Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

fundriver
By DamienL

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This is my second Jetta. The first one was a 1989 GL. I just retired it at 210,000 miles. I wasn't the original owner either, but it has the original clutch, engine, and transmission.

OOPS
By Tur77tle

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Loved the jetta at first. Bought at a steal with 43,000 mi. At about 80,000 had TONS of problems. Brakes always squeak (replaced twice), electrical problems with AC, Engine lights on, brake system lights always on,and O2 sensors replced. Actually failed emissions this year (Car had to reach 600 degrees before sensors turned on). Transmission problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. And finally, the car wouldn't shift into 5th gear reliabily at all. Oh yeah, the driver side lock just fell right out!!This is odd because have very good service records. Thank god I had a great mechanic!

Looks nice, good stereo system, comfortable to ride in.

Fix transmission problems and everyone I know with that Jetts has had problems with the O2 sensors.

JETTA GT
By titanone

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Over 6 years of reliable driving, great fuel economy and handling. Cheap to own and maintain.

Sunroof 5 speed manual trans

Power windows Better stereo Longer lasting headlights

Never Again
By Fitzy

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

For starters they have the worst customer service on the planet. Secondly, I have had more problems with it than I could even fit into this review. Engine light constantly comes on and VW charges $97 just to tell you why, side molding has fallen off both side doors multiple times until I finally used epoxy, my door lock on both front doors broke and the lock would spin in place instead of unlock my doors, my passenger side window fell off the track and into the door and broke into pieces, my driver side window no longer works, cruise control broke, A/C no longer works, brakes went faster than I would have imagined, and even the mufflers are garbage!

Sunroof and big trunk

Scrap it and start over. This thing is so unreliable I don't think there is much to build on besides the VW name.

A great, reliable car.
By Dragos

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

We bought our GLS new in 1997. It has a manual transmission and a 4cyl 2L engine. My wife and I have put 158k miles on it and it still runs great. We maintained our VW well and had ONLY ONE technical problem: all 4 power windows started to fail in 01. We were always impressed by the steering of the car in wet/snowy/icy conditions. We have driven it numerous times across the mountain passes in the winter and it has behaved admirably! The manual transmission has proven to be extremely reliable and it has always helped us in controlling the vehicle and having more fun driving it. This Jetta model has by far the largest trunk in its class.

Reliability. Steering. Stability/traction on snowy/icy roads. Manual transmission. Fantastic fuel economy (34mpg on the freeway, 27+mpg in town). Trunk size (when we bought our Jetta in 1997, only Q45 was offering a more spacious trunk!).

Somewhat noisy. Poor quality power windows. Rear leg room.