Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Haz

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car was the never-ending money pit! Engine had to be replaced along with two clutches. Window motors were constantly breaking. Electric side mirrors stopped working. Glove compartment hinges broke. Windshield washer system stopped working. Molding was falling off. Seat recliners never worked. Emergency break broke several times which resulted in the car rolling into the street and finally - a LAKE! The repairs were incredibly expensive compared with US or Japanese made cars.

Great looking car. When the engine worked, it was a sweet ride.

If you own one - get rid of it!

Awesome car
By josh deeds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I love my jetta. I just bought a new Saturn VUE and love to continue to drive my Jetta. I have put over 120,000 miles on it. I've taken it cross country 5 times round trip from San Diego to West Virginia and it keeps on going without any problems. As long as you change the oil and get a tune up regularly I believe it will last well into the 200,000 mark. I would recommend it to anyone who wants an economical and fun car with a lot of pick up and go.

Great Car if you get a good one!
By Piran

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at the end of last summer. It was a one-owner car and had very high mileage. But for the price I got it for, I couldn't complain. So far, I haven't had any problems. I had to fix the power locks and touch up the paint a bit. Still looks great though. I've replaced the entire suspension with Eibach springs and Koni shocks. Feels much more competent. I added an intake and a GIAC chip. Also replaced the stereo with an Alpine head unit. The car goes very well for the mileage. At the mileage, it doesn't have any rattles or intruding wind noise. People are shocked to find out the mileage after they've been for a ride in it. Good car if you are lucky to get a non-lemon.

Bose sound system. VR6 roar and power. Great HVAC system.

Fix ABS problems (especially in 97 VR6 cars) and other electronic bugs. Headlight system could be better. Some plastics questionable. Better, more stiffer steering feel would be better for it to be a real driver's car.

Somewhat disappointed
By MJM

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for my daughters. They hated it it. 1st VW I've owned in 25 yrs. I expected more from the company. Just drove it 700 miles home and was surprised at how well it rode and drove at it's age and mileage. *However* nothing else impressed me. The trunk is huge but that does not make up for the poor electrical design. Had to replace a taillight 4 times in 6 months. I know others who had the same problem I couldn't find a cupholder? Is that what that thing is called? The fuse box is in the most ridiculous place possible. You just can't get to it. Surprised that there is no gas cap cover interior lock. To me, the car is no big deal

Huge trunk; heat-a/c; cannot lock your keys in the car; great looking vehicle; long distance driving is no problem;

Check-Engine light too sensitive, O2 problems seem common as does electrical;

Lovin' it
By ADAM KEISER

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful to me. I have only had but a few problems, i.e. waterpump, starter. It has taken well to all types of weather.

I love the performance, I do have upgrades, i.e. exhaust, engine tuning and a short shift kit. It is a wonderful every day driver.

The only think that comes to mind it the lack of quality of the factory paint.