Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Lovin' it
By ADAM KEISER

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful to me. I have only had but a few problems, i.e. waterpump, starter. It has taken well to all types of weather.

I love the performance, I do have upgrades, i.e. exhaust, engine tuning and a short shift kit. It is a wonderful every day driver.

The only think that comes to mind it the lack of quality of the factory paint.

Best Car
By Shorty

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I bought my car about 5 months ago and nothing has gone wrong with it. My 97 Trek has Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, CD player (aftermarket), Power Sunroof, and Anti-Lock Brakes. The car is really fun to drive and I really like the manual transmision and clutch. The only thing I don't like is that there is a short little high pitched squeak when I first begin to open the sunroof and it lasts about one second.

Sunroof, overall exterior attractiveness

Sunroof squeak

Even the service manager agrees
By tcb

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned. The electrical system has had to be rewired, the starter replaced, the computer replaced, and the windows have been repaired numerous times. Even the service agrees that they are all common Jetta problems, he's just never seen them in one place.

Typical Jetta
By VerbalK

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought mine as a cert. preowned over two years ago. I just recently replaced the muffler and a wheel bearing.. my first repair since i got it (the dealer replaced a few sensors when I bought it to make it CPO). overall extremely reliable, great city car and feel solid on the highway. This is my second Jetta, and prolly won't be my last. So long as I stay in shape and don't require a typical big butt comfy interior, I should be happy with the sparse VW. Also, my first experiance with a CPO has been great. I thought it would be a rip off, but I think they really did make some key repairs AFTER I bought the car to make it more reliable. Kudos to the Cooley VW staff in East Greenbush NY

great heat and a/c. easy to work on (assuming you have an honest mechanic with access to parts). great interior design. Nice solid clutch, decent acceleration, great steering and turning radius (like all VW's)

like all lower line VW, much of the little things are made of platic, and break (a/c vent for instance). It good because you can very easily replace almost all these items yourself. It's bad since you'd hope they could make them more reliable. and of course, the cup holder are silly.

Great car ... but I've out grown it
By Eloquence

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This car was amazing while I owned it. I purchased it with about 60000 mi on it. In almost 4 years the car has given me little or no trouble whatsoever. I have had to dish out only about $1000 over and above regular maintenance costs. I was in an accident in 2001 and I almost totaled the Jetta. It needed over $5000 in repairs but when I got it back it was just as good as ever. A robust, stout, little beast... that's why I choose VWs. Overall, it's an amazing car...which is why I am buying a 2001 Jetta now! Great trunk space, excellent handling, and VW reliability have made this car a winner in my eyes. Keep up the build quality VW.

Smooth manual tranny, excellent trunk space, great handling, VW reliability and toughness, practical yet semi-luxurious.

Back seat space must be improved...my 6 ft friends always complained about that! Better acceleration!! The 2.0 is very slow!! I can't wait for the VR6. Cause compared to this slug its a rocket!