1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Save yourself!
By EPureza on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This car sucks! Definitely not worth the money you'll spend. Power window regulators break regularly, all four of them for $350 a pop. Power locks and alarm will malfunction, beware possibly VW service's ploy so you'll dump more money into it. Why even put heated seats, it only lasted less than 3 years and cost $600 to fix. Don't be fooled by its look! Save yourself!

Sport Sleeper
By New Dad on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

So, my wife has never owned anything but a VW. When her '88 Fox GL wagon finally went over the hill, we bought this car, and we love it. The Trek edition is beautiful with the flat 5-spoke 14" rims and the rear deck lid spoiler. Keep wax on it and the Fiesta Red will shine forever. The 2.0L SOHC 8V engine is fantastic. Don't let the uninspiring 115hp fool you. It's the 122lb/ft of torque that makes this car fly. You want a 5-speed. Throw on some Koni adjustable shocks/struts and you've got a European sports sedan.

very satisfied
By meli on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

this has been the most enjoyable, reliabe car I've ever owned in 59 yrs. I have never been stranded and I have loved every minute of driving it.

Low-reliability car.
By babalooo on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

Vehicle has had numerous problems from a blown manual trans, to engine, drive train, emissions, problems, you name it. Pure crap car: poor engineering, poor materials, poor design, just plain poor overall. Everyone else I know that has a VW has the same problem. VW will not fix these know generic problems like trans seal, broken locks, etc. Never again!!!

REPAIRS-REPAIRS-REPAIRS!!!!
By Jill on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

The car is in the shop as I am writing this- Havent had the car 6 months yet! This car is not reliable. Its been in the shop 6 days now and I am up to $4800 in repairs, including new starter and major electric malfunctioning and transmission. If you do not have the extra cash for these pricey repairs BEWARE!! And if you have your heart set on it, then make sure to purchase an extended warranty because you can count on breaking down. Car left me stranded with a horn that would not shut off- had to be towed. Brakes squeaks have a mind of their own. Guzzles gas like crazy. I would never purchase another VW again.

Don't buy this pain in the neck
By rockclimber on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new from the dealer w/a keyless remote. It was worthless and I had it replaced several times (thank goodness for lifetime warranties). Finally I had the whole think yanked. Electrically this car is a heap. It can self-alarm after starting w/ the key & 30 secs later it goes off. I have to tow it in for repair. Why the side mirrors are heated to 100F is beyond me. Supposedly, if the driver's door is left ajar for several mins, the car self-alarms. VW engrs figured this means the driver is being attacked, so the car disables itself. I won't buy VW again.

fundriver
By DamienL on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is my second Jetta. The first one was a 1989 GL. I just retired it at 210,000 miles. I wasn't the original owner either, but it has the original clutch, engine, and transmission.

OOPS
By Tur77tle on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Loved the jetta at first. Bought at a steal with 43,000 mi. At about 80,000 had TONS of problems. Brakes always squeak (replaced twice), electrical problems with AC, Engine lights on, brake system lights always on,and O2 sensors replced. Actually failed emissions this year (Car had to reach 600 degrees before sensors turned on). Transmission problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. And finally, the car wouldn't shift into 5th gear reliabily at all. Oh yeah, the driver side lock just fell right out!!This is odd because have very good service records. Thank god I had a great mechanic!

JETTA GT
By titanone on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

Over 6 years of reliable driving, great fuel economy and handling. Cheap to own and maintain.

Never Again
By Fitzy on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

For starters they have the worst customer service on the planet. Secondly, I have had more problems with it than I could even fit into this review. Engine light constantly comes on and VW charges $97 just to tell you why, side molding has fallen off both side doors multiple times until I finally used epoxy, my door lock on both front doors broke and the lock would spin in place instead of unlock my doors, my passenger side window fell off the track and into the door and broke into pieces, my driver side window no longer works, cruise control broke, A/C no longer works, brakes went faster than I would have imagined, and even the mufflers are garbage!