1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good car, but it will cost you in the long run...
By flint879 on 10/07/11 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car was great when my wife and I first bought it. Great gas mileage, very reliable when travelling long distances and it wasn't bad to drive. I wouldn't recommend owning this car though. The gas mileage is great, but it's a Volkswagen, parts for this car are not easy to find and when you find them, they are hella expensive. Since I've owned this car (4 years), I've had to replace the transmission, 3 starters, exhaust system, fuel pump, and other such things. It doesn't do well in terms of going up hills because the engine is so small it can barely make it up most hills. Other than the gas mileage, I don't care much for this car.

get ready..
By timme791 on 02/01/10 02:36 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I am 18 and work on cars as a hobby so I do know what I'm talking about. To start off I have done many mods to this car. Watch out for European parts vs American... Very different supports. And parts can come pricy. My car... At about 105k miles had an intake valve come loose. It cost me 2400 bucks... More than I bought the car for. After I fixed that, my maf went bad (cost 500) and a week later... Engine light back on. Stick with jdm than this. The handling is fun, but needs a lot more power and the gas isnt as great as most everyone claims it to be. Stock averages like 20 mpg and I get 22 with my intake. Just... Prepare for problems basically. I love this car but it can frustrate me!

Love this Car
By Lovemyjetta on 01/28/10 14:37 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had a lot of luck with this car. Besides routine maintenance: tires, oil changes, belts, brakes, exhaust and tune ups, I have put nothing into the car. My only problem with German cars in general is their emissions standards are so high that to replace the system when it broke was $1500. Otherwise, I have put in the routine maintenance and he runs like a charm. Still reliable at 186,000 miles.

cursed car
By shellky on 08/23/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my jetta for around six months now and had nothing but problems I know the complete history of the car being close friends with every owner its always had an elet problem brake light randomly not working but other than that no big problems sence ive had it the trunk latch broke key and elet moldings falling off coolant resvior cracked catt cloged fuel injector exhaust the brake lights are blowing instead of just randomly not working the coil cracked the back seat is falling apart clutch is going (180k impressive but still on its way out)

its a rockstar
By Nat on 04/18/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My father got this car in 1999 from a VW dealership. Sold it to me in 2007. Still on original clutch, nothing falling off it, gets up to 40 mpg, brakes going on five years. We are gentle on our cars but still, this thing rocks. Engine sounds beautiful-like new still! FITS THREE CARSEATS! radio the only sad part about it, but we make due.

1997 VW Jetta GL
By KMP on 03/31/09 13:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We currently have 180K miles and no major problems other than the necessary and routine maintenance plus its FUN to drive! I understand some of the cars were put together in Mexico and others in Canada; ours was from Canada. We would definitely consider purchasing another VW when the time comes to replace this one (which won't be too long from now).

love this car
By lyn on 03/22/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

awesome performance, has never let me down, minimal maintenance, tight turning, holds at least 5 teen sized soccer players!

Never Buy a VW
By ihatevw on 12/09/06 10:32 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I really hate this car with a passion. Literally every day something goes wrong. Yesterday my starter went. I had it replaced. Today the idle is going crazy and its smelling like gas really bad. The coolant system is terrible. Pretty much everything on this car is designed poorly and made of plastic. The exhaust rattles of the underside of the car. The electrical system is total junk. I have had problems with this car since day one. If you are reading this and are considering getting a VW, please go buy a Honda, seriously.

Somewhat disappointed
By MJM on 03/23/05 09:22 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car for my daughters. They hated it it. 1st VW I've owned in 25 yrs. I expected more from the company. Just drove it 700 miles home and was surprised at how well it rode and drove at it's age and mileage. *However* nothing else impressed me. The trunk is huge but that does not make up for the poor electrical design. Had to replace a taillight 4 times in 6 months. I know others who had the same problem I couldn't find a cupholder? Is that what that thing is called? The fuse box is in the most ridiculous place possible. You just can't get to it. Surprised that there is no gas cap cover interior lock. To me, the car is no big deal

Typical Jetta
By VerbalK on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought mine as a cert. preowned over two years ago. I just recently replaced the muffler and a wheel bearing.. my first repair since i got it (the dealer replaced a few sensors when I bought it to make it CPO). overall extremely reliable, great city car and feel solid on the highway. This is my second Jetta, and prolly won't be my last. So long as I stay in shape and don't require a typical big butt comfy interior, I should be happy with the sparse VW. Also, my first experiance with a CPO has been great. I thought it would be a rip off, but I think they really did make some key repairs AFTER I bought the car to make it more reliable. Kudos to the Cooley VW staff in East Greenbush NY