1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great overall car, maintenance is key to go 200k+ miles
By vwguy84 on 05/06/14 14:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I owned 2 VWs on the past, a 02 Jetta Wolfsburg, and 03 Gti , both 1.8t 5spds. I recently got rid of my newer truck to go back to No payments, and found a 1997 Jetta Gt black with black leather w/140k miles this past January. This car has been awesome, ive taken great care of her, since it was a 1 owner and interior is immaculate with no rips and paint looks new. mechanically car seems very sound, especially on the freeway, its very smooth. Ive had a few hiccups with car, such as gas gauge not always working or power door locks not working on driver side, but its expected with a older car. I plan to do a full overhaul and tune up to car in next 6 months, glad i finally own MK3 JETTA.

Made me a VW fan for life.
By Gunar on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I got this car 6 years ago for my 16th birthday. I was the first of my friends to be able to drive. The car had just hit 100,000 when I got it... Being the only one who could drive I was always loading my Jetta (we named it Ronald) with friends and going all over the place. It's never let me down. It's still running, and I bet it's going to run for quite a long time more. I've put 65,000 miles on it in 6 years, with only routine maintenance, and it's still chugging along as great at it was when I got it... The VR6 has TONS of get up and go, and people are amazed how fast this thing will get going when I put my foot down. This is my first Volkswagen, and it's NOT going to be my last one.

Not the bang for your buck.
By dejaentendu247 on 03/18/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and literally a couple months later everything started going bad. I've replaced the exhaust system, shocks, cam shaft sensiry, spark plugs, fuel injectors, the whole coolant system, and the list goes on. The style of this car is awesome, and the interior is really cool too, but it's been non stop trouble for me. If you want to own any Jetta around this year, you might as well buy a Mercedes Benz b/c you'll spend the same amount. Honda and Toyota will never leave you hangin. (The spark plug wires alone were $100.00, which should be $20 bucks)

Unreliable and Expensive
By Jimbo on 12/26/06 13:06 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I like the design and handling of this car however there have been several major issues. My car has had a series of electrical issues and you need to be a contortionist to get to the fuse box. I've had the air conditioner fail. the fan switch short out and MELT, the coil cracked (a common issue) and this is in addition to the exhaust rattling (another common problem). You expect to have to do replacement of wearable mechanicals however this is an expensive car to repair. Even basic replacement items such as struts are far more expensive than any car I've ever had. You have to go to the dealer to replace/ top off trans fluid in automatics. Idiotic.

Fun to Drive
By ape on 09/14/06 16:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after test driving other similar sedans because I liked the driveability and it wanted a manual. I still like the driveability but will not buy another VW for a long time. I've replaced the distributor cap and coils more than once, replaced the battery a couple times, replaced the ignition switch, and had it stop and need towing at least twice for issues such as the distributor cap. For a long time I've explained the problems by looking at the car's age and high mileage but after reading other reviews see other owners have had similar experiences. The trim has fallen off both sides of my car and currently all of the gauges randomly drop to zero while I'm driving!

Awesome car
By josh deeds on 04/25/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I love my jetta. I just bought a new Saturn VUE and love to continue to drive my Jetta. I have put over 120,000 miles on it. I've taken it cross country 5 times round trip from San Diego to West Virginia and it keeps on going without any problems. As long as you change the oil and get a tune up regularly I believe it will last well into the 200,000 mark. I would recommend it to anyone who wants an economical and fun car with a lot of pick up and go.

Lovin' it
By ADAM KEISER on 01/05/05 15:18 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful to me. I have only had but a few problems, i.e. waterpump, starter. It has taken well to all types of weather.

Low-reliability car.
By babalooo on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

Vehicle has had numerous problems from a blown manual trans, to engine, drive train, emissions, problems, you name it. Pure crap car: poor engineering, poor materials, poor design, just plain poor overall. Everyone else I know that has a VW has the same problem. VW will not fix these know generic problems like trans seal, broken locks, etc. Never again!!!

JETTA GT
By titanone on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

Over 6 years of reliable driving, great fuel economy and handling. Cheap to own and maintain.

good car, short money
By johnny C on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

sporty, fun to drive. quality German engineering for a fraction of the cost of other german motors