Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

A great, reliable car.
By Dragos

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

We bought our GLS new in 1997. It has a manual transmission and a 4cyl 2L engine. My wife and I have put 158k miles on it and it still runs great. We maintained our VW well and had ONLY ONE technical problem: all 4 power windows started to fail in 01. We were always impressed by the steering of the car in wet/snowy/icy conditions. We have driven it numerous times across the mountain passes in the winter and it has behaved admirably! The manual transmission has proven to be extremely reliable and it has always helped us in controlling the vehicle and having more fun driving it. This Jetta model has by far the largest trunk in its class.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Steering. Stability/traction on snowy/icy roads. Manual transmission. Fantastic fuel economy (34mpg on the freeway, 27+mpg in town). Trunk size (when we bought our Jetta in 1997, only Q45 was offering a more spacious trunk!).

Suggested Improvements

Somewhat noisy. Poor quality power windows. Rear leg room.

Loved it
By Bigg E

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Definately one of the best cars that I've owned. Very fast, stable and loaded with features. Only had a few repair problems. I was told by the dealer that the brake rotors can not be turned, they had to be replaced. Expensive fix. Not an expensive car to own overall. Definately recommend.

Favorite Features

Stereo and engine.

Great Car all the way around!
By VwChrisVr6

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

this is an exceptionaly well built car, built by Volkswagen. If there is such a car that gives you the power and the feeling of being a sport car, but yet has the gift of luxury this is the car you are looking for.

Favorite Features

the V6 has to one of my favs, but the leather and all the electronic features are one of the tops, right under driving performance.

Suggested Improvements

the body style, but that was improved in the newer models

I Regret Buying This Jetta
By christinamarie

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July 2003 with 52000mi. I drive all over the state, at least 500 mi a week. I was told by the dealer that the kick in the engine between 2md and 3rd gear is normal. Well, at 60,000 mi the kick has become fierce and my check engine light is on. The glove compartment lock is busted, too. Also had problems with the bearings on the wheels, and serious issues with the poor presentation of my car at the dealership. And don't even think about having more than 2 people in the backseat!

Favorite Features

Interior cabin, cruise control, handling. Under the hood is for dummies, so checking fluids is not a guessing game.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are TERRIBLE, cheap overall quality on parts. Highway driving is OK except for what sounds like a gust of wind through my backseat.

good car, short money
By johnny C

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

sporty, fun to drive. quality German engineering for a fraction of the cost of other german motors

Favorite Features

i like how it sticks to the road in all driving conditions

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, could have a little more power..