Used 1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Good, but
By uwe2

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I had my Jetta from May 1996 to February 2004. After the first 3 years, side moldings started to fall off ($$$ to replace at the dealership). So did the replacement ones, and the ones that replaced those. Catalytic converter oxygene sensor failed twice. Very cheap leather inside, wears off quickly. Dailight running lights go through bulbs every 2 years.

Favorite Features

Cheap ($21k I believe) for a German V6 car in 1996. Worked as long as it worked.

Suggested Improvements

Good for the first 3-4 years, then issues start. No German quality engineering here!

The BEST Used car I have EVER owned
By dreamcatcher7

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever had the pleasure of owning, when this Jetta dies, Ill be looking for another. I love the excellent gas mileage, I love the interior, the comfortable seating, the AWESOME stereo, the body is superior. I just cant find a down side to this great little car. It was bought by my son to resell and make a few dollars, but n the way home I was so impressed by it (2 hour drive) that he let me buy it for what he bought it for. I LOVE my new car, has 153,00 when we purchased it, 1 week later it has 156,000 and still going. No issues, no burning oil, no leaks, just awesome car, Thanks Volkswagen.

Favorite Features

My favorites are quality of stereo, interior, handling, color, trunk size, okay, I LOVE the whole car.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I can see is better paint quality.

Might be my last Volkswagen
By akillen

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This is the 4th Volkswagen I've owned. Be very careful who you have service a Volkswagen. They are different from most other cars and you can't take them to just any old mechanic. Other than that, learn how to work on it yourself or you will be very disappointed and/or broke. In the 4 years and 40,000 miles I've owned mine I've replaced the starter twice (do not get a rebuilt starter!), valve cover gasket, oil cooler O-ring, complete exhaust system, coil pack, two window regulators, a light in the instrument cluster and other regular maintenance stuff. On the other hand, the interior is very comfortable. Climate control works great and it is fun to drive. Good MPG (have had up to 40 highway)

great car!!!!!
By Mark

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car approx 10 years ago. Over the years, overall has been a fantastic car for me. I am able to do all work myslef, ample space in engine compartment to do work, has only been towed 1 time. I have replaced water pump, timing belt, and misc items, but nothing too huge. This car has 260,000 miles on it and still going strong. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

humongous trunk, adjustable seats up and down and back and forth.

Suggested Improvements

glove compartment?

Jettas handle well
By Geoffrey

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have put approximately 97,000 miles on this car, and the major complaint I have is having the clutch replaced three times in the six years I have owned the car. I have used aftermarket parts, so perhaps that is why the clutch has been replaced. The Jettas don't have the ugly and bland styling of Japanese cars, but I would say they are not quite as reliable, although parts (after market) are as cheap. The gas milage is great, it starts even on the coldest of MN winters. I keep it well maintained, and use synthetic motor oil. If you go to a regular parts store, and not a dealer, the parts are not that expensive. The ignition coil, for example, was $60.00 at Napa.

Favorite Features

Great handling, fun to drive, good gas milage. Styling not as unimaginative as Japanese.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, check engine light goes on and off.