Used 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1996 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Might be my last Volkswagen
By akillen

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is the 4th Volkswagen I've owned. Be very careful who you have service a Volkswagen. They are different from most other cars and you can't take them to just any old mechanic. Other than that, learn how to work on it yourself or you will be very disappointed and/or broke. In the 4 years and 40,000 miles I've owned mine I've replaced the starter twice (do not get a rebuilt starter!), valve cover gasket, oil cooler O-ring, complete exhaust system, coil pack, two window regulators, a light in the instrument cluster and other regular maintenance stuff. On the other hand, the interior is very comfortable. Climate control works great and it is fun to drive. Good MPG (have had up to 40 highway)

The best I've had
By SHIREEN

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 98,000 miles on it. I had the timing belt replaced when I bought it. It was an oil leaker when I got it but had the valve cover gasket and new oil filler cap put on it. NO oil leaks or burning. I've owned Toyota and Nissan and Honda, but I love this car. It runs great and handles well. The mileage I'm not too sure of, but it passes smog with flying colors, and I live in california. The Germans built a car you can't lock your keys in. You must lock it from the outside with the key. Brilliant!! If you can find a good price on a 1996 jetta, buy it.

Favorite Features

Dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical problems seem to proliferate. There's got to be a better way.

NEVER AGAIN VW
By VW Hater

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car because i REALLY wanted a Jetta. That was a mistake. The check engine light has been on basically ever since it was bought. Converter cover fell off, exhaust is going to fall off, AC doesn't work, passenger window, doesn't work, transmission sticks, car shakes horribly at stop lights, and trunk and doors leak in the rain. I never want a jetta again! Do not buy!

Favorite Features

Seats are comfy, roomy, and one touch windows.

Suggested Improvements

Almost everything, but why suggest anything on a 13 year old car. Its pointless

New to VW's
By Just Bought

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Saw the car and fell in love with it! Has a few quirks, like speedometer doesn't work once and a while, check engine light comes on and goes off a lot. Hate the cup holders - too small and bad location, also no glove box, but plenty of storage pockets, huge truck compartment and so far runs good and 5 speed manual transmission works good and car handles well.

Favorite Features

Huge trunk and alarm system.

Jetta Love
By kimberly

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have never been let down by my Jetta. It is very good on gas and has no dents, does need paint job. Color is black and interior is beige and black.

Favorite Features

Reliable and sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Paint job.