Tough Tough car
By WOBtheJetta on
1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan
I bought my Jetta used in January of 2000 with 60,000 miles. I now have 140,000 miles on it. I drive it VERY hard when the engine has warmed up but am easy on it while its warming up. I think that and 5000 mile intervals of fresh 20W50 are the keys to longevity. I get about 29(summer), 31 (non-summer) mpg in town, 34 on a slow highway, and 29 on the interstate, and this is with my lead foot!!! The engine, transmission, and clutch are extremely durable ~~ they are all still original, and the engine has never burned any oil!!
Favorite Features
Reliability black upholstery, La Cucaracha seatbelt reminder tone, airbags *and* seatbelt pretensioners, three wheeler handling, lots of frontseat legroom, killer A/C and Heat, decent factory speakers, jaquard velour, huge trunk, tiny turn-radius, excellent city fuel economy.
Suggested Improvements
Trim panels on door should be snap mounted rather than glued so they wouldn't fall off. Flash Red could use a clearcoat. Squeak and Rattle levels are excessive. Glovebox should exist, console storage should be larger than a box of matches, trunk and back seat lights, wind noise.