1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good, but
By uwe2 on 02/06/12 08:10 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I had my Jetta from May 1996 to February 2004. After the first 3 years, side moldings started to fall off ($$$ to replace at the dealership). So did the replacement ones, and the ones that replaced those. Catalytic converter oxygene sensor failed twice. Very cheap leather inside, wears off quickly. Dailight running lights go through bulbs every 2 years.

The BEST Used car I have EVER owned
By dreamcatcher7 on 05/29/11 21:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever had the pleasure of owning, when this Jetta dies, Ill be looking for another. I love the excellent gas mileage, I love the interior, the comfortable seating, the AWESOME stereo, the body is superior. I just cant find a down side to this great little car. It was bought by my son to resell and make a few dollars, but n the way home I was so impressed by it (2 hour drive) that he let me buy it for what he bought it for. I LOVE my new car, has 153,00 when we purchased it, 1 week later it has 156,000 and still going. No issues, no burning oil, no leaks, just awesome car, Thanks Volkswagen.

Might be my last Volkswagen
By akillen on 12/23/10 09:05 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This is the 4th Volkswagen I've owned. Be very careful who you have service a Volkswagen. They are different from most other cars and you can't take them to just any old mechanic. Other than that, learn how to work on it yourself or you will be very disappointed and/or broke. In the 4 years and 40,000 miles I've owned mine I've replaced the starter twice (do not get a rebuilt starter!), valve cover gasket, oil cooler O-ring, complete exhaust system, coil pack, two window regulators, a light in the instrument cluster and other regular maintenance stuff. On the other hand, the interior is very comfortable. Climate control works great and it is fun to drive. Good MPG (have had up to 40 highway)

great car!!!!!
By Mark on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car approx 10 years ago. Over the years, overall has been a fantastic car for me. I am able to do all work myslef, ample space in engine compartment to do work, has only been towed 1 time. I have replaced water pump, timing belt, and misc items, but nothing too huge. This car has 260,000 miles on it and still going strong. I would buy another one.

Jettas handle well
By Geoffrey on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have put approximately 97,000 miles on this car, and the major complaint I have is having the clutch replaced three times in the six years I have owned the car. I have used aftermarket parts, so perhaps that is why the clutch has been replaced. The Jettas don't have the ugly and bland styling of Japanese cars, but I would say they are not quite as reliable, although parts (after market) are as cheap. The gas milage is great, it starts even on the coldest of MN winters. I keep it well maintained, and use synthetic motor oil. If you go to a regular parts store, and not a dealer, the parts are not that expensive. The ignition coil, for example, was $60.00 at Napa.

I'd never buy one again
By Elaina on 02/20/10 18:30 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first vehicle. It was fun to drive, but, I'd never put a teenager behind this wheel. The biggest problem was that the car would just completely shut off while I was driving. I'd have to coast to the side of the road. Spent thousands trying to fix this problem, no shop could figure out what was wrong with it. Other not so major problems: check engine light- always on, a/c broke, radio system complete broke, the key would GET STUCK in the ignition-- no one in my family could get it out.. so I'd have to leave it unlocked sometimes, with the key in the ignition, and for a time, I had issues opening the trunk. Cute car, but so not worth it.

A good basic car
By Carly on 08/03/09 08:29 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car, and so far most of the repairs are just routine maintenance. New tires, brake pads, and exhaust pipe welding. It leaks oil, but not very much. I think all the problems with my Jetta were neglect from the previous owner. It's a fun and peppy car that in my opinion, is cool looking. I have grown up around VW cars my whole life, so getting one was nice for me. Overall, I like my Jetta.

Best car ever owned or known anyone to
By Chris on 05/21/09 18:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96 Jetta TREK new in May of 96 - 13 years later, still driving it. It is a GREAT car. Has never let my wife or me down - very reliable. As far as performance, it isn't a race car..but is quite peppy. The torque is amazing and the power curve suited well to the car. It isn't hard to go quick in this car with its wonderful handling. Car now has 211000 miles and no odd noises, vibrations, nothing. I have changed the oil every 3500 and wit each change run a can of SeaFoam thru the fuel also. Only repairs - replaced timing belt (for preventative), clutch, O2sensor. Not bad for 13 yrs and over 200k miles. This car is my best bud!

The best I've had
By SHIREEN on 04/07/09 22:56 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 98,000 miles on it. I had the timing belt replaced when I bought it. It was an oil leaker when I got it but had the valve cover gasket and new oil filler cap put on it. NO oil leaks or burning. I've owned Toyota and Nissan and Honda, but I love this car. It runs great and handles well. The mileage I'm not too sure of, but it passes smog with flying colors, and I live in california. The Germans built a car you can't lock your keys in. You must lock it from the outside with the key. Brilliant!! If you can find a good price on a 1996 jetta, buy it.

Awful Car
By TreySplane on 01/30/09 17:02 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek Limited Edition 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the shop 10 times and died on the road 4 times. I have only owned this car for 7 months and I cannot wait till I get rid of this car and get something new and reliable. I will never buy another VW again because of my horrible luck with this one.