1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Worst car ever built
By JohnK on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Volkswagon quality really went out the window for this car. Trunk leaks, burns oil very quickly, sunroof comes off track, paint faded unevenly (VW did pay for a repaint but only after dozens of call and complaints), both driver and passenger key lock mechanisms have been replaced, new chip replaced very reluctantly by VW 1 month after owning it(only after threatening to VW that I wanted my money back). Interior electrical has been a problem since day one and finally found out that it was a design issue but would cost me to fix. I have been able to get certain VW sales reps to talk about the cars off th record confirming certain VW products as JUNK...high end products are the total opposite.

DON'T buy this car
By pakelly on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Problems from day 1 with auto transmission (computer chip), which eventually needed a total replacing at 52K, window crank broke after 3 month's ownership, timing belt went prematurely (53K), suspension is as stiff as a board, lots of torque steer, brakes and struts needed replacing at every 30K, was beginning to have electrical problems at 60K. Was in the shop every 4 to 6 weeks beginning at 52K. NOT ALL problems mentioned above were covered by the 10/100 warranty. Got rid of it at 60K and bought Japanese. See many of these cars in used car lots (new car and mom and pop) - RED FLAG.

I love my VW
By meowsuz on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for a little over 4 years now and absoutely love it. I know many people who have bought new VW's and I still want to keep my 1995 model. It has had little or no problems and handles well. It is still running strong with 120,000 miles on it.

VW
By jent on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive. Gets respect on the road.

Good Little Car
By chappelj on 02/28/02 14:28 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The car has zip, is good on gas, and seems to be overly reliable. The craftmanship is not of the best quality. The driver's side door lock fell out onto the ground when I inserted the key about one month after I purchased the vehicle. Also, the car door moldings have started to fall off, car alarm doesn't always activate when doors are locked, and dashlights flicker on and off. Other than these few minor problems I am satisfied with the vehicle and think it was a wise first car purchase.

Jetta refuses to "get old"
By oskeptic on 02/27/02 09:12 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had my Jetta GL since it was new, and it simply isn't wearing out. The interior is perfect, seats are still super-comfortable for 15-hour drives (I've done plenty), the engine shows no signs of slowing, and 2nd gear still gives that wonderful whoosh of acceleration. I have kept track of gas mileage for the lifetime of the car (2.0L 4cyl engine), and it averages out to about 29mpg.

Only a month, but I love it
By se7en on 02/26/02 14:07 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've had my Jetta for about a month now. It's a 1995 GLX VR6 and I'm very happy with it. If I'm allowed to update this in the future, I'll tell you how its working out. So far, so good tho.