Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Good car, but it will cost you in the long run...
By flint879

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car was great when my wife and I first bought it. Great gas mileage, very reliable when travelling long distances and it wasn't bad to drive. I wouldn't recommend owning this car though. The gas mileage is great, but it's a Volkswagen, parts for this car are not easy to find and when you find them, they are hella expensive. Since I've owned this car (4 years), I've had to replace the transmission, 3 starters, exhaust system, fuel pump, and other such things. It doesn't do well in terms of going up hills because the engine is so small it can barely make it up most hills. Other than the gas mileage, I don't care much for this car.

Favorite Features

It's got nice interior, it can take a beating, very good on long road trips, and great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

This car, like with all the 90s Jettas, are a 50/50. There are people who get the ones that last them forever, and there are the people who get one that has a million problems with it. I unfortunately got one that has a million problems with it. I had to replace the transmission once, the exhaust system, fuel pump, 3 starters and little other things here and there. If you decide to purchase one of the 90s Volkswagen Jettas, be very weary. I've had this car for 4 years and I've put 3 times more into the car than I paid for it. My sister-in-law has the same car and she has zero problems with it and she's had it for 3 years. Like I said, it's a 50/50 with this car, be cautious.

Great overall car, maintenance is key to go 200k+ miles
By vwguy84

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I owned 2 VWs on the past, a 02 Jetta Wolfsburg, and 03 Gti , both 1.8t 5spds. I recently got rid of my newer truck to go back to No payments, and found a 1997 Jetta Gt black with black leather w/140k miles this past January. This car has been awesome, ive taken great care of her, since it was a 1 owner and interior is immaculate with no rips and paint looks new. mechanically car seems very sound, especially on the freeway, its very smooth. Ive had a few hiccups with car, such as gas gauge not always working or power door locks not working on driver side, but its expected with a older car. I plan to do a full overhaul and tune up to car in next 6 months, glad i finally own MK3 JETTA.

Favorite Features

interior, leather, theres no " blind spots" , 10 speakers which I upgraded to Infinity Kappas, great exterior styling, sunroof . just a comfortable car that screams "Road Trip"

Suggested Improvements

Headlights are poor, and cost of maintenance and replacing oem parts.

Fun,fast,zippy 4 banger
By wvmechanic88

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek 4dr Sedan

Good little car. plenty of power and torque for a 2.0 gas engine. great gas econmy 30+ mpg. sporty handling.plenty of room for a small car. now for the cons. not that good in bad weather. cheap plastic parts. power windows have lots of problems. expensive repairs if you have a shop do them. traded in with 170K miles due to bad rust on body but she still run great.

Favorite Features

powerful engine, sporty handling, ease of spare tire changes, location of controls.

Suggested Improvements

use better materials on the interior, better power window mechanisms.

Made me a VW fan for life.
By Gunar

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I got this car 6 years ago for my 16th birthday. I was the first of my friends to be able to drive. The car had just hit 100,000 when I got it... Being the only one who could drive I was always loading my Jetta (we named it Ronald) with friends and going all over the place. It's never let me down. It's still running, and I bet it's going to run for quite a long time more. I've put 65,000 miles on it in 6 years, with only routine maintenance, and it's still chugging along as great at it was when I got it... The VR6 has TONS of get up and go, and people are amazed how fast this thing will get going when I put my foot down. This is my first Volkswagen, and it's NOT going to be my last one.

Favorite Features

The feel...There is such quality in this car, nothing ever rattles, the panels are put together as tight as humanly possible. Has tons of get up and go. Love the VR6. Passing on the freeway is a breeze. ENORMOUS trunk. I fit suitcases for 5 people in there! The greatest handling in the world.

Suggested Improvements

The little plastic pockets on the sides of the seats break so easily! I swear this thing gets worse gas mileage than my dad's F350. (No, nothing's leaking.) Maybe I just gas it too much. Love that feeling. :) Side trim falls off in Summer. Have to take it off and sand it and reattach it.

My First Car
By Ashh

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car in 2007. It was a 5 speed stick shift with about 185,000 miles on it. I loved it from the start. Radio sounded awesome, seats were comfortable, plus it was super fun to zip around in. Almost 35 miles to the gallon. Almost 4 years later and less than 800 dollars into it, it had 216,000 miles on it and still kicking! Slight exhaust leak, and new struts needed, but only major problem was a leak in the radiator. The only reason I gave it up was to trade in for an SUV for the twins coming soon. Overall, absolutely loved this car!

Favorite Features

Large trunk space, radio sounded great, comfortable seats, and sporty look