1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great automtive investment
By QuantumSyncro on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

This used car has been fantastic. It gets near 50 mpg and the ride is great. Sound build and rattle free even at this mileage. Would definitely recommend a used VW TDI to anyone who was considering a diesel. These late 90's TDI's are very reliable, even moreso then the 99.5's and priced very reasonably.

Fantastic car..when it's not in the shop
By Still in Texas on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta new in the summer of 1997. The engine, transmission, brakes and handling have never let me down. I am absolutely amazed at how well the major components work and how poorly the other components function. Since, I've owned it, I've replaced the side molding (twice), the rear tail light, and an interior light. The A/C recirc button malfunctioned, the passenger side locks freeze every winter. Once the passenger side lock actually came out as I pulled the key out of it! Several other little problems as well. This can be a very enjoyable car to drive, just be prepared for all the little repairs that neeed to get done every 6 months..

I'm still happy with my Jetta GT.
By Romael on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I’ve had no problems for the first 4 years. Luckily it came without power windows. The alarm work sporadically but now not at all. The battery was replaced once. The molding was a problem until I found that epoxy and tape together holds longer. Pretty expensive to maintenance after warranty expired until I found a reasonable non- dealer VW Expert. With routine maintenance and only 1 driver it’s been a great car. I’m constantly getting offers from young people to buy it.

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By Robin M on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

We bought our Jetta Trek new in 1997. We've had three of the power windows go out (at 26,000, 30,000, and 34,000 miles), replaced the clutch twice, replaced the brakes three times, replaced the battery four times, replaced both our power front door locks, and now our alarm arms itself at random while we are driving the car. VW customer service also leaves much to be desired. I thought I would love this car, and to be fair it is fun to drive, but I will never buy another VW because of all the problems we've had with the car and customer service.

smart/creative enginerin-deficient qual.
By don't buy; get Civic on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

bought this car a year ago with radio/speakers stolen. shortly after,exhaust broke loose and paid $450 for new dual-muffler system (excluding catalytic converter, fixed everything from there back. touchy trunk opener latch but fixed. fixed front/rear alignment 1 month ago; needs rear again;no big bumps.brakes glazed over.check engine lit;sensor near fuel tank dealing with economy.replaced pwr steering reservoir & 2 hoses costing an excessive $520.transmission giving out? (jerk during accel).gas not bad, but could be better.gets 29hwy but Civic more power and runs 38hwy

97 GLX Reliability issues
By Scrappy on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Door alarm problem - car arms itself whenever the rear door is opened or that electric window is operated. Need 2 keys to get it started. Engine Sputters - Car sometimes hesitates and runs poorly for a few days then is fine for weeks at a time. Side door molding strips keep falling off. Buy some doublesided tape ahead of time. No big deal to fix. No place to put stuff. Ex: Cup hldr under ashtray so unusable for anything taller than soda. though. FIX ELECTRICAL PROBS! VW's notorious for this. You'd think theyd have solved by now.

Love-Hate Relationship
By lastvw?!? on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

There aren't a lot of cars that offer more driving bang for your buck than this one. The VR6 engine is plenty powerful, the handling is up to the job and there are more than enough luxury features, including excellent sport seats and a power sunroof. The problem is VW's laughably sub-par build quality. This car has had problems with the clutch, the shift mechanism, the air conditioning, the cruise control, several engine computer chips and so on. Then there are all the trim pieces that have come apart or dropped off completely. Final word: Great to drive, but poorly built.

Jetta Trek...What an amazing car.
By Mardin on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 97 VW jetta from a private party. It is my first car. I have had it for just over a year now and have put about 5000 miles on it since purchase. This car runs great, very reliable and always fun to drive. Everywhere I go I turn heads, because the car is in such good shape and just a sight to see. I would reccomend a 5 speed VW jetta (esp Trek) to anyone looking for a dependable car with great handling, a smooth ride, and more power than you would espect from a normal 4 cyl. car.

Woooooo-whoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
By JENNIE on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

In one sentence, The Jetta rocks! Although I have the bottom of the line Jetta (GL), it has been fun to drive and a great reliable car. This puppy has taken me on numerous road trips in comfort and style. In its seventh year with me the biggest problem I've had is replacing the A/C... and the smallest problem I've had is replacing the O2 sensor on a couple occasions. As a whole I would definitely recommend this fine piece of German machinery to anyone!

I love this car.
By Hi on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I have driven my Jetta all over the country. I absolutley love it. It has never given me a problem, it's stylish and affordable. Can't go wrong.