Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

its a rockstar
By Nat

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My father got this car in 1999 from a VW dealership. Sold it to me in 2007. Still on original clutch, nothing falling off it, gets up to 40 mpg, brakes going on five years. We are gentle on our cars but still, this thing rocks. Engine sounds beautiful-like new still! FITS THREE CARSEATS! radio the only sad part about it, but we make due.

gas mileage, reliability, zippiness

make replacing sound system easier!

1997 VW Jetta GL
By KMP

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We currently have 180K miles and no major problems other than the necessary and routine maintenance plus its FUN to drive! I understand some of the cars were put together in Mexico and others in Canada; ours was from Canada. We would definitely consider purchasing another VW when the time comes to replace this one (which won't be too long from now).

HUGE trunk!! Excellent handling. Minimal maintenance.

Not the bang for your buck.
By dejaentendu247

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and literally a couple months later everything started going bad. I've replaced the exhaust system, shocks, cam shaft sensiry, spark plugs, fuel injectors, the whole coolant system, and the list goes on. The style of this car is awesome, and the interior is really cool too, but it's been non stop trouble for me. If you want to own any Jetta around this year, you might as well buy a Mercedes Benz b/c you'll spend the same amount. Honda and Toyota will never leave you hangin. (The spark plug wires alone were $100.00, which should be $20 bucks)

Really good stereo system. Great sunroof. Really big trunk and the back seat folds down. The style of the interior is really great.. Short shifter, green dash lights, all black inside. The rims are alloy rims are really nice.

Like I said, the interior and exterior style are really slick for that year. But that doesn't do you much good when your on the side of the road. And the strips fall off the doors all the time.

If you have a VERY big walet
By Sambolton

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used last year with 90,000 miles on it. Of course it had its share of use before my ownership, but this is just stupid. The cup holders are a joke. they could barley hold a can of soda when i was merging on the highway. and the seats (not power) are very difficult to use. Engine has NO power. 0-60? yeah it could be a while. and panels falling off the outside of my door. that was horrible. Very unreliable but good in snow and if you plan on hitting any cars going about 40 mph you can plan to walk away alive. VERY sturdy front end. saved my life absolutely. Even with that said, I have put way too much money into this car, so plan on having finances ready for the unexpected!

Big trunk.

Cup holders. CD changer. Engine! Auto trans can decide what gear to be in... it's begging for a stick shift!

The Good, Bad and Ugly
By cgwcolorado

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165,000 miles and is slowly hitting the hay. When the car works it's an amazing car. Unfortunately, when one thing goes wrong you better expect to be making regular appointments with your mechanic for a little while. I have serious electrical problems, door lock problems, the ABS is out, the cruise control went out, only one windshield spray nozzle works, belts, lights, side molding, clutch, pumps, catalytic converter, hoses and transmissions galore. I love my Jetta to death but she hates the cold and the heat and is the end result of all my money!

I love the handling, the power and how cheap my tires are. Even though it's not pretty on the outside, people are still impressed with how well it drives and are amazed that I have so many miles on it.

VW needs to take a serious look at the design and layout (luckily I am small and can reach the fuse box easily). They need to start using higher quality plastics or find a different material. The price for parts and labor is very expensive for a car made in Mexico.