1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews 6

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

1996 Jetta Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Stay away from this cute little $ pit.
By troykins

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Don't buy this horrible vehicle. I have spent a small fortune fixing the shoddy electrical system, just to have it break over and over again. My mechanic tells me that Volkswagon still hasn't solved the problem with the wiring, even after all these years! Also the bumper is falling off and the engine feels like it's about to jump out of the hood, this dispite the fact that this car has never been wrecked.

1st Name Basis with my Mechanic
By edtoys4kids

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Bought used in 1998 at 36k. A real love/hate relationship. Problems: O2 sensor, Check Engine Light, Electrical Components, Exterior Trim, and Lock Cylinders. Now a new trans at 83k miles. Our extended warranty has paid for itself and is earning money. The car requires NAME BRAND premium gas from stations like Shell, Mobil, & Chevron and not less expensive places like Citgo, Freestate, Costco. Since following mechanic's advice I've not seen the check engine light. Good: Major headaches aside, I really like this car. Comfortable on long distance trips, even with children. It's comfortable, looks cool, and handles well in bad weather.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, tight steering. Heated seats, sun roof. Lots of room for stuff as long as it's not boxy (won't fit into trunk opening).

Suggested Improvements

Glove Box. Bag straps catch on seat levers. Visors don't block the sun through side windows. Cup holders can't hold anything taller than a soda can. Interior CD changer.

Lots of problems
By Ripped Off

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but bad for me. I have replaced window regulators 6 times and have 3 windows currently not working. The exterior molding is falling off and all of my guages have stopped working. I have had to replace my O2 sensor and the water pump went out. Won't buy a VW again!

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all of the repairs above

Tough Tough car
By WOBtheJetta

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta used in January of 2000 with 60,000 miles. I now have 140,000 miles on it. I drive it VERY hard when the engine has warmed up but am easy on it while its warming up. I think that and 5000 mile intervals of fresh 20W50 are the keys to longevity. I get about 29(summer), 31 (non-summer) mpg in town, 34 on a slow highway, and 29 on the interstate, and this is with my lead foot!!! The engine, transmission, and clutch are extremely durable ~~ they are all still original, and the engine has never burned any oil!!

Favorite Features

Reliability black upholstery, La Cucaracha seatbelt reminder tone, airbags *and* seatbelt pretensioners, three wheeler handling, lots of frontseat legroom, killer A/C and Heat, decent factory speakers, jaquard velour, huge trunk, tiny turn-radius, excellent city fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Trim panels on door should be snap mounted rather than glued so they wouldn't fall off. Flash Red could use a clearcoat. Squeak and Rattle levels are excessive. Glovebox should exist, console storage should be larger than a box of matches, trunk and back seat lights, wind noise.

Check Engine Light & O2 sensor
By Check Engine Light

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Check Engine Light, Check Engine Light, Check Engine Light, Check Engine Light & O2 sensor, O2 sensor, O2 sensor, O2 sensor what else can I say, this car STINKS!!!! I did not buy this car used but brand NEW, off the lot. The 1-800 # and the “customer advocates” were USELESS, VW of North America does not stand by what they sell. Just got the run around. 6+ years of this non-sense and over 150 days off the road. Toyota/Honda here I come. I will give the dealer credit, (Schoolman VW in VA) they sucked up most of the costs that VW did not cover and through in a few free items.

Favorite Features

The "Check Engine Light" has a nice amber glow.

Suggested Improvements

By-pass the O2 sensor

Ultra Reliable Jetta!
By KC Dave

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Trek with 127,000 miles. 3 months later it now has 138,000 miles! Has been a wonderful car & experience! Only problems are oil leaks & like everyone else has said,, driver side door lock switch is bad. I get great gas mileage & it's a blast to drive. 138,000 miles & oil leak & I still add NO oil between changes!

Favorite Features

Reliability, design.

Suggested Improvements

Seats aren't very comfortable, cup holders are useless!

it should be called jipwagen
By jipwagen

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

what a piece of junk. my wife wanted something different, and boy did she get just that. electrical nightmare. 4 o2 sensors, turn signal switch, headlight switch, check engine light has been on so many times ive lost count. interior is falling appart, sunroof leaks, exterior molding is falling off, ive glued many times. i cant believe i paid money for this vehicle. and the vw customer center is a joke. didnt want to help me at all. the problems with this car started when we were driving the thing home. all i can say is im very unhappy with this whole volkswagen experience.

Favorite Features

the fuel milage is good.

Suggested Improvements

build a better car.

Fun car, mixed reviews
By glcorbett

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I still love driving this car, particular as it is a manual (and thus, peppy). The electrical system, and annoying (very expensive) things like poor window motors and windshield wiper motors take a lot away from my overall satisfaction with this car.

Favorite Features

Agrressive handling, huge trunk, and general feel.

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper parts, better quality on some components (cupholder broke in a year), and better electrical system.

Love my Jetta!
By Aline

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I LOVE MY JETTA! I bought my Jetta brand new in '96. It has taken me back and forth to school countless times (300 miles one way), cross country twice and to Alaska. 73000 miles later, I still love my Jetta and have had no problems. I have gotten the scheduled VW maintenance every 7500 miles, without fail. I had to have the drivers door lock replaced in TX, but have not had any problems with it since, even in AK with below 0 temperatures. In fact, last winter, my Jetta sat outside for a week when the temperature didn't get above 0 and she started right up, no problems! I've only had to have the brakes and battery replaced. I really cannot say enough!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, really fun to drive, love the look, easy shifting, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of cup holders and a light in the trunk.

Big Disappointment
By fielder3rd

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used w/ 23,000 miles. Looked good,ran fine, fun to drive. Then, as soon as i got over 80,000 miles the thing started falling apart....literally. The third brakelight in the rear window fell off. The side moldings on both front doors came off. The passenger side front door lock assembly came out with the key one day. Then the crankshaft broke. I had it rebuilt to the tune of $2200. I foolishly thought that if i had it repaired the car would be good to go for a long time without another major repair. Wrong. The ECM went bad @ 100,000 miles. I traded the thing in on a 2000 Maxima. Good riddance.

Favorite Features

looks good,fun & sporty

Suggested Improvements

Pay attention to quality in the details. Side moldings and lock assembleys are simple. Get it right. VW's could be so great if they didn't try to save pennies by cutting corners on quality.