1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Never Again
By Shoregirl on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Never Again will I buy VW. Unfortunately, I had bought this car used in '99 with 36k miles on it. I have had nothing but problems with it. From small mechanical problems, to having to replace my entire transmission last year, this car has been nothing but a giant headache. I hate to drive it because it always seems like there is something wrong, and it's broken down more times than I can count. I don't know if I was just sold a lemon but this experience, unfortunately, has made me never want to buy VW again.

little things
By jlackn01 on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive with lots of pick up. Handling is superb. Lots of little problems that cause big heartache. Electronic system is terrible with things constantly going wrong. 3 of 4 power windows have been repaired, ABS problem, coilpack arcing, exterior molding prone to problems, falling off trim, molding, emblems, faulty AC line pump.

U cant top a volkswagen
By KBVW14 on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

my jetta trek 96...is a black beauty....spoiler...sunroof...tinted out...blasting stereo system im in love...volkswagens are great cars i recommend them to anyone my next one will probably be the gti i'll be out, they are real quick xoxo

Jetta
By Tina5 on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

smooth drive, pick up is good, breaks a little slow.

price + $300 or more every 2 months!!!!
By Candy on 06/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Like all the other Jetta owners, I am severly disappointed with the electrical system. My theory is that they purposely make the electrical stuff burn out every 2 months, in order to get you to spend lots of money. My car has visted their repair shop at least 3 times a year alone for just the stupid windows that keep getting stuck!!

Everyone should buy a Jetta
By I LOVE MY JEttA on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX/VR6 in February 2001. It was 5 years old with 46,000 miles. I have had it for one year and I have had no problems with it. There are 60,000 miles on it and I plan to drive another 60,000.

Super Car....Runs like new
By Jetta Cool on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in the fall 1995, had a few teething problems the first year, but since then it's a been a champ. Over 95,000 miles it's been great. It's sporty and gas mizer too, 34 mpg on the highway at 70-80 mph. Brakes lasted over 60,000 miles, still have original muffler, A/C runs cold after 6 years with no recharges. The best recommendation I can give this car is I would sell it to my mother and not worry one bit about it breaking down.

DON'T BUY ONE
By GetLemonSold on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I completely agree with one other posting here. This car has been more trouble than ANY other I can think of. I have had every major electrical problem possible and everytime I fix one, another occurs. The entire ignition system has been replace, TWICE. My last comment is that VW customer service stinks. Sure, the people are nice to talk to but they won't help you out financially at all. Read those warranties carefully everybody!

A few bumps...but what a ride
By Jetta's Rule on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta brand new in '96 and it's taken me acroos country twice and into the deep canadian woods about 5 times. It's a great car for the price. I just wish the cup holders weren't so small and awkwardly positioned. True Germans wouldn't even think of drinking in their cars. It's an american convenience. After getting over a couple small problems ( check engine lights, clogged pugs etc.) in teh firt 10,000 miles my car hasn't had a problem since. Do yourself and your car a favor and chgange the oil every 3,000 miles not the recommended 5,000. It will save $ in the long run.

Satisfied Jetta owner
By cheeku on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This is my first car straight out of school. Bought it at 68000 miles and now it has got around 91000 miles (22K miles in 1 year!). I love my car - the stick shift is a joy to operate. Only issues are the power windows which a lot of people seem to experience. That is probably one serious bug - I dont what the engineers were smoking on when they designed that. So in case you are looking at a used jetta go for the GL version.Other than the power windows I have had to spend only on regular maintenance stuff (oil/fluid changes, 90K maintenance ). If you are looking for a first car and want something more fun than a civic - go for the Jetta!