Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My First Car
By Ashh

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car in 2007. It was a 5 speed stick shift with about 185,000 miles on it. I loved it from the start. Radio sounded awesome, seats were comfortable, plus it was super fun to zip around in. Almost 35 miles to the gallon. Almost 4 years later and less than 800 dollars into it, it had 216,000 miles on it and still kicking! Slight exhaust leak, and new struts needed, but only major problem was a leak in the radiator. The only reason I gave it up was to trade in for an SUV for the twins coming soon. Overall, absolutely loved this car!

Large trunk space, radio sounded great, comfortable seats, and sporty look

VW fan, NOT Jetta fan
By theodore

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I see many reviews ment std maint as a repair. I've owned my VW for 11 yrs and spent $2,500 for rep. Repl brake pads (30K mi), spark plugs, dist cap, & rotor (15K mi), fuel filter (15K mi), clean K&N air filter (15K mi), repl belts, gask, & hoses, tim belt 70K-80K mi, etc. My eng & man trans have been great (orig clutch, but slips on occ). The elect & cool syst are horr! I did repl the throttle body asmb 2X, ign switch, starter, driver's side lock to disable the alarm (still arms random), driver's window reg, MAS air-flow sens, etc. I have NO A/C, heat, or defog (switch melted) & NO cruise & horn. Key doesn't work in trunk lock & pass door. Temp, fuel, spd, & odom guages work on occasion.

Great handling, reliable manual trans, good gas mileage, lots of space to work on parts under hood, sunroof (been reliable), dashboard in great condition, huge trunk with excellent, fold-down, split rear seats, good body design (no rust and little faded paint), extremely rugged (even off- roading).

I think that VW intentionally produces parts which will malfunction after a certain amount of miles. I have maintained this vehicle myself, with some outside help from a reliable mechanic. To have a plethora of elect & cooling components go bad is a disgrace! This occurs in their newer cars, too.

If you have a VERY big walet
By Sambolton

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this car used last year with 90,000 miles on it. Of course it had its share of use before my ownership, but this is just stupid. The cup holders are a joke. they could barley hold a can of soda when i was merging on the highway. and the seats (not power) are very difficult to use. Engine has NO power. 0-60? yeah it could be a while. and panels falling off the outside of my door. that was horrible. Very unreliable but good in snow and if you plan on hitting any cars going about 40 mph you can plan to walk away alive. VERY sturdy front end. saved my life absolutely. Even with that said, I have put way too much money into this car, so plan on having finances ready for the unexpected!

Big trunk.

Cup holders. CD changer. Engine! Auto trans can decide what gear to be in... it's begging for a stick shift!

Transmission Problems With My 1997 VW
By vdubbub8403

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car 2-3 years ago and I have had nothing but trouble with the transmission slipping it started out something I can deal with but has just gotten worse threw time I think I have spend more money on this car than I paid at the dealership. I got an estimate on it $3000 to replace the transmission. Forget it I will go buy A Honda are A small truck I have heard that there is issues with this year and other years I wish I would of knew that before wasting my money I have always liked VW but I have lost all respect for them know

If only I'd known
By Siera

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a not so reliable dealer unfortunately. The car worked well for about a month. The transmission has been on its way out since I bought it. I've had to replace the fuel pump and other assorted things because it wouldn't start. Now it's not starting again, two months after the last fiasco. This time its believed to be the ignition switch. The only way it stays on is to hold the key all the way over. I have been told by a VW specialist to get rid of it while I still can. It's been nothing but problems and now I have to look for a new car before a start college in a month. My boyfriend's sister had one too and they told her it wasn't safe to drive anymore and to get rid of it.

The sunroof. I love it. The sound system is also pretty nice for factory.

Gas mileage. I get maybe 20 mpg. The transmission needs replaced. Expensive parts and labor because it needs to go to a VW person. Haven't met a person yet who liked their Jetta, new or used.