1997 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
My First Car
By Ashh on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car in 2007. It was a 5 speed stick shift with about 185,000 miles on it. I loved it from the start. Radio sounded awesome, seats were comfortable, plus it was super fun to zip around in. Almost 35 miles to the gallon. Almost 4 years later and less than 800 dollars into it, it had 216,000 miles on it and still kicking! Slight exhaust leak, and new struts needed, but only major problem was a leak in the radiator. The only reason I gave it up was to trade in for an SUV for the twins coming soon. Overall, absolutely loved this car!

VW fan, NOT Jetta fan
By theodore on 07/29/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I see many reviews ment std maint as a repair. I've owned my VW for 11 yrs and spent $2,500 for rep. Repl brake pads (30K mi), spark plugs, dist cap, & rotor (15K mi), fuel filter (15K mi), clean K&N air filter (15K mi), repl belts, gask, & hoses, tim belt 70K-80K mi, etc. My eng & man trans have been great (orig clutch, but slips on occ). The elect & cool syst are horr! I did repl the throttle body asmb 2X, ign switch, starter, driver's side lock to disable the alarm (still arms random), driver's window reg, MAS air-flow sens, etc. I have NO A/C, heat, or defog (switch melted) & NO cruise & horn. Key doesn't work in trunk lock & pass door. Temp, fuel, spd, & odom guages work on occasion.

If you have a VERY big walet
By Sambolton on 11/02/08 07:12 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used last year with 90,000 miles on it. Of course it had its share of use before my ownership, but this is just stupid. The cup holders are a joke. they could barley hold a can of soda when i was merging on the highway. and the seats (not power) are very difficult to use. Engine has NO power. 0-60? yeah it could be a while. and panels falling off the outside of my door. that was horrible. Very unreliable but good in snow and if you plan on hitting any cars going about 40 mph you can plan to walk away alive. VERY sturdy front end. saved my life absolutely. Even with that said, I have put way too much money into this car, so plan on having finances ready for the unexpected!

Transmission Problems With My 1997 VW
By vdubbub8403 on 07/18/08 21:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car 2-3 years ago and I have had nothing but trouble with the transmission slipping it started out something I can deal with but has just gotten worse threw time I think I have spend more money on this car than I paid at the dealership. I got an estimate on it $3000 to replace the transmission. Forget it I will go buy A Honda are A small truck I have heard that there is issues with this year and other years I wish I would of knew that before wasting my money I have always liked VW but I have lost all respect for them know

If only I'd known
By Siera on 07/12/08 06:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a not so reliable dealer unfortunately. The car worked well for about a month. The transmission has been on its way out since I bought it. I've had to replace the fuel pump and other assorted things because it wouldn't start. Now it's not starting again, two months after the last fiasco. This time its believed to be the ignition switch. The only way it stays on is to hold the key all the way over. I have been told by a VW specialist to get rid of it while I still can. It's been nothing but problems and now I have to look for a new car before a start college in a month. My boyfriend's sister had one too and they told her it wasn't safe to drive anymore and to get rid of it.

Jetta
By Hank on 02/05/07 06:22 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for over five years and have had no problems. This is my third VW and have been pleased with each. This is a fun vehicle to drive and it corners very well with minimal under steer. The heated cloth seats work great.

Very Delicate
By Steve on 08/29/06 05:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Our Jetta had many mechanical problems after the 100,000 mile mark. The first was a major auto trans rebuild. Then, the starter, drive axles, power steering hose, all four power window operators (at various times), cruise control and more. Volkswagen's parts are expensive. It is a nice driving car when running, but it is very delicate.

Relibable Little Car
By reignevryd on 08/22/06 17:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have to say that my first experience back with a Jetta wasn't a good one. It was a piece of junk. It was a 1995 GL, however it could have been a good car at one time. Now, I have the '97 GLS, bought used, and it has been a very reliable car. It feels good knowing that every morning when I go to work, it will fire right up. My car has had a few minor issues with the electrical system, such as the door locks and sunroof, but otherwise it is a great ride. I like the dash setup, and as a parent, this is crucial in order to control the locks, windows, and lighting with one hand.

I Love the Jetta III
By chriscois on 11/29/05 17:02 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Our 1997 Volkswagen Jetta has been great for us. It is very fun to drive as it's the 5-speed. We replaced the front brakes and timing belt at around 90,000 miles and recently had a power window regulator go out that I couldn't fix myself. It is kind of hard to get to all the plugs during a home tune-up, but this is still a good basic engine that's relatively easy to do general maintenance on. This car may have been built in Mexico (or maybe not), but you can feel the good quality German engineering that's gone into it. It's my favourite car of the ten cars that I've owned in my lifetime!

Save yourself!
By EPureza on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This car sucks! Definitely not worth the money you'll spend. Power window regulators break regularly, all four of them for $350 a pop. Power locks and alarm will malfunction, beware possibly VW service's ploy so you'll dump more money into it. Why even put heated seats, it only lasted less than 3 years and cost $600 to fix. Don't be fooled by its look! Save yourself!