1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Might be my last Volkswagen
By akillen on 12/23/10 09:05 AM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is the 4th Volkswagen I've owned. Be very careful who you have service a Volkswagen. They are different from most other cars and you can't take them to just any old mechanic. Other than that, learn how to work on it yourself or you will be very disappointed and/or broke. In the 4 years and 40,000 miles I've owned mine I've replaced the starter twice (do not get a rebuilt starter!), valve cover gasket, oil cooler O-ring, complete exhaust system, coil pack, two window regulators, a light in the instrument cluster and other regular maintenance stuff. On the other hand, the interior is very comfortable. Climate control works great and it is fun to drive. Good MPG (have had up to 40 highway)

The best I've had
By SHIREEN on 04/07/09 22:56 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 98,000 miles on it. I had the timing belt replaced when I bought it. It was an oil leaker when I got it but had the valve cover gasket and new oil filler cap put on it. NO oil leaks or burning. I've owned Toyota and Nissan and Honda, but I love this car. It runs great and handles well. The mileage I'm not too sure of, but it passes smog with flying colors, and I live in california. The Germans built a car you can't lock your keys in. You must lock it from the outside with the key. Brilliant!! If you can find a good price on a 1996 jetta, buy it.

NEVER AGAIN VW
By VW Hater on 08/17/08 19:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I got this as my first car because i REALLY wanted a Jetta. That was a mistake. The check engine light has been on basically ever since it was bought. Converter cover fell off, exhaust is going to fall off, AC doesn't work, passenger window, doesn't work, transmission sticks, car shakes horribly at stop lights, and trunk and doors leak in the rain. I never want a jetta again! Do not buy!

New to VW's
By Just Bought on 04/23/08 10:18 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Saw the car and fell in love with it! Has a few quirks, like speedometer doesn't work once and a while, check engine light comes on and goes off a lot. Hate the cup holders - too small and bad location, also no glove box, but plenty of storage pockets, huge truck compartment and so far runs good and 5 speed manual transmission works good and car handles well.

Jetta Love
By kimberly on 02/16/08 21:22 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have never been let down by my Jetta. It is very good on gas and has no dents, does need paint job. Color is black and interior is beige and black.

German Unreliability
By Brandon on 03/17/06 12:31 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

After a year of owning this car: the sunroof motor is blown ($300), the back passenger window regulator and motor is blown ($400), the ignition coil failed ($300), sunroof was leaking for awhile ($40 for new seal), and the alarm system arms everytime I got into the car and after 3 visits to the dealer. One month later, they hadn't a clue of what was wrong except that disabling the power locks stopped the problem ($500 for nothing!). So I have no power locks now either. The suspension squeaks over everything and half the interior panels rattle. The motor is still running pretty strong though. This should give you a clue of how reliable VW's are after a decade of use.

Look at a Different Car
By Ashley on 01/26/06 14:42 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Volkswagen Jetta in April of 2005. Two days after I bought it, it started to make a horrible noise EVERY time I put it in reverse. The only time I put my car in reverse now is to get out of a parking spot. I have had constant problems with my Jetta since I bought it. I have had the check engine light on more then it has been off. I am now trying to sell it and buy a different car that I feel comfortable driving on the freeway. Right now I find myself using the backroads from get to place to place.

I'll never buy a VW ever again!
By Lenny on 12/06/04 16:54 PM (PST)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new in 96, problems started almost right away w/ the moonroof (luckily, it's still under the 2-yr bumper to bumper warranty). In 5 yrs I owned the car & less than 40k mileage (not to mention that the car was serviced regularly), 3 out of 4 power windows were broken, continuous AC problems (mechanic couldn't figure it out), poor gas mileage & the latest, had smoke coming out from the steering wheel (again, mechanic couldn't find out what's wrong). Trade it w/ Toyota Corolla & couldn't be happier. Stay away from VW!!

I love this car
By jetta for life on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for 5 years now and had not a single problem. I have done all the standard maintanence and had no problems. The car is very zippy and loves to be driven. The gas mileage is perfect to. I get just over 30 on the freway and about 27 in the city. The backseat is a little small perfect for kids, but this is about all. I love the huge trunk and that the back seats fold down.

Find a different car...
By steadfastera on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Obviously i am typing this so that if anyone reads this about a 96 GLS jetta, just try and find another car. this car has given me so many problems that its not even cool anymore. First off 3/4 windows got replaced. Instrument panel, replaced. Air conditioner, yah doesnt work cause it needs a condenser. Engine mounts, all replaced. Lastly, rebuilt a/t that cost around 3k and now vw tells me i need an air mass meter which is another 300.