Look at a Different Car
By Ashley on
1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan
I bought my 1996 Volkswagen Jetta in April of 2005. Two days after I bought it, it started to make a horrible noise EVERY time I put it in reverse. The only time I put my car in reverse now is to get out of a parking spot. I have had constant problems with my Jetta since I bought it. I have had the check engine light on more then it has been off. I am now trying to sell it and buy a different car that I feel comfortable driving on the freeway. Right now I find myself using the backroads from get to place to place.
Favorite Features
All of the windows are all one touch, you can also roll down all the windows using the key from outside.
Suggested Improvements
The cup holders are small in the front. They fit can of soda, but won't hold bottles.
By mickeyt52
on 04/03/11 16:22 PM (PDT)

That's probably because the previous owner shoved it into reverse while rolling forward, or with the clutch not fully depressed. Part driver error, part bad design on VW's part. The VR6 models got the newer design trans which hardly ever experienced this problem. But the problem wouldn't happen if one was patient when going into reverse. Whenever I look at one of these cars to buy, the first thing I do is put it in reverse and back the car up. If the trans make a lot of noise while the car is moving, even if it doesn't pop out of gear, I know that there is damage to the gears.