1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Fun to Drive, Poor Quality
By Fjv17 on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it's always been fun to drive. However quality leaves a lot to be desired. I've had several annoying problems before and after the warranty expired. I've replaced: Coil Packs (several times), wheel bearings, Door Locks, Outside Moldings, & the Cooling Fan (twice). Driver side seat is broken off one of it's hinges and the Secondary air pump is loud as it can be. Of course all of these things are not cheap to fix. Most of my driving is Highway & I don't drive it hard. Is it too much to ask for a VW to last more than a couple of years?

Great Drive - Fairly Reliable
By Jimmycricket on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've put 35K on this since buying it and they have been a great 35K. Driven long distances, cities, twisty coastal roads are the best! Most fun I've had in a car. Just started having some electrical problems, but until this not one single issue (other than molding coming off and having to be glued back). I am debating selling at 65K miles because of what could come. Want another VW - been a pleasure.

Dont buy VW
By Liz on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I will never again buy a German VW. poor quality. If you like to replace parts a lot, this is thw car for you.

Love it
By btaylor on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this car!

don't but a volkswagan!
By migo on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

i bought a jetta about two years ago from a private owner. i had a diagnostic done and it passed with flying colors. shortly after i bought it, it needed a alternator and belt, so i took it in to get fixed. $1,000 later, i went to service my car....$900. then my transmission went out for no apparent reason...$4800!! the car is a nice car if you have money to pay for repairs and service. i learned my lesson after spending $6500 in repairs in a little less than two years; the hard way.

Not a good bet
By Mackey on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I love my Jetta BUT...It is always broken. I have had it for 30000 miles and I have replaced almost the entire ignition, not at the same time, expensive seat bolts, the thermostat, the CO2 converters, headlights, various engine parts and fans, and the trunk light will NOT work. On the good side I have a chip in it and an intake. The result is a throaty powerful car that is very responsive and a blast to drive. Its a blast to drive if you have the car though, mine was in the shop so much it felt like it was there way more than it wasn't.

Can't stop driving it
By Live2skifast on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for one reason. It was a Trek, which means it has roofracks. Then two of my buddies and I hope in it in PA and ended up in Colorado. Talk about a test drive. It as an amazing trip and the car kicked @$$ even at 12,000 ft. when we went over Loveland Pass. It's still kicking hard 3 months later, with only a new pair of tires on it.

Never again
By Sandra on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

Since I bought my new 97 Jetta, i've had three oil leaks, replaced water pump, radiator, strut mounts/struts, Secondary Air Valve, wiper mechinaism, tires, washer fluid sprayer, engine light comes on, leak detection pump, fog light (which you can't replace yourself), antenna mast, starter, muffler, all belts, trunk lid alignment, tail light and ignition lock modifing. Customer support was rude and unhelpful, now ask me if I would buy another Volkswagon.

VW Farfrumworking
By Tarrytown on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I will never buy another VW. My transmission went at 97000 and had a costly engine coil replacement at 85,000. After 2 years of owning the car I have replaced virtually everything. The suspension has been a nightmare and the service I have received from VW has been even worse. I have experienced numerous electrical problem, the ride stinks and with the cost of repairs I could be driving a Bentley for less. Unfortunately, it's been a big disappointment for me.

Great car, for the most part
By Not Pink on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997. Since then I have had a few quirky problems (like the driver and passenger side door locks needed repair twice. The locks also freeze in the winter. The cruise control and the trunk lock also needed repair) otherwise I have had no major mechanical problems. I think the biggest thing to watch for is the front end alignment. The car needs to be aligned quite often, which could be due to the fact that I live in Maine and the roads are terrible in the winter, but...I have been through 4 pairs of tires in 6 yrs. Overall its a great car.