1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Haz on 06/05/05 18:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car was the never-ending money pit! Engine had to be replaced along with two clutches. Window motors were constantly breaking. Electric side mirrors stopped working. Glove compartment hinges broke. Windshield washer system stopped working. Molding was falling off. Seat recliners never worked. Emergency break broke several times which resulted in the car rolling into the street and finally - a LAKE! The repairs were incredibly expensive compared with US or Japanese made cars.

Awesome car
By josh deeds on 04/25/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I love my jetta. I just bought a new Saturn VUE and love to continue to drive my Jetta. I have put over 120,000 miles on it. I've taken it cross country 5 times round trip from San Diego to West Virginia and it keeps on going without any problems. As long as you change the oil and get a tune up regularly I believe it will last well into the 200,000 mark. I would recommend it to anyone who wants an economical and fun car with a lot of pick up and go.

Great Car if you get a good one!
By Piran on 03/26/05 00:23 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at the end of last summer. It was a one-owner car and had very high mileage. But for the price I got it for, I couldn't complain. So far, I haven't had any problems. I had to fix the power locks and touch up the paint a bit. Still looks great though. I've replaced the entire suspension with Eibach springs and Koni shocks. Feels much more competent. I added an intake and a GIAC chip. Also replaced the stereo with an Alpine head unit. The car goes very well for the mileage. At the mileage, it doesn't have any rattles or intruding wind noise. People are shocked to find out the mileage after they've been for a ride in it. Good car if you are lucky to get a non-lemon.

Somewhat disappointed
By MJM on 03/23/05 09:22 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for my daughters. They hated it it. 1st VW I've owned in 25 yrs. I expected more from the company. Just drove it 700 miles home and was surprised at how well it rode and drove at it's age and mileage. *However* nothing else impressed me. The trunk is huge but that does not make up for the poor electrical design. Had to replace a taillight 4 times in 6 months. I know others who had the same problem I couldn't find a cupholder? Is that what that thing is called? The fuse box is in the most ridiculous place possible. You just can't get to it. Surprised that there is no gas cap cover interior lock. To me, the car is no big deal

Great Little Car
By Mark on 02/04/05 15:33 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

This car has served my faithfully and reliably in the entire time only once I was stranded due to a dead battery. Have not even changed a light bulb yet. Got about 45 mpg highway and about 40 city.

Lovin' it
By ADAM KEISER on 01/05/05 15:18 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful to me. I have only had but a few problems, i.e. waterpump, starter. It has taken well to all types of weather.

Best Car
By Shorty on 01/03/05 00:01 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I bought my car about 5 months ago and nothing has gone wrong with it. My 97 Trek has Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, CD player (aftermarket), Power Sunroof, and Anti-Lock Brakes. The car is really fun to drive and I really like the manual transmision and clutch. The only thing I don't like is that there is a short little high pitched squeak when I first begin to open the sunroof and it lasts about one second.

Even the service manager agrees
By tcb on 12/15/04 17:39 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned. The electrical system has had to be rewired, the starter replaced, the computer replaced, and the windows have been repaired numerous times. Even the service agrees that they are all common Jetta problems, he's just never seen them in one place.

Typical Jetta
By VerbalK on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought mine as a cert. preowned over two years ago. I just recently replaced the muffler and a wheel bearing.. my first repair since i got it (the dealer replaced a few sensors when I bought it to make it CPO). overall extremely reliable, great city car and feel solid on the highway. This is my second Jetta, and prolly won't be my last. So long as I stay in shape and don't require a typical big butt comfy interior, I should be happy with the sparse VW. Also, my first experiance with a CPO has been great. I thought it would be a rip off, but I think they really did make some key repairs AFTER I bought the car to make it more reliable. Kudos to the Cooley VW staff in East Greenbush NY

Great car ... but I've out grown it
By Eloquence on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This car was amazing while I owned it. I purchased it with about 60000 mi on it. In almost 4 years the car has given me little or no trouble whatsoever. I have had to dish out only about $1000 over and above regular maintenance costs. I was in an accident in 2001 and I almost totaled the Jetta. It needed over $5000 in repairs but when I got it back it was just as good as ever. A robust, stout, little beast... that's why I choose VWs. Overall, it's an amazing car...which is why I am buying a 2001 Jetta now! Great trunk space, excellent handling, and VW reliability have made this car a winner in my eyes. Keep up the build quality VW.