Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Jetta
By Hank

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for over five years and have had no problems. This is my third VW and have been pleased with each. This is a fun vehicle to drive and it corners very well with minimal under steer. The heated cloth seats work great.

The heated seats and stereo.

The cup holder placement should be changed and it could use more power.

Unreliable and Expensive
By Jimbo

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I like the design and handling of this car however there have been several major issues. My car has had a series of electrical issues and you need to be a contortionist to get to the fuse box. I've had the air conditioner fail. the fan switch short out and MELT, the coil cracked (a common issue) and this is in addition to the exhaust rattling (another common problem). You expect to have to do replacement of wearable mechanicals however this is an expensive car to repair. Even basic replacement items such as struts are far more expensive than any car I've ever had. You have to go to the dealer to replace/ top off trans fluid in automatics. Idiotic.

I like the body style.

Improve reliability and stop making "special" parts that require "special tools" to replace. The use of a sealed transmission to require owners to be slaves to dealers is a criminal act in itself. Shame on VW.

Never Buy a VW
By ihatevw

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I really hate this car with a passion. Literally every day something goes wrong. Yesterday my starter went. I had it replaced. Today the idle is going crazy and its smelling like gas really bad. The coolant system is terrible. Pretty much everything on this car is designed poorly and made of plastic. The exhaust rattles of the underside of the car. The electrical system is total junk. I have had problems with this car since day one. If you are reading this and are considering getting a VW, please go buy a Honda, seriously.

None

Quit making VWs.

My VR6 is AMAZING...
By gh225345

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I really love this car. I've had it for a little over a year now and it runs excellently. I've had to replace a few minor things such as hoses and belts, clutch, and the trim started coming off but it was an easy fix with an adhesive tape that you can get from any auto parts store...it's called molding tape. I've put many high performance parts on my VW and it has 250 whp with no problems with the motor at all. I would highly recommend this vehicle. Just make sure you inspect it before you buy. My 1997.5 Jetta Vr6 has 111,982 miles on it and like I said before it runs great.

The way this car can handle the road is amazing...

Uprage your suspension. I have Bilsten fully adjustable suspension. The car is lowered a little bit but it looks great. Put some alloys on it. Cold air intake system, full exhaust, and a chip is all you really need for this car to fly.

Fun to Drive
By ape

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after test driving other similar sedans because I liked the driveability and it wanted a manual. I still like the driveability but will not buy another VW for a long time. I've replaced the distributor cap and coils more than once, replaced the battery a couple times, replaced the ignition switch, and had it stop and need towing at least twice for issues such as the distributor cap. For a long time I've explained the problems by looking at the car's age and high mileage but after reading other reviews see other owners have had similar experiences. The trim has fallen off both sides of my car and currently all of the gauges randomly drop to zero while I'm driving!

The turning radius, 5-speed manual transmission, and general driveability.