Used 1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Best Car
By Shorty

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I bought my car about 5 months ago and nothing has gone wrong with it. My 97 Trek has Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, CD player (aftermarket), Power Sunroof, and Anti-Lock Brakes. The car is really fun to drive and I really like the manual transmision and clutch. The only thing I don't like is that there is a short little high pitched squeak when I first begin to open the sunroof and it lasts about one second.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, overall exterior attractiveness

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof squeak

Fun,fast,zippy 4 banger
By wvmechanic88

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

Good little car. plenty of power and torque for a 2.0 gas engine. great gas econmy 30+ mpg. sporty handling.plenty of room for a small car. now for the cons. not that good in bad weather. cheap plastic parts. power windows have lots of problems. expensive repairs if you have a shop do them. traded in with 170K miles due to bad rust on body but she still run great.

Favorite Features

powerful engine, sporty handling, ease of spare tire changes, location of controls.

Suggested Improvements

use better materials on the interior, better power window mechanisms.

VW heaven
By Vw all the way

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

This car will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first. I love the interior but the cup holders are not good. I have had issues with window motors and transmission but I have recked it two times and its still getting me around with out issues at 130k. Overall this is a nice car and its design is very sporty.

Favorite Features

bucket racing seats with trek design, alloy factory rims and spoiler

Suggested Improvements

cup holders, catalytic converter

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By Robin M

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

We bought our Jetta Trek new in 1997. We've had three of the power windows go out (at 26,000, 30,000, and 34,000 miles), replaced the clutch twice, replaced the brakes three times, replaced the battery four times, replaced both our power front door locks, and now our alarm arms itself at random while we are driving the car. VW customer service also leaves much to be desired. I thought I would love this car, and to be fair it is fun to drive, but I will never buy another VW because of all the problems we've had with the car and customer service.

Favorite Features

At this point, very little about this car impresses me.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the window problem, electrical system, and VW customer service.

Sport Sleeper
By New Dad

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

So, my wife has never owned anything but a VW. When her '88 Fox GL wagon finally went over the hill, we bought this car, and we love it. The Trek edition is beautiful with the flat 5-spoke 14" rims and the rear deck lid spoiler. Keep wax on it and the Fiesta Red will shine forever. The 2.0L SOHC 8V engine is fantastic. Don't let the uninspiring 115hp fool you. It's the 122lb/ft of torque that makes this car fly. You want a 5-speed. Throw on some Koni adjustable shocks/struts and you've got a European sports sedan.

Favorite Features

Optional Clarion 6-disk CD changer. Cavernous trunk. Unless you lock the doors with the key from the outside with a passenger door open, throw your keys in the passenger door, and then close the door, you cannot lock yourself out.

Suggested Improvements

Buy yourself an OBDII code reader for $67-140 and you'll save yourself hundreds in dealer diagnostics. The check engine light comes on for scheduled services you don't need. The code reader can turn the light off or tell you if you have a real problem.