1997 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great overall car, maintenance is key to go 200k+ miles
By vwguy84 on 05/06/14 14:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I owned 2 VWs on the past, a 02 Jetta Wolfsburg, and 03 Gti , both 1.8t 5spds. I recently got rid of my newer truck to go back to No payments, and found a 1997 Jetta Gt black with black leather w/140k miles this past January. This car has been awesome, ive taken great care of her, since it was a 1 owner and interior is immaculate with no rips and paint looks new. mechanically car seems very sound, especially on the freeway, its very smooth. Ive had a few hiccups with car, such as gas gauge not always working or power door locks not working on driver side, but its expected with a older car. I plan to do a full overhaul and tune up to car in next 6 months, glad i finally own MK3 JETTA.

Fun,fast,zippy 4 banger
By wvmechanic88 on 09/27/12 15:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Trek 4dr Sedan

Good little car. plenty of power and torque for a 2.0 gas engine. great gas econmy 30+ mpg. sporty handling.plenty of room for a small car. now for the cons. not that good in bad weather. cheap plastic parts. power windows have lots of problems. expensive repairs if you have a shop do them. traded in with 170K miles due to bad rust on body but she still run great.

Good car, but it will cost you in the long run...
By flint879 on 10/07/11 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This car was great when my wife and I first bought it. Great gas mileage, very reliable when travelling long distances and it wasn't bad to drive. I wouldn't recommend owning this car though. The gas mileage is great, but it's a Volkswagen, parts for this car are not easy to find and when you find them, they are hella expensive. Since I've owned this car (4 years), I've had to replace the transmission, 3 starters, exhaust system, fuel pump, and other such things. It doesn't do well in terms of going up hills because the engine is so small it can barely make it up most hills. Other than the gas mileage, I don't care much for this car.

My First Car
By Ashh on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car in 2007. It was a 5 speed stick shift with about 185,000 miles on it. I loved it from the start. Radio sounded awesome, seats were comfortable, plus it was super fun to zip around in. Almost 35 miles to the gallon. Almost 4 years later and less than 800 dollars into it, it had 216,000 miles on it and still kicking! Slight exhaust leak, and new struts needed, but only major problem was a leak in the radiator. The only reason I gave it up was to trade in for an SUV for the twins coming soon. Overall, absolutely loved this car!

Made me a VW fan for life.
By Gunar on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GT 4dr Sedan

I got this car 6 years ago for my 16th birthday. I was the first of my friends to be able to drive. The car had just hit 100,000 when I got it... Being the only one who could drive I was always loading my Jetta (we named it Ronald) with friends and going all over the place. It's never let me down. It's still running, and I bet it's going to run for quite a long time more. I've put 65,000 miles on it in 6 years, with only routine maintenance, and it's still chugging along as great at it was when I got it... The VR6 has TONS of get up and go, and people are amazed how fast this thing will get going when I put my foot down. This is my first Volkswagen, and it's NOT going to be my last one.

Love it
By Ohio on 04/16/10 17:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Jetta GLX for thirteen years. It is fun to drive, goes like a soldier through snow, and has minimal rust for its age. I had a head gasket problem which necessitated an engine replacement (or so my mechanic said), but that is the ONLY repair I have had other than scheduled maintenance. Interior is top quality, still looking fine today, the trunk space is great, and I have had no problems with exterior body trim. I am still running the original muffler, though the fore intake pipe on the first unit is broken and the car is a bit noisy. Thank goodness for cage straps which make it able to delay the replacement a bit longer. Overall, I am very satisfied.

get ready..
By timme791 on 02/01/10 02:36 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I am 18 and work on cars as a hobby so I do know what I'm talking about. To start off I have done many mods to this car. Watch out for European parts vs American... Very different supports. And parts can come pricy. My car... At about 105k miles had an intake valve come loose. It cost me 2400 bucks... More than I bought the car for. After I fixed that, my maf went bad (cost 500) and a week later... Engine light back on. Stick with jdm than this. The handling is fun, but needs a lot more power and the gas isnt as great as most everyone claims it to be. Stock averages like 20 mpg and I get 22 with my intake. Just... Prepare for problems basically. I love this car but it can frustrate me!

Love this Car
By Lovemyjetta on 01/28/10 14:37 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I have had a lot of luck with this car. Besides routine maintenance: tires, oil changes, belts, brakes, exhaust and tune ups, I have put nothing into the car. My only problem with German cars in general is their emissions standards are so high that to replace the system when it broke was $1500. Otherwise, I have put in the routine maintenance and he runs like a charm. Still reliable at 186,000 miles.

cursed car
By shellky on 08/23/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my jetta for around six months now and had nothing but problems I know the complete history of the car being close friends with every owner its always had an elet problem brake light randomly not working but other than that no big problems sence ive had it the trunk latch broke key and elet moldings falling off coolant resvior cracked catt cloged fuel injector exhaust the brake lights are blowing instead of just randomly not working the coil cracked the back seat is falling apart clutch is going (180k impressive but still on its way out)

VW fan, NOT Jetta fan
By theodore on 07/29/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I see many reviews ment std maint as a repair. I've owned my VW for 11 yrs and spent $2,500 for rep. Repl brake pads (30K mi), spark plugs, dist cap, & rotor (15K mi), fuel filter (15K mi), clean K&N air filter (15K mi), repl belts, gask, & hoses, tim belt 70K-80K mi, etc. My eng & man trans have been great (orig clutch, but slips on occ). The elect & cool syst are horr! I did repl the throttle body asmb 2X, ign switch, starter, driver's side lock to disable the alarm (still arms random), driver's window reg, MAS air-flow sens, etc. I have NO A/C, heat, or defog (switch melted) & NO cruise & horn. Key doesn't work in trunk lock & pass door. Temp, fuel, spd, & odom guages work on occasion.