1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
97 Jetta GLS
By tony k on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for about 5 month now and I am pleased with it. I have put on it 8K miles and mechanical reliability has been good. The molding from one of the doors came off and the muffler seems to touch the underbody of the car whenever I hit deep wholes on the road, but other than that, I am very pleased with the car. Fuel economy has been good, avg. about 27 mpg.

Fun to drive GLX vr6
By ssvk on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

From the time i have owned this car, i have enjoyed driving it. It begs you to drive, push harder on the corners, it handles great. The engine is very peppy and responsive. All in all, its a very fun car, no major problems.

Good Car
By Flower Mound on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My VW is a 1997 VW GLS with some of the bells and whistles. The only compliant I HAVE is problems with it are the electrical system> It has 85000 miles and has been a generally fine car to drive and own.

Reliable, Accurate handling, Economical!
By mobiliare on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This car is a great performer! I will never sell this car especially it's my 1st car. I have put a ton of things (even a whole drumset in the trunk) and I have taken care of it really special: K&N filters, new imported brakes (not dealer brake) and it's still running perfectly fine at 115000 miles. It's fast - I can beat anyone on highway and it's slick looking. As long as you maintain it just right, it's a very special car. GT is really rare - get one if you can!!

This car will be my last VW
By Buffmeat on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We have had numerous problem with this vehicle and have less than 60,000 miles. My favorite was replacing the air bag clock spring twice. We also had a fun problem with the shocks rubbing with 2 people in the back seat and the tail pipe fell off at 10,000 miles. The only thing I can say good about the car is we live in the midwest and the car starts every morning no matter how hot or cold.

The Best car that I have ever owned
By Lee Metcalf on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car will grab you and make you drive all the time. It feels so good, I can't stop driving it. The engine is fast and smooth. The interior is great and functional. The Trunck is bib, I have put things in it that I thought would never fit. I love this car.

Fun, Fast, Affordable
By Big Pimp on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Never had one mechanical problem. Would definitely purchase another VW or other German made auto. Dependable and fun to drive. Recommend this car to anyone.

A fun Car
By donm on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

You will not be disappointed in this car!! Great acceleration, handling and ride!! Get your hands on one if you can.

Good looks, VERY poor vehicle...
By Lino on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Former G.M. engineer - I have owned Oldsmobile, Saturn, VW & BMW 325Ci. VR6 is marvelous. Fit & finish: initially appears exceptional for price range. HOWEVER, I will NEVER buy another VW. Overall reliability & long-term quality is ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS; interior parts are cheap & break FREQUENTLY. Check engine light came on at ~50,000 miles & STAYED ON until I sold it at 70,000 miles. VW could not correct problems and told me, "that's just the way these engines are". I have PERSONAL knowledge of other VWs (GLS & GLXs from 1996 THRU 2001 & 2002 VW Beetle) that have had THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS. CHECK JDPowers surveys as well as NHTSA recall/TSB boards before buying ANYTHING from VW.

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 2.0L
By Sampman on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

The Jetta GT is an excellent car! I have never experienced any of the problems with the alarm or sunroof, and I use them a lot, especially since warm weather has come. As for performance, I don't see why people complain, if you run it out right, it will take anything. This is the perfect car for someone who is looking to be different, but also wants to customize it. I have already put on exhaust, K & N air filters, nice 18' Rims and tires, Eibach pro-kit 1.5". Personally I have had no problems other than comfort on long road trips, but this car isn't for grandma, is it?