Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Very Delicate
By Steve

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Our Jetta had many mechanical problems after the 100,000 mile mark. The first was a major auto trans rebuild. Then, the starter, drive axles, power steering hose, all four power window operators (at various times), cruise control and more. Volkswagen's parts are expensive. It is a nice driving car when running, but it is very delicate.

Favorite Features

The interior and roominess.

Suggested Improvements

The brake pedal is too high compared to in other cars.

Relibable Little Car
By reignevryd

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have to say that my first experience back with a Jetta wasn't a good one. It was a piece of junk. It was a 1995 GL, however it could have been a good car at one time. Now, I have the '97 GLS, bought used, and it has been a very reliable car. It feels good knowing that every morning when I go to work, it will fire right up. My car has had a few minor issues with the electrical system, such as the door locks and sunroof, but otherwise it is a great ride. I like the dash setup, and as a parent, this is crucial in order to control the locks, windows, and lighting with one hand.

Favorite Features

I like the good gas mileage, dash, windows, locks, overall reliability, performance, and big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Work on exterior door locks.

'97 Jetta Jazz
By EB

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Jazz 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved this car when I got it new. I drove it with 115,000 miles with no problems. Then the 1st transmission died (manual). At 146,000 miles the second one died and I am ready to retire it. I still love the car but its not so much fun without the 2, 3 and 5th gears!

Favorite Features

This car is fun to drive. It looks great and has a comfortable interior. It has good pick up and got me where I needed to go for almost 10 years.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, transmission, transmission. Oh, and bigger cup holders!

Superb
By ultrasam

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Volkswagen Jetta is an amazing car. It has been superbly reliable and really fun to drive. The VR6 motor is amazing. I've spent maybe $400 in unexpected maintenance since I bought car new. VWs last forever.

Favorite Features

The VR6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

It could use a lower, stiffer suspension.

I Love the Jetta III
By chriscois

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Our 1997 Volkswagen Jetta has been great for us. It is very fun to drive as it's the 5-speed. We replaced the front brakes and timing belt at around 90,000 miles and recently had a power window regulator go out that I couldn't fix myself. It is kind of hard to get to all the plugs during a home tune-up, but this is still a good basic engine that's relatively easy to do general maintenance on. This car may have been built in Mexico (or maybe not), but you can feel the good quality German engineering that's gone into it. It's my favourite car of the ten cars that I've owned in my lifetime!

Favorite Features

The comfy seats, tight, smooth suspension, nice placement of gear shift and pedals for driver, and nicely done dash.

Suggested Improvements

I'd love to drive the 1.8 Turbo and see some real pick up and slightly better fuel economy, but at 30+ mpg for general driving, it ain't bad.