1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
its a rockstar
By Nat on 04/18/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

My father got this car in 1999 from a VW dealership. Sold it to me in 2007. Still on original clutch, nothing falling off it, gets up to 40 mpg, brakes going on five years. We are gentle on our cars but still, this thing rocks. Engine sounds beautiful-like new still! FITS THREE CARSEATS! radio the only sad part about it, but we make due.

1997 VW Jetta GL
By KMP on 03/31/09 13:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

We currently have 180K miles and no major problems other than the necessary and routine maintenance plus its FUN to drive! I understand some of the cars were put together in Mexico and others in Canada; ours was from Canada. We would definitely consider purchasing another VW when the time comes to replace this one (which won't be too long from now).

Not the bang for your buck.
By dejaentendu247 on 03/18/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and literally a couple months later everything started going bad. I've replaced the exhaust system, shocks, cam shaft sensiry, spark plugs, fuel injectors, the whole coolant system, and the list goes on. The style of this car is awesome, and the interior is really cool too, but it's been non stop trouble for me. If you want to own any Jetta around this year, you might as well buy a Mercedes Benz b/c you'll spend the same amount. Honda and Toyota will never leave you hangin. (The spark plug wires alone were $100.00, which should be $20 bucks)

If you have a VERY big walet
By Sambolton on 11/02/08 07:12 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used last year with 90,000 miles on it. Of course it had its share of use before my ownership, but this is just stupid. The cup holders are a joke. they could barley hold a can of soda when i was merging on the highway. and the seats (not power) are very difficult to use. Engine has NO power. 0-60? yeah it could be a while. and panels falling off the outside of my door. that was horrible. Very unreliable but good in snow and if you plan on hitting any cars going about 40 mph you can plan to walk away alive. VERY sturdy front end. saved my life absolutely. Even with that said, I have put way too much money into this car, so plan on having finances ready for the unexpected!

The Good, Bad and Ugly
By cgwcolorado on 10/28/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165,000 miles and is slowly hitting the hay. When the car works it's an amazing car. Unfortunately, when one thing goes wrong you better expect to be making regular appointments with your mechanic for a little while. I have serious electrical problems, door lock problems, the ABS is out, the cruise control went out, only one windshield spray nozzle works, belts, lights, side molding, clutch, pumps, catalytic converter, hoses and transmissions galore. I love my Jetta to death but she hates the cold and the heat and is the end result of all my money!

Transmission Problems With My 1997 VW
By vdubbub8403 on 07/18/08 21:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car 2-3 years ago and I have had nothing but trouble with the transmission slipping it started out something I can deal with but has just gotten worse threw time I think I have spend more money on this car than I paid at the dealership. I got an estimate on it $3000 to replace the transmission. Forget it I will go buy A Honda are A small truck I have heard that there is issues with this year and other years I wish I would of knew that before wasting my money I have always liked VW but I have lost all respect for them know

If only I'd known
By Siera on 07/12/08 06:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a not so reliable dealer unfortunately. The car worked well for about a month. The transmission has been on its way out since I bought it. I've had to replace the fuel pump and other assorted things because it wouldn't start. Now it's not starting again, two months after the last fiasco. This time its believed to be the ignition switch. The only way it stays on is to hold the key all the way over. I have been told by a VW specialist to get rid of it while I still can. It's been nothing but problems and now I have to look for a new car before a start college in a month. My boyfriend's sister had one too and they told her it wasn't safe to drive anymore and to get rid of it.

VW heaven
By Vw all the way on 06/13/08 08:50 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

This car will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first. I love the interior but the cup holders are not good. I have had issues with window motors and transmission but I have recked it two times and its still getting me around with out issues at 130k. Overall this is a nice car and its design is very sporty.

love this car
By lyn on 03/22/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

awesome performance, has never let me down, minimal maintenance, tight turning, holds at least 5 teen sized soccer players!

VW built to save lives.
By TAMMY BANE on 09/10/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Jazz 4dr Sedan

My 17 year old daughters (twins) have been driving this car for 1 1/2 years. Friday night my daughter lost control of the vehicle, flipped twice, hit a tree, hit a rock wall and landed on the roof of the car. The exterior of the car is completely totaled. The interior of the car is completely intact. The frame work around the top and sides of the car held it from crumbling around her. My daughter walked away from the accident and has only 9 stitches in her knees (and I believe that is from crawling out of the car.) VW is built tough and will be the car of choice for my children to drive.