1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Excellent Engine POOR Everything else
By wss6 on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Drove this car with clean highway miles and easy on the clutch; Was fun to drive for first 6 months. Since purchase I have replaced 3 ignition modules, 2 wheel bearings, body molding, door locks, and a myriad of other mechanical and body components. When the dashboard lights failed and the check engine light came on for the 2nd time I got rid of the car. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE - DON'T BUY THIS CAR. I will never buy another Volkswagon.

VRsechs
By vrsechs on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since January, and being a VW enthuiast, I am very pleased with the GLX. The engine has plenty of torque and horsepower, and with the addition of my chip, suspension, rims and tires, and exhaust, the performance has only been enhanced. I did have my turn signal cluster go out, which cost $150, and my coilpack went bad, buth this can easily be avoided with $5. Great car

97 Jetta GLS
By tony k on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for about 5 month now and I am pleased with it. I have put on it 8K miles and mechanical reliability has been good. The molding from one of the doors came off and the muffler seems to touch the underbody of the car whenever I hit deep wholes on the road, but other than that, I am very pleased with the car. Fuel economy has been good, avg. about 27 mpg.

Fun to drive GLX vr6
By ssvk on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

From the time i have owned this car, i have enjoyed driving it. It begs you to drive, push harder on the corners, it handles great. The engine is very peppy and responsive. All in all, its a very fun car, no major problems.

Good Car
By Flower Mound on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

My VW is a 1997 VW GLS with some of the bells and whistles. The only compliant I HAVE is problems with it are the electrical system> It has 85000 miles and has been a generally fine car to drive and own.

Reliable, Accurate handling, Economical!
By mobiliare on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

This car is a great performer! I will never sell this car especially it's my 1st car. I have put a ton of things (even a whole drumset in the trunk) and I have taken care of it really special: K&N filters, new imported brakes (not dealer brake) and it's still running perfectly fine at 115000 miles. It's fast - I can beat anyone on highway and it's slick looking. As long as you maintain it just right, it's a very special car. GT is really rare - get one if you can!!

This car will be my last VW
By Buffmeat on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

We have had numerous problem with this vehicle and have less than 60,000 miles. My favorite was replacing the air bag clock spring twice. We also had a fun problem with the shocks rubbing with 2 people in the back seat and the tail pipe fell off at 10,000 miles. The only thing I can say good about the car is we live in the midwest and the car starts every morning no matter how hot or cold.

The Best car that I have ever owned
By Lee Metcalf on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car will grab you and make you drive all the time. It feels so good, I can't stop driving it. The engine is fast and smooth. The interior is great and functional. The Trunck is bib, I have put things in it that I thought would never fit. I love this car.

Fun, Fast, Affordable
By Big Pimp on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Never had one mechanical problem. Would definitely purchase another VW or other German made auto. Dependable and fun to drive. Recommend this car to anyone.

A fun Car
By donm on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

You will not be disappointed in this car!! Great acceleration, handling and ride!! Get your hands on one if you can.