Solid and Reliable Vee Dub
By gettajetta on
1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan
The '96 GL was my second Jetta after I traded up my old one, an '86, with 200K miles. I bought this one used (returned from lease) with around 40K miles on it. I love the German engineering and absolute solid feel of this car. This one has 100K miles on it and is as tight as the day I bought it. Although no frills, it's peppy, good in inclimate weather, gets around 34 highway MPG, and is very dependable. Other than routine maintenance (brakes, exhaust, battery etc) I've put no money into this vehicle. If you're looking for a no nonsense safe solid car that's also stylish and fun to drive try a Jetta. This has been the best car I've owned.
Favorite Features
Overall feel and handling. Comfortable interior with plenty of leg and head room. FUN to drive - my wife loves it as well. I actually feel like part of the car when I'm driving. I have had zero maintenance issues with this car.
Suggested Improvements
Reduce road noise - tough to do in a compact car. Improve the door locks, the door lock froze on occasion (in severe cold) - after repeated use of de- icer, a spring in the lock corroded and broke.