Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love it
By Ohio

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Jetta GLX for thirteen years. It is fun to drive, goes like a soldier through snow, and has minimal rust for its age. I had a head gasket problem which necessitated an engine replacement (or so my mechanic said), but that is the ONLY repair I have had other than scheduled maintenance. Interior is top quality, still looking fine today, the trunk space is great, and I have had no problems with exterior body trim. I am still running the original muffler, though the fore intake pipe on the first unit is broken and the car is a bit noisy. Thank goodness for cage straps which make it able to delay the replacement a bit longer. Overall, I am very satisfied.

Sunroof, leather seats, the BOSE radio.

None. I am not a lazy person who has to have motorized seats. It's a car for DRIVING, for crying out loud.

get ready..
By timme791

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I am 18 and work on cars as a hobby so I do know what I'm talking about. To start off I have done many mods to this car. Watch out for European parts vs American... Very different supports. And parts can come pricy. My car... At about 105k miles had an intake valve come loose. It cost me 2400 bucks... More than I bought the car for. After I fixed that, my maf went bad (cost 500) and a week later... Engine light back on. Stick with jdm than this. The handling is fun, but needs a lot more power and the gas isnt as great as most everyone claims it to be. Stock averages like 20 mpg and I get 22 with my intake. Just... Prepare for problems basically. I love this car but it can frustrate me!

huge trunk, roomy, not much power but still finds some to drive up to big bear for snowboarding. some mod parts are cheaper than others. heater and a/c are awesome. dont see many like you see civics and corollas. safe and comfortable car.

cup holders (3 for 5 seats and only 1 can fit a drink that's a small from mcdonalds. the other two are a joke) cheaper parts. easier to mod (everything in the car is so complicated -_-X. more power and less engine repairs would be nice!!!!!! center console storage is a joke. euro parts r better

Love this Car
By Lovemyjetta

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I have had a lot of luck with this car. Besides routine maintenance: tires, oil changes, belts, brakes, exhaust and tune ups, I have put nothing into the car. My only problem with German cars in general is their emissions standards are so high that to replace the system when it broke was $1500. Otherwise, I have put in the routine maintenance and he runs like a charm. Still reliable at 186,000 miles.

Excellent to drive around turns and in bad weather. The car is like a tank.

The trim is terrible and always breaking and the strict emissions system is unnecessary in this country.

cursed car
By shellky

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my jetta for around six months now and had nothing but problems I know the complete history of the car being close friends with every owner its always had an elet problem brake light randomly not working but other than that no big problems sence ive had it the trunk latch broke key and elet moldings falling off coolant resvior cracked catt cloged fuel injector exhaust the brake lights are blowing instead of just randomly not working the coil cracked the back seat is falling apart clutch is going (180k impressive but still on its way out)

handles great, good speed and accel, reliable clutch,reliable sunroof, good breaks

electric, part quality, part price, body quality

VW fan, NOT Jetta fan
By theodore

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I see many reviews ment std maint as a repair. I've owned my VW for 11 yrs and spent $2,500 for rep. Repl brake pads (30K mi), spark plugs, dist cap, & rotor (15K mi), fuel filter (15K mi), clean K&N air filter (15K mi), repl belts, gask, & hoses, tim belt 70K-80K mi, etc. My eng & man trans have been great (orig clutch, but slips on occ). The elect & cool syst are horr! I did repl the throttle body asmb 2X, ign switch, starter, driver's side lock to disable the alarm (still arms random), driver's window reg, MAS air-flow sens, etc. I have NO A/C, heat, or defog (switch melted) & NO cruise & horn. Key doesn't work in trunk lock & pass door. Temp, fuel, spd, & odom guages work on occasion.

Great handling, reliable manual trans, good gas mileage, lots of space to work on parts under hood, sunroof (been reliable), dashboard in great condition, huge trunk with excellent, fold-down, split rear seats, good body design (no rust and little faded paint), extremely rugged (even off- roading).

I think that VW intentionally produces parts which will malfunction after a certain amount of miles. I have maintained this vehicle myself, with some outside help from a reliable mechanic. To have a plethora of elect & cooling components go bad is a disgrace! This occurs in their newer cars, too.