1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
car for daddy
By olly on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Cheap and easy to repair, lot of small problems - locks, airbag cable, drains but no expensive repair. engine and gearbox not killable. big fuel economy (small engine), very comfortable. The only 2 things i dont like; the exterior sound on highway and I have the impression that i have a truck engine with no power but noisy.

car for daddy
By Olly on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Fun German car
By Mephistopholes on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a few months ago and all I've really driven with it since then is long trips on the freeway. This car gets very very respectable gas milage for the freeway trips and its gearing is such that it has plenty of passing punch even in top gear at 70 MPH. Also this car is fun, it may be somewhat underpowered but it is certainly a car which wants to be hustled and loves the twisties. A+ German engineering in a resonable car.

I love this car
By VR6-inside on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Well this is my second MKIII jetta. My last one was a GL and now i upgraded to a GLX. I love this car. It is so fun to drive. The VR6 is a great motor. I added intake and a preformance chip.... the car feels even better! Stock sound system is nice too.

This is a crappy car!
By Fed-up on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I will never own another Volkswagen. The timimg belt went on this one at 94,000! I was told by the Dealer to have it checked at 100,000. Then the transmission went at 112,000. Crappy, crappy car. You need special tools to work on it so you can only go to a VW dealer who charges three times as much as a regular mechanic. My friend who lives in Germany told me that Volkswagen wasn't any good. I should have listened.

Looks Cool, Is a piece of Junk
By Disillusioned on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I've had so many problems with this car I cannot even remember them all. The tailpipe fell right off the car while I was driving once. The electrical system went out. The ignition switch had to be replaced, the door strips came off three times, the handles have broken off the glove compartment, the lights have gone out in the console. I have taken excellent care of this car from day one and it has caused me nothing but grief. NOP NOT BUY ONE OF THESE. My girlfriends 12 year old Honda Accord with 115k miles on it is twice as reliable as this Jetta was, even when it was new. I will NEVER buy a Volkswagen again.

Looks cool, shoddily built
By Robbie VW on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I've had troble after trouble with this car from the day I bought it. And the service and parts are so expensive. I should have bought a Honda Accord.

97 Jetta GT
By VwDude00 on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new and I have enjoyed it very much. I have had no problems mechanically. I've had problems with the quirky stock alarm system. The adhesive on the door trim tends to weaken after a few years other than that I am very pleased. It looks as good as the first day I drove it home.

decent car, good value
By Joeeeeee on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this this 1997 white VW Jetta GLS a month ago and I am pretty pleased with the car. I had to fix some minor problems such as the brakes and the wheel alignment but those are typical repair costs. This car doesn't have good acceleration as an automatic and is frustrating if you want to cut lanes on a freeway. However, once you hit the gas pedal, the pickup speed more than offsets its poor acceleration, as I don't have any problems hitting 90-95 with this car.

Well worth it.
By askibum02 on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I've had my Jetta Jazz for just under three years now. I think that for the money I paid it is a great car. My complaints are the clock spring needing to be replaced at 60,000 miles and the alternator and starter going at the same time at 70,000. Other than that all the parts last as long as they would on any other car. I have 92,000 miles on it now, and I would expect to put at least that many more miles on it befoer any other problems arise.