Used 1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Ugh. This car. Nightmare.
By Jaemoney

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

So, on the whole this car should be put in one. Cheap quality: I've noticed many of you Jetta drivers are also missing your side moldings. in the last year: Towed 3 times, the coil blew, alternator went, timing chain broke, distributer broke, wires replaced twice, muffler fell off, trunk-lock mechinism broke off, breather tube cracked, O2 sensor replaced twice, oil sender unit cracked, paint is coming off, plastic knobs in the interior are coming off, strange burning smell coming from the rear wheels (mechanic can't figure it out). Not a great car. Poorly assembeled, cheap materials. The electrical system is jumpy. Bulbs often blow and get me pulled over.

Favorite Features

... I'm hard pressed. The seats are relatively comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality. I don't think I overpaid for the car initially, however the repairs cost me a lot.

I love this car
By jetta for life

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for 5 years now and had not a single problem. I have done all the standard maintanence and had no problems. The car is very zippy and loves to be driven. The gas mileage is perfect to. I get just over 30 on the freway and about 27 in the city. The backseat is a little small perfect for kids, but this is about all. I love the huge trunk and that the back seats fold down.

Favorite Features

all the windows are one touch on the way down. All the windows go up or down using the key outside the car.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel needs to tilt more. Needs better cupholders.

Never Own a VW again
By Dean Mead

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

When I first purchased the car it was a nice performer, but I really didn't know that it would only last about 6 months. Now, it has been the worst car I have ever owned. There are too many mechanical issues to list. I used to own a Honda and I never had any problems with it, ever. I kept up on the maintance, as I do with my VW, and it ran for 250,000 miles. I have 130,000 miles on the VW and I am hoping that a deer jumps out in front of it. It isn't worth anything and I still owe a ton on it. I will never buy another VW again. Next purchase will be a Honda.

Find a different car...
By steadfastera

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Obviously i am typing this so that if anyone reads this about a 96 GLS jetta, just try and find another car. this car has given me so many problems that its not even cool anymore. First off 3/4 windows got replaced. Instrument panel, replaced. Air conditioner, yah doesnt work cause it needs a condenser. Engine mounts, all replaced. Lastly, rebuilt a/t that cost around 3k and now vw tells me i need an air mass meter which is another 300.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality cars.

Solid and Reliable Vee Dub
By gettajetta

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The '96 GL was my second Jetta after I traded up my old one, an '86, with 200K miles. I bought this one used (returned from lease) with around 40K miles on it. I love the German engineering and absolute solid feel of this car. This one has 100K miles on it and is as tight as the day I bought it. Although no frills, it's peppy, good in inclimate weather, gets around 34 highway MPG, and is very dependable. Other than routine maintenance (brakes, exhaust, battery etc) I've put no money into this vehicle. If you're looking for a no nonsense safe solid car that's also stylish and fun to drive try a Jetta. This has been the best car I've owned.

Favorite Features

Overall feel and handling. Comfortable interior with plenty of leg and head room. FUN to drive - my wife loves it as well. I actually feel like part of the car when I'm driving. I have had zero maintenance issues with this car.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce road noise - tough to do in a compact car. Improve the door locks, the door lock froze on occasion (in severe cold) - after repeated use of de- icer, a spring in the lock corroded and broke.