Used 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1996 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Good, but
By uwe2

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I had my Jetta from May 1996 to February 2004. After the first 3 years, side moldings started to fall off ($$$ to replace at the dealership). So did the replacement ones, and the ones that replaced those. Catalytic converter oxygene sensor failed twice. Very cheap leather inside, wears off quickly. Dailight running lights go through bulbs every 2 years.

Cheap ($21k I believe) for a German V6 car in 1996. Worked as long as it worked.

Good for the first 3-4 years, then issues start. No German quality engineering here!

My last VW
By BC1943

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Briefly and to the point. I have spent more in repairs over the years than the car cost me to buy($15000). If I had sold it at end of warranty period I would have been ok. Electrical gremlins were many and often returned within days of "fix".. I finally put black tape over the annoying light. Reliability is highest priority for me and VW has lost many good customers due to this issue. I still use the car for dump runs and local use but never for long distances.

VR6 engine is excellent and burns no oil between changes(5000 miles synthetic) even after 150000 miles.

Made in Germany is your best choice for reliability!!

Love it
By ktbird

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Jetta about 4 years ago and I still love it. I don't think I can go back to a 4cyl ever again! This car is fast and fun to drive. Problems: side moldings (one fell off, the other one about to). Paint looks awful (but I live in So Cal desert), exterior molding on front windshield disintegrated. Blew a coil last year and now the heater core is kaput. Very expensive to fix. Cupholder is a joke. And my heavy foot doesn't help the already low MPG. Mostly it's just normal problems after 11 years. Plus I drive it hard. But depite this, I am deeply attached to her - I had a Honda before and nothing compares to the driving experience of the Jetta.

Huge trunk, comfy seats, fast, handles well, looks cute, dependable, fun, 6-disk CD changer, 134k miles and still running smooth.

Crappy exterior door moldings. Cupholder good for holding change. Instead, I put cup b/w e-brake and passenger seat. Bad MPG (maybe it's just me)!

love it
By Hansmacher

NO real problems at 120k. Love the
way it drives.

fun to drive, great trunk space,

cup holders, glovebox, more horsepower...

SWEET CAR!
By Jimmy2

I bought my Jetta with only 60k on it
now has 170000! I Dirve my car VERY
hard. and beat it. only thing that has
really been a prob. is the fact that
the trans has a cable shifter and
after this many miles numb dosent
exactly describe it.. other than that
I love the car still just as fast as
the day I bought it!

looks utilty of a family car but performance of a sprots car