. Have to take it off and sand it and reattach it.