1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Look at a Different Car
By Ashley on 01/26/06 14:42 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Volkswagen Jetta in April of 2005. Two days after I bought it, it started to make a horrible noise EVERY time I put it in reverse. The only time I put my car in reverse now is to get out of a parking spot. I have had constant problems with my Jetta since I bought it. I have had the check engine light on more then it has been off. I am now trying to sell it and buy a different car that I feel comfortable driving on the freeway. Right now I find myself using the backroads from get to place to place.

Very disappointed
By danb on 08/31/05 15:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta with 74,000 miles on it. Since then I added another 14,000 miles. I am very disappointed because I had too many problems with it: the exhaust system (had to replace basically the entire system), the brakes (extensive replacement), changed a trans axle, fixed the door moldings (epoxy is the solution – it bonds very well), a piece in the trunk lock broke, door locks freeze in the winter. One think to notice: parts are outrageously expensive. The good thing is that the car drives nicely and the manual transmission is great. I’ve heard great things about the cars made in Germany, but the ones made in Mexico and Canada do not live up to the hype.

96 Jetta
By Kay Threlkeld on 06/16/05 09:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

It has been an excellent car. Painted once it still looks like new. Had early problem with engine fan control but none since fixed.

I'll never buy a VW ever again!
By Lenny on 12/06/04 16:54 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new in 96, problems started almost right away w/ the moonroof (luckily, it's still under the 2-yr bumper to bumper warranty). In 5 yrs I owned the car & less than 40k mileage (not to mention that the car was serviced regularly), 3 out of 4 power windows were broken, continuous AC problems (mechanic couldn't figure it out), poor gas mileage & the latest, had smoke coming out from the steering wheel (again, mechanic couldn't find out what's wrong). Trade it w/ Toyota Corolla & couldn't be happier. Stay away from VW!!

Don't buy this car
By SG on 12/03/04 00:59 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Had car since 1998, so I I've given it a fair chance. The main problem with is the electrical. Only one window will go down, 2 don't work at all and 1 will go down 3-4 inches. Radio stopped working, sunroof quit, inside dash lights don't work and new fuses don't help. Often get this fried smell from some electrical part but goes away. Replaced: brakes (twice), starter, cooling system and fan burned out twice, outside molding won't stay on, alarm will go off for no reason. It's basically a green timebomb - I never know if I'll make it someplace.

Ugh. This car. Nightmare.
By Jaemoney on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

So, on the whole this car should be put in one. Cheap quality: I've noticed many of you Jetta drivers are also missing your side moldings. in the last year: Towed 3 times, the coil blew, alternator went, timing chain broke, distributer broke, wires replaced twice, muffler fell off, trunk-lock mechinism broke off, breather tube cracked, O2 sensor replaced twice, oil sender unit cracked, paint is coming off, plastic knobs in the interior are coming off, strange burning smell coming from the rear wheels (mechanic can't figure it out). Not a great car. Poorly assembeled, cheap materials. The electrical system is jumpy. Bulbs often blow and get me pulled over.

I love this car
By jetta for life on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for 5 years now and had not a single problem. I have done all the standard maintanence and had no problems. The car is very zippy and loves to be driven. The gas mileage is perfect to. I get just over 30 on the freway and about 27 in the city. The backseat is a little small perfect for kids, but this is about all. I love the huge trunk and that the back seats fold down.

Never Own a VW again
By Dean Mead on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

When I first purchased the car it was a nice performer, but I really didn't know that it would only last about 6 months. Now, it has been the worst car I have ever owned. There are too many mechanical issues to list. I used to own a Honda and I never had any problems with it, ever. I kept up on the maintance, as I do with my VW, and it ran for 250,000 miles. I have 130,000 miles on the VW and I am hoping that a deer jumps out in front of it. It isn't worth anything and I still owe a ton on it. I will never buy another VW again. Next purchase will be a Honda.

Find a different car...
By steadfastera on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Obviously i am typing this so that if anyone reads this about a 96 GLS jetta, just try and find another car. this car has given me so many problems that its not even cool anymore. First off 3/4 windows got replaced. Instrument panel, replaced. Air conditioner, yah doesnt work cause it needs a condenser. Engine mounts, all replaced. Lastly, rebuilt a/t that cost around 3k and now vw tells me i need an air mass meter which is another 300.

Solid and Reliable Vee Dub
By gettajetta on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The '96 GL was my second Jetta after I traded up my old one, an '86, with 200K miles. I bought this one used (returned from lease) with around 40K miles on it. I love the German engineering and absolute solid feel of this car. This one has 100K miles on it and is as tight as the day I bought it. Although no frills, it's peppy, good in inclimate weather, gets around 34 highway MPG, and is very dependable. Other than routine maintenance (brakes, exhaust, battery etc) I've put no money into this vehicle. If you're looking for a no nonsense safe solid car that's also stylish and fun to drive try a Jetta. This has been the best car I've owned.