1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Automatic Transmission sucks!!
By hatemyjetta2 on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Definitely had trouble with automatic transmission at around 99,000 miles. Even though still under warranty, the dealer screwed us and VW did not stand by their warranty. Also had problems with it quitting while driving in rain. VW was never able to figure out the problem after several shop visits, but my husband did--it was the ignition coil $240.00 parts. Also had to replace ignition and the drivers door lock-only now we have 2 separate keys to start and open the car door. No doubt its a good little engine--but auto trans and electrical sys clearly has problems. A stick shift is probably your best bet.

Minor Problems
By bec on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96 GLS not too long ago with 55k right now I have 60k. Theres only a few minor problems with the Jetta basically, the window regulators, CEL, noises mostly alot of electrical problems. Other than that the vw runs great.

luvajetta
By lovethejetta on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My Jetta has been extremely reliable. No mechanical problems other than normal wear items such as tires, muffler, and brakes. Great gas mileage. Fun to drive - very zippy.

1996 Jetta was a rip off !!!
By hatemyJetta on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Me: Why is it that Volkswagen of America can't, or won't I should say, give me a straight answer on why this car stalls in the rain on a consistent basis or why it won't start on a damp or humid day? I have spent more money on fixing my car than driving it. I am very disappointed in Volkswagen. I am even the original owner and I can't even begin to understand why VW is giving me the run around. I was better off buying a used Yugo...remember those? Good luck to all that own one and hope you don't get stranded like I always have. Still waiting for a response from VW... VW: No comment but we want your money

Disappointed
By NotaJettaFan on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan City 4dr Sedan

I brought my 1996 Jetta GL used wtih only 27,875 miles on it with 2 yr warranty. I had always heard good things about Jetta's but this car has been trouble since about the time I brought it. Within 6 weeks, all 4 side moldings had to be replaced, and they all came off within different times requiring me to take it back to shop. Then the ignition had to be replaced as well as starter. Then the driver's side door lock, fuel injection, etc. It was in the shop every 3 to 4 months. What a pain. I will never purchase another VW.

Jetta Problems
By Paul Threatt on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Oil leaked into my clutch housing and caused it to fail. The visor clips broke on both visors. Instead of using two screws to hold the clip in, VW used one screw and one plastic stud that fits into the roof. My ingition coil went bad, causing strange electrical problems. It eventually failed. Expensive repair. The exterior molding falls off all the doors. I've seen this on almost all Jetta's. A faulty oil pressure switch caused the alarm to go off. This prompted me to quit driving the car and have it towed to the dealership. door locks won't open with the key when the temp. drops below around 20 degrees, regardless of humidity.

Best car ever
By og will on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

What a great car

Mixed Review
By Jewels on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

My father warned me not to buy a VW, but I didn't listen--Now I kinda wish I had. I love the look of the car and it's really fun to drive, however, I bought it used in 2000, so it was already 4 years old. I was elated until I took it in 7 times for repairs. Lucky for me I got a great 3 yr./100,000 mile warranty--otherwise I would have been screwed!. All the repairs were covered-- but about 9 months later the clutch, brakes and lights all needed replacing. I will say, though, that those are typical things that need replacing. I would just recommend that you really take your time choosing and researching.

Drivers FOUND
By jferguso on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

Since purchasing this car, I have had ZERO problems. I love VWs, my husband also has a VW in GREAT condition (1993 Corrado). Driving a VW is like a certain genre of music, some like it, some do not. If you do not, do your poor car a FAVOR, and SELL your VW to a GOOD home who will give your car the love and care it deserves! VW has consistently been on the forefront of technology, and practice their philosophy of continuous improvement. PS: I have also owned several new GM and Honda products. GM=Poor Quality, even with proper maintenance; also love HONDA--funnily enough, on my 1999 Honda Civic, the only part to break was a $100 a/c piece made by, GM.

Love VW, not Jetta
By Love VW, not Jetta on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Electrical nightmare. I don't know if it's just Jetta's or did I buy a lemon? From what I've heard from others, electrical is not one of their high points. Windows Stuck, auto locks don't work anymore, ignition went out, check engine light comes on consistently. Other than that, this is a true "performance" vehicle. Great handling on curvy roads. Peppy and fun to drive until something goes wrong.