1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good, but
By uwe2 on 02/06/12 08:10 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I had my Jetta from May 1996 to February 2004. After the first 3 years, side moldings started to fall off ($$$ to replace at the dealership). So did the replacement ones, and the ones that replaced those. Catalytic converter oxygene sensor failed twice. Very cheap leather inside, wears off quickly. Dailight running lights go through bulbs every 2 years.

My last VW
By BC1943 on 12/02/08 20:30 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Briefly and to the point. I have spent more in repairs over the years than the car cost me to buy($15000). If I had sold it at end of warranty period I would have been ok. Electrical gremlins were many and often returned within days of "fix".. I finally put black tape over the annoying light. Reliability is highest priority for me and VW has lost many good customers due to this issue. I still use the car for dump runs and local use but never for long distances.

Love it
By ktbird on 08/16/07 00:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Jetta about 4 years ago and I still love it. I don't think I can go back to a 4cyl ever again! This car is fast and fun to drive. Problems: side moldings (one fell off, the other one about to). Paint looks awful (but I live in So Cal desert), exterior molding on front windshield disintegrated. Blew a coil last year and now the heater core is kaput. Very expensive to fix. Cupholder is a joke. And my heavy foot doesn't help the already low MPG. Mostly it's just normal problems after 11 years. Plus I drive it hard. But depite this, I am deeply attached to her - I had a Honda before and nothing compares to the driving experience of the Jetta.

love it
By Hansmacher on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

NO real problems at 120k. Love the way it drives.

SWEET CAR!
By Jimmy2 on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta with only 60k on it now has 170000! I Dirve my car VERY hard. and beat it. only thing that has really been a prob. is the fact that the trans has a cable shifter and after this many miles numb dosent exactly describe it.. other than that I love the car still just as fast as the day I bought it!

1st Name Basis with my Mechanic
By edtoys4kids on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Bought used in 1998 at 36k. A real love/hate relationship. Problems: O2 sensor, Check Engine Light, Electrical Components, Exterior Trim, and Lock Cylinders. Now a new trans at 83k miles. Our extended warranty has paid for itself and is earning money. The car requires NAME BRAND premium gas from stations like Shell, Mobil, & Chevron and not less expensive places like Citgo, Freestate, Costco. Since following mechanic's advice I've not seen the check engine light. Good: Major headaches aside, I really like this car. Comfortable on long distance trips, even with children. It's comfortable, looks cool, and handles well in bad weather.

Best car ever
By og will on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

What a great car

little things
By jlackn01 on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive with lots of pick up. Handling is superb. Lots of little problems that cause big heartache. Electronic system is terrible with things constantly going wrong. 3 of 4 power windows have been repaired, ABS problem, coilpack arcing, exterior molding prone to problems, falling off trim, molding, emblems, faulty AC line pump.

Jetta
By Tina5 on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

smooth drive, pick up is good, breaks a little slow.

Everyone should buy a Jetta
By I LOVE MY JEttA on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX/VR6 in February 2001. It was 5 years old with 46,000 miles. I have had it for one year and I have had no problems with it. There are 60,000 miles on it and I plan to drive another 60,000.