1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
My last VW
By BC1943 on 12/02/08 20:30 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Briefly and to the point. I have spent more in repairs over the years than the car cost me to buy($15000). If I had sold it at end of warranty period I would have been ok. Electrical gremlins were many and often returned within days of "fix".. I finally put black tape over the annoying light. Reliability is highest priority for me and VW has lost many good customers due to this issue. I still use the car for dump runs and local use but never for long distances.

NEVER AGAIN VW
By VW Hater on 08/17/08 19:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car because i REALLY wanted a Jetta. That was a mistake. The check engine light has been on basically ever since it was bought. Converter cover fell off, exhaust is going to fall off, AC doesn't work, passenger window, doesn't work, transmission sticks, car shakes horribly at stop lights, and trunk and doors leak in the rain. I never want a jetta again! Do not buy!

New to VW's
By Just Bought on 04/23/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Saw the car and fell in love with it! Has a few quirks, like speedometer doesn't work once and a while, check engine light comes on and goes off a lot. Hate the cup holders - too small and bad location, also no glove box, but plenty of storage pockets, huge truck compartment and so far runs good and 5 speed manual transmission works good and car handles well.

overall good car
By Cam on 03/25/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this vw about a year ago. ever since it has been very reliable, fuel efficient, and fun to drive. beings it's a jetta and ment to run hard i like to run it up to 4k then shift, which in turn gives me better mileage. I am very impressed with this vehicle and intend on getting a '01 1.8t in the future

Jetta Love
By kimberly on 02/16/08 21:22 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have never been let down by my Jetta. It is very good on gas and has no dents, does need paint job. Color is black and interior is beige and black.

Love it
By ktbird on 08/16/07 00:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Jetta about 4 years ago and I still love it. I don't think I can go back to a 4cyl ever again! This car is fast and fun to drive. Problems: side moldings (one fell off, the other one about to). Paint looks awful (but I live in So Cal desert), exterior molding on front windshield disintegrated. Blew a coil last year and now the heater core is kaput. Very expensive to fix. Cupholder is a joke. And my heavy foot doesn't help the already low MPG. Mostly it's just normal problems after 11 years. Plus I drive it hard. But depite this, I am deeply attached to her - I had a Honda before and nothing compares to the driving experience of the Jetta.

One of the Best Cars for a New Driver
By YSSMAN on 05/21/06 20:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I bought my Wolfsburg after my '93 VW Fox was taken away from me in a bad car accident. I ended up getting a really great deal on the car from a used VW dealer, for $1,500 less than book value. The car has been very reliable, and with about 150,000 miles on the clock as of today, only a few things need to get replaced. Its build quality is supurb, despite the fact that not all Jettas are known for it. Living in Michigan, the car goes great all summer and all winter, and going down the highway offers a pretty comfortable ride combined with exelent gas mileage (33 MPG between home and Chicago). I would recommend the Jetta to anyone looking for a first car, but of course, you have to have the money.

Very Reliable
By Craig on 04/28/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

]My Jetta has been very reliable and has lasted through a beating. It comes with a good warranty if things happen to go wrong. It could use more power, but is sufficent for everyday driving.

German Unreliability
By Brandon on 03/17/06 12:31 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

After a year of owning this car: the sunroof motor is blown ($300), the back passenger window regulator and motor is blown ($400), the ignition coil failed ($300), sunroof was leaking for awhile ($40 for new seal), and the alarm system arms everytime I got into the car and after 3 visits to the dealer. One month later, they hadn't a clue of what was wrong except that disabling the power locks stopped the problem ($500 for nothing!). So I have no power locks now either. The suspension squeaks over everything and half the interior panels rattle. The motor is still running pretty strong though. This should give you a clue of how reliable VW's are after a decade of use.

Best car I've ever owned
By Lee on 02/27/06 22:21 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I have nothing but high praise for my 1996 VW Jetta. 'Nothing but normal maintenance or repairs was ever needed on it, exhaust, tires, battery, etc., etc. For the first several years, it got a lot of miles, about 40,000 in year one and it had gone to 100,000 by year three. Its front brake pads had to be replaced at 93,000 miles for the first time and then pads, rotors, shoes and drums needed replacement at 131,000 miles although they were still legal. Now my Jetta needs some more repairs, but nothing unexpected. VWs like higher RPMs than Japanese cars so I've pretty much always driven it in the torquey sweet spot. I can't imagine the abuse others have given this fine car to have had such problems with it. I still have it and just bought my 10th VW. I'll still drive it 6,000 miles a year.