1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Fun,fast,zippy 4 banger
By wvmechanic88 on 09/27/12 15:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

Good little car. plenty of power and torque for a 2.0 gas engine. great gas econmy 30+ mpg. sporty handling.plenty of room for a small car. now for the cons. not that good in bad weather. cheap plastic parts. power windows have lots of problems. expensive repairs if you have a shop do them. traded in with 170K miles due to bad rust on body but she still run great.

VW heaven
By Vw all the way on 06/13/08 08:50 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

This car will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first. I love the interior but the cup holders are not good. I have had issues with window motors and transmission but I have recked it two times and its still getting me around with out issues at 130k. Overall this is a nice car and its design is very sporty.

Best Car
By Shorty on 01/03/05 00:01 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I bought my car about 5 months ago and nothing has gone wrong with it. My 97 Trek has Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, CD player (aftermarket), Power Sunroof, and Anti-Lock Brakes. The car is really fun to drive and I really like the manual transmision and clutch. The only thing I don't like is that there is a short little high pitched squeak when I first begin to open the sunroof and it lasts about one second.

Sport Sleeper
By New Dad on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

So, my wife has never owned anything but a VW. When her '88 Fox GL wagon finally went over the hill, we bought this car, and we love it. The Trek edition is beautiful with the flat 5-spoke 14" rims and the rear deck lid spoiler. Keep wax on it and the Fiesta Red will shine forever. The 2.0L SOHC 8V engine is fantastic. Don't let the uninspiring 115hp fool you. It's the 122lb/ft of torque that makes this car fly. You want a 5-speed. Throw on some Koni adjustable shocks/struts and you've got a European sports sedan.

Fun to drive, but not fun to own
By Robin M on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

We bought our Jetta Trek new in 1997. We've had three of the power windows go out (at 26,000, 30,000, and 34,000 miles), replaced the clutch twice, replaced the brakes three times, replaced the battery four times, replaced both our power front door locks, and now our alarm arms itself at random while we are driving the car. VW customer service also leaves much to be desired. I thought I would love this car, and to be fair it is fun to drive, but I will never buy another VW because of all the problems we've had with the car and customer service.

Jetta Trek...What an amazing car.
By Mardin on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 97 VW jetta from a private party. It is my first car. I have had it for just over a year now and have put about 5000 miles on it since purchase. This car runs great, very reliable and always fun to drive. Everywhere I go I turn heads, because the car is in such good shape and just a sight to see. I would reccomend a 5 speed VW jetta (esp Trek) to anyone looking for a dependable car with great handling, a smooth ride, and more power than you would espect from a normal 4 cyl. car.

I love my car....but
By Phatmal on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in '98 and loved driving it from the get go. She has a lot of spirit and really likes to be driven on the open road. Unfortunately, she's not been a cheap car to own. Most recently (last 12 months), I've had to replace the sunroof cassette ($700), the door locks $400...they actually fell out of the car!), and the starter ($600) and had to have the vacuum system fixed ($100). Luckily I haven't been stranded anywhere! Not only that but there are little things that break in the interior that are a pain. I love driving this car and am so attached to her but I'm considering getting rid of her cause I'm afraid of what's going to break next.

Fun German car
By Mephistopholes on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a few months ago and all I've really driven with it since then is long trips on the freeway. This car gets very very respectable gas milage for the freeway trips and its gearing is such that it has plenty of passing punch even in top gear at 70 MPH. Also this car is fun, it may be somewhat underpowered but it is certainly a car which wants to be hustled and loves the twisties. A+ German engineering in a resonable car.