Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love it
By Ohio

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Jetta GLX for thirteen years. It is fun to drive, goes like a soldier through snow, and has minimal rust for its age. I had a head gasket problem which necessitated an engine replacement (or so my mechanic said), but that is the ONLY repair I have had other than scheduled maintenance. Interior is top quality, still looking fine today, the trunk space is great, and I have had no problems with exterior body trim. I am still running the original muffler, though the fore intake pipe on the first unit is broken and the car is a bit noisy. Thank goodness for cage straps which make it able to delay the replacement a bit longer. Overall, I am very satisfied.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, leather seats, the BOSE radio.

Suggested Improvements

None. I am not a lazy person who has to have motorized seats. It's a car for DRIVING, for crying out loud.

The Good, Bad and Ugly
By cgwcolorado

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My car now has 165,000 miles and is slowly hitting the hay. When the car works it's an amazing car. Unfortunately, when one thing goes wrong you better expect to be making regular appointments with your mechanic for a little while. I have serious electrical problems, door lock problems, the ABS is out, the cruise control went out, only one windshield spray nozzle works, belts, lights, side molding, clutch, pumps, catalytic converter, hoses and transmissions galore. I love my Jetta to death but she hates the cold and the heat and is the end result of all my money!

Favorite Features

I love the handling, the power and how cheap my tires are. Even though it's not pretty on the outside, people are still impressed with how well it drives and are amazed that I have so many miles on it.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to take a serious look at the design and layout (luckily I am small and can reach the fuse box easily). They need to start using higher quality plastics or find a different material. The price for parts and labor is very expensive for a car made in Mexico.

My VR6 is AMAZING...
By gh225345

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I really love this car. I've had it for a little over a year now and it runs excellently. I've had to replace a few minor things such as hoses and belts, clutch, and the trim started coming off but it was an easy fix with an adhesive tape that you can get from any auto parts store...it's called molding tape. I've put many high performance parts on my VW and it has 250 whp with no problems with the motor at all. I would highly recommend this vehicle. Just make sure you inspect it before you buy. My 1997.5 Jetta Vr6 has 111,982 miles on it and like I said before it runs great.

Favorite Features

The way this car can handle the road is amazing...

Suggested Improvements

Uprage your suspension. I have Bilsten fully adjustable suspension. The car is lowered a little bit but it looks great. Put some alloys on it. Cold air intake system, full exhaust, and a chip is all you really need for this car to fly.

Superb
By ultrasam

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Volkswagen Jetta is an amazing car. It has been superbly reliable and really fun to drive. The VR6 motor is amazing. I've spent maybe $400 in unexpected maintenance since I bought car new. VWs last forever.

Favorite Features

The VR6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

It could use a lower, stiffer suspension.

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Haz

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car was the never-ending money pit! Engine had to be replaced along with two clutches. Window motors were constantly breaking. Electric side mirrors stopped working. Glove compartment hinges broke. Windshield washer system stopped working. Molding was falling off. Seat recliners never worked. Emergency break broke several times which resulted in the car rolling into the street and finally - a LAKE! The repairs were incredibly expensive compared with US or Japanese made cars.

Favorite Features

Great looking car. When the engine worked, it was a sweet ride.

Suggested Improvements

If you own one - get rid of it!