Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Good car, but it will cost you in the long run...
By flint879

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car was great when my wife and I first bought it. Great gas mileage, very reliable when travelling long distances and it wasn't bad to drive. I wouldn't recommend owning this car though. The gas mileage is great, but it's a Volkswagen, parts for this car are not easy to find and when you find them, they are hella expensive. Since I've owned this car (4 years), I've had to replace the transmission, 3 starters, exhaust system, fuel pump, and other such things. It doesn't do well in terms of going up hills because the engine is so small it can barely make it up most hills. Other than the gas mileage, I don't care much for this car.

Favorite Features

It's got nice interior, it can take a beating, very good on long road trips, and great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

This car, like with all the 90s Jettas, are a 50/50. There are people who get the ones that last them forever, and there are the people who get one that has a million problems with it. I unfortunately got one that has a million problems with it. I had to replace the transmission once, the exhaust system, fuel pump, 3 starters and little other things here and there. If you decide to purchase one of the 90s Volkswagen Jettas, be very weary. I've had this car for 4 years and I've put 3 times more into the car than I paid for it. My sister-in-law has the same car and she has zero problems with it and she's had it for 3 years. Like I said, it's a 50/50 with this car, be cautious.

get ready..
By timme791

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I am 18 and work on cars as a hobby so I do know what I'm talking about. To start off I have done many mods to this car. Watch out for European parts vs American... Very different supports. And parts can come pricy. My car... At about 105k miles had an intake valve come loose. It cost me 2400 bucks... More than I bought the car for. After I fixed that, my maf went bad (cost 500) and a week later... Engine light back on. Stick with jdm than this. The handling is fun, but needs a lot more power and the gas isnt as great as most everyone claims it to be. Stock averages like 20 mpg and I get 22 with my intake. Just... Prepare for problems basically. I love this car but it can frustrate me!

Favorite Features

huge trunk, roomy, not much power but still finds some to drive up to big bear for snowboarding. some mod parts are cheaper than others. heater and a/c are awesome. dont see many like you see civics and corollas. safe and comfortable car.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders (3 for 5 seats and only 1 can fit a drink that's a small from mcdonalds. the other two are a joke) cheaper parts. easier to mod (everything in the car is so complicated -_-X. more power and less engine repairs would be nice!!!!!! center console storage is a joke. euro parts r better

Love this Car
By Lovemyjetta

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had a lot of luck with this car. Besides routine maintenance: tires, oil changes, belts, brakes, exhaust and tune ups, I have put nothing into the car. My only problem with German cars in general is their emissions standards are so high that to replace the system when it broke was $1500. Otherwise, I have put in the routine maintenance and he runs like a charm. Still reliable at 186,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Excellent to drive around turns and in bad weather. The car is like a tank.

Suggested Improvements

The trim is terrible and always breaking and the strict emissions system is unnecessary in this country.

cursed car
By shellky

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my jetta for around six months now and had nothing but problems I know the complete history of the car being close friends with every owner its always had an elet problem brake light randomly not working but other than that no big problems sence ive had it the trunk latch broke key and elet moldings falling off coolant resvior cracked catt cloged fuel injector exhaust the brake lights are blowing instead of just randomly not working the coil cracked the back seat is falling apart clutch is going (180k impressive but still on its way out)

Favorite Features

handles great, good speed and accel, reliable clutch,reliable sunroof, good breaks

Suggested Improvements

electric, part quality, part price, body quality

its a rockstar
By Nat

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My father got this car in 1999 from a VW dealership. Sold it to me in 2007. Still on original clutch, nothing falling off it, gets up to 40 mpg, brakes going on five years. We are gentle on our cars but still, this thing rocks. Engine sounds beautiful-like new still! FITS THREE CARSEATS! radio the only sad part about it, but we make due.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, reliability, zippiness

Suggested Improvements

make replacing sound system easier!