1996 Volkswagen Jetta 2.8L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - 1st Name Basis with my

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLX VR6 Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

1st Name Basis with my Mechanic
By edtoys4kids on

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Bought used in 1998 at 36k. A real love/hate relationship. Problems: O2 sensor, Check Engine Light, Electrical Components, Exterior Trim, and Lock Cylinders. Now a new trans at 83k miles. Our extended warranty has paid for itself and is earning money. The car requires NAME BRAND premium gas from stations like Shell, Mobil, & Chevron and not less expensive places like Citgo, Freestate, Costco. Since following mechanic's advice I've not seen the check engine light. Good: Major headaches aside, I really like this car. Comfortable on long distance trips, even with children. It's comfortable, looks cool, and handles well in bad weather.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, tight steering. Heated seats, sun roof. Lots of room for stuff as long as it's not boxy (won't fit into trunk opening).

Suggested Improvements

Glove Box. Bag straps catch on seat levers. Visors don't block the sun through side windows. Cup holders can't hold anything taller than a soda can. Interior CD changer.