1996 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Beware the transmission!

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

Beware the transmission!
By Sarah117 on

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car last year with 84,000 miles on it. Little did I know, automatic jettas have a reputation for needing the transmission replaced at 100,000. Here I am a year and a half later, and I need a new car even though this one is not yet paid off. It's a shame, because I loved to drive it (back when it still moved!) I have since been told by many independent mechanics that they're constantly replacing the ATs. Also: needed 900 bucks of electrical work, power locks broke, speakers needed replaced, alarm needed fixed, oil leak, water leak, something is screwy with the alignment or tires that can't seem to be fixed even after many attempts. . .

Favorite Features

Does fantastic in the snow!! Better than any SUV you could possibly find. Looks super sharp, especially with the spoiler. I love the sunroof! And it never leaves you stranded. It will get you home regardless of what's leaking or broken. Reliability in that sense.

Suggested Improvements

Build a transmission that lasts longer than 96,000 miles, for starters. Also, not having to take my car to the shop twice a month would be a nice improvement, indeed.