Used 1996 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1996 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
The BEST Used car I have EVER owned
By dreamcatcher7

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever had the pleasure of owning, when this Jetta dies, Ill be looking for another. I love the excellent gas mileage, I love the interior, the comfortable seating, the AWESOME stereo, the body is superior. I just cant find a down side to this great little car. It was bought by my son to resell and make a few dollars, but n the way home I was so impressed by it (2 hour drive) that he let me buy it for what he bought it for. I LOVE my new car, has 153,00 when we purchased it, 1 week later it has 156,000 and still going. No issues, no burning oil, no leaks, just awesome car, Thanks Volkswagen.

Favorite Features

My favorites are quality of stereo, interior, handling, color, trunk size, okay, I LOVE the whole car.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I can see is better paint quality.

Goodbye VW
By Dukes

1996 Volkswagen Jetta TDi 4dr Sedan

Bought this car back in 2000 with 56K kms based on "good reviews" from CR and thinking this car would retain value.... Paid 16K (can), now worth 6K. Mostly mechanical problems such as bearings (x2), water pump (x2), crappy exhaust & suspension, AC repairs (x3). (~5K of repairs) Not at all the reliable vehicle it was made out to be. I will never again buy VW.

Favorite Features

Solid feel to the car, handling and huge trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior trim is brutal. Duct tape holds better than the crappy double sided tape put on the first place! Cup holder can barely hold a mouthwash cup....

Good, but
By uwe2

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I had my Jetta from May 1996 to February 2004. After the first 3 years, side moldings started to fall off ($$$ to replace at the dealership). So did the replacement ones, and the ones that replaced those. Catalytic converter oxygene sensor failed twice. Very cheap leather inside, wears off quickly. Dailight running lights go through bulbs every 2 years.

Favorite Features

Cheap ($21k I believe) for a German V6 car in 1996. Worked as long as it worked.

Suggested Improvements

Good for the first 3-4 years, then issues start. No German quality engineering here!

great car!!!!!
By Mark

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car approx 10 years ago. Over the years, overall has been a fantastic car for me. I am able to do all work myslef, ample space in engine compartment to do work, has only been towed 1 time. I have replaced water pump, timing belt, and misc items, but nothing too huge. This car has 260,000 miles on it and still going strong. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

humongous trunk, adjustable seats up and down and back and forth.

Suggested Improvements

glove compartment?

Might be my last Volkswagen
By akillen

1996 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is the 4th Volkswagen I've owned. Be very careful who you have service a Volkswagen. They are different from most other cars and you can't take them to just any old mechanic. Other than that, learn how to work on it yourself or you will be very disappointed and/or broke. In the 4 years and 40,000 miles I've owned mine I've replaced the starter twice (do not get a rebuilt starter!), valve cover gasket, oil cooler O-ring, complete exhaust system, coil pack, two window regulators, a light in the instrument cluster and other regular maintenance stuff. On the other hand, the interior is very comfortable. Climate control works great and it is fun to drive. Good MPG (have had up to 40 highway)