Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Don't buy this pain in the neck
By rockclimber

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new from the dealer w/a keyless remote. It was worthless and I had it replaced several times (thank goodness for lifetime warranties). Finally I had the whole think yanked. Electrically this car is a heap. It can self-alarm after starting w/ the key & 30 secs later it goes off. I have to tow it in for repair. Why the side mirrors are heated to 100F is beyond me. Supposedly, if the driver's door is left ajar for several mins, the car self-alarms. VW engrs figured this means the driver is being attacked, so the car disables itself. I won't buy VW again.

Favorite Features

Motor pep, winding thru the gears, zooming thru traffic

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders should hold more than a 12 oz can. A little more headroom would help, too.

fundriver
By DamienL

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is my second Jetta. The first one was a 1989 GL. I just retired it at 210,000 miles. I wasn't the original owner either, but it has the original clutch, engine, and transmission.

OOPS
By Tur77tle

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Loved the jetta at first. Bought at a steal with 43,000 mi. At about 80,000 had TONS of problems. Brakes always squeak (replaced twice), electrical problems with AC, Engine lights on, brake system lights always on,and O2 sensors replced. Actually failed emissions this year (Car had to reach 600 degrees before sensors turned on). Transmission problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. And finally, the car wouldn't shift into 5th gear reliabily at all. Oh yeah, the driver side lock just fell right out!!This is odd because have very good service records. Thank god I had a great mechanic!

Favorite Features

Looks nice, good stereo system, comfortable to ride in.

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission problems and everyone I know with that Jetts has had problems with the O2 sensors.

JETTA GT
By titanone

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

Over 6 years of reliable driving, great fuel economy and handling. Cheap to own and maintain.

Favorite Features

Sunroof 5 speed manual trans

Suggested Improvements

Power windows Better stereo Longer lasting headlights

Never Again
By Fitzy

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

For starters they have the worst customer service on the planet. Secondly, I have had more problems with it than I could even fit into this review. Engine light constantly comes on and VW charges $97 just to tell you why, side molding has fallen off both side doors multiple times until I finally used epoxy, my door lock on both front doors broke and the lock would spin in place instead of unlock my doors, my passenger side window fell off the track and into the door and broke into pieces, my driver side window no longer works, cruise control broke, A/C no longer works, brakes went faster than I would have imagined, and even the mufflers are garbage!

Favorite Features

Sunroof and big trunk

Suggested Improvements

Scrap it and start over. This thing is so unreliable I don't think there is much to build on besides the VW name.