Used 1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I'd never buy one again
By Elaina

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first vehicle. It was fun to drive, but, I'd never put a teenager behind this wheel. The biggest problem was that the car would just completely shut off while I was driving. I'd have to coast to the side of the road. Spent thousands trying to fix this problem, no shop could figure out what was wrong with it. Other not so major problems: check engine light- always on, a/c broke, radio system complete broke, the key would GET STUCK in the ignition-- no one in my family could get it out.. so I'd have to leave it unlocked sometimes, with the key in the ignition, and for a time, I had issues opening the trunk. Cute car, but so not worth it.

A good basic car
By Carly

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car, and so far most of the repairs are just routine maintenance. New tires, brake pads, and exhaust pipe welding. It leaks oil, but not very much. I think all the problems with my Jetta were neglect from the previous owner. It's a fun and peppy car that in my opinion, is cool looking. I have grown up around VW cars my whole life, so getting one was nice for me. Overall, I like my Jetta.

Favorite Features

The boxxy body, The nice transmission, and the interior is pretty nice too.

Suggested Improvements

This year of jetta cars was assembled in Mexico with German parts. I think they should have left the assembly to the Germans...

Best car ever owned or known anyone to
By Chris

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96 Jetta TREK new in May of 96 - 13 years later, still driving it. It is a GREAT car. Has never let my wife or me down - very reliable. As far as performance, it isn't a race car..but is quite peppy. The torque is amazing and the power curve suited well to the car. It isn't hard to go quick in this car with its wonderful handling. Car now has 211000 miles and no odd noises, vibrations, nothing. I have changed the oil every 3500 and wit each change run a can of SeaFoam thru the fuel also. Only repairs - replaced timing belt (for preventative), clutch, O2sensor. Not bad for 13 yrs and over 200k miles. This car is my best bud!

Favorite Features

Sporty looks, handling, sunroof, came free with the purchase of a TREK mountain bike =>

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders too small and placed in shifter way - maybe good while sitting..but not while driving.

The best I've had
By SHIREEN

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 98,000 miles on it. I had the timing belt replaced when I bought it. It was an oil leaker when I got it but had the valve cover gasket and new oil filler cap put on it. NO oil leaks or burning. I've owned Toyota and Nissan and Honda, but I love this car. It runs great and handles well. The mileage I'm not too sure of, but it passes smog with flying colors, and I live in california. The Germans built a car you can't lock your keys in. You must lock it from the outside with the key. Brilliant!! If you can find a good price on a 1996 jetta, buy it.

Favorite Features

Dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical problems seem to proliferate. There's got to be a better way.

Awful Car
By TreySplane

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the shop 10 times and died on the road 4 times. I have only owned this car for 7 months and I cannot wait till I get rid of this car and get something new and reliable. I will never buy another VW again because of my horrible luck with this one.

Favorite Features

Good looking. Good handling. Fast acceleration. Smooth ride. 5spd Manual is fun.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car so it can get from point A to point B because right now it doesn't do that very well