1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
smart/creative enginerin-deficient qual.
By don't buy; get Civic on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

bought this car a year ago with radio/speakers stolen. shortly after,exhaust broke loose and paid $450 for new dual-muffler system (excluding catalytic converter, fixed everything from there back. touchy trunk opener latch but fixed. fixed front/rear alignment 1 month ago; needs rear again;no big bumps.brakes glazed over.check engine lit;sensor near fuel tank dealing with economy.replaced pwr steering reservoir & 2 hoses costing an excessive $520.transmission giving out? (jerk during accel).gas not bad, but could be better.gets 29hwy but Civic more power and runs 38hwy

97 GLX Reliability issues
By Scrappy on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Door alarm problem - car arms itself whenever the rear door is opened or that electric window is operated. Need 2 keys to get it started. Engine Sputters - Car sometimes hesitates and runs poorly for a few days then is fine for weeks at a time. Side door molding strips keep falling off. Buy some doublesided tape ahead of time. No big deal to fix. No place to put stuff. Ex: Cup hldr under ashtray so unusable for anything taller than soda. though. FIX ELECTRICAL PROBS! VW's notorious for this. You'd think theyd have solved by now.

Love-Hate Relationship
By lastvw?!? on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

There aren't a lot of cars that offer more driving bang for your buck than this one. The VR6 engine is plenty powerful, the handling is up to the job and there are more than enough luxury features, including excellent sport seats and a power sunroof. The problem is VW's laughably sub-par build quality. This car has had problems with the clutch, the shift mechanism, the air conditioning, the cruise control, several engine computer chips and so on. Then there are all the trim pieces that have come apart or dropped off completely. Final word: Great to drive, but poorly built.

Jetta Trek...What an amazing car.
By Mardin on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 97 VW jetta from a private party. It is my first car. I have had it for just over a year now and have put about 5000 miles on it since purchase. This car runs great, very reliable and always fun to drive. Everywhere I go I turn heads, because the car is in such good shape and just a sight to see. I would reccomend a 5 speed VW jetta (esp Trek) to anyone looking for a dependable car with great handling, a smooth ride, and more power than you would espect from a normal 4 cyl. car.

Woooooo-whoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
By JENNIE on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

In one sentence, The Jetta rocks! Although I have the bottom of the line Jetta (GL), it has been fun to drive and a great reliable car. This puppy has taken me on numerous road trips in comfort and style. In its seventh year with me the biggest problem I've had is replacing the A/C... and the smallest problem I've had is replacing the O2 sensor on a couple occasions. As a whole I would definitely recommend this fine piece of German machinery to anyone!

I love this car.
By Hi on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Jetta all over the country. I absolutley love it. It has never given me a problem, it's stylish and affordable. Can't go wrong.

Fun to Drive, Poor Quality
By Fjv17 on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it's always been fun to drive. However quality leaves a lot to be desired. I've had several annoying problems before and after the warranty expired. I've replaced: Coil Packs (several times), wheel bearings, Door Locks, Outside Moldings, & the Cooling Fan (twice). Driver side seat is broken off one of it's hinges and the Secondary air pump is loud as it can be. Of course all of these things are not cheap to fix. Most of my driving is Highway & I don't drive it hard. Is it too much to ask for a VW to last more than a couple of years?

Great Drive - Fairly Reliable
By Jimmycricket on 06/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've put 35K on this since buying it and they have been a great 35K. Driven long distances, cities, twisty coastal roads are the best! Most fun I've had in a car. Just started having some electrical problems, but until this not one single issue (other than molding coming off and having to be glued back). I am debating selling at 65K miles because of what could come. Want another VW - been a pleasure.

Dont buy VW
By Liz on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I will never again buy a German VW. poor quality. If you like to replace parts a lot, this is thw car for you.

Love it
By btaylor on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this car!