Used 1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Gotta Love those VWs
By wedgie

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan City 4dr Sedan

On my 4th VW now, will NEVER own anything else! My 1995 Jetta is still getting 30 mpg city and as high as 45 hwy, can't get a new car that'll give you that, and it's not even a diesel. Our diesel does better than that. I am passing my 1995 and 1990 VWs onto my teenagers.

Favorite Features

Great gas milage, and hey, it's a VW, do you need more than that?

Suggested Improvements

Needs better cup holders

189K and still running strong
By KeisertheJetta

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Love this car...got it at 65K miles in 1998 and have never had any issues! I've never replaced the clutch! Who needs an SUV? Its spacious enough to fit 2 passengers, a 90 lb. dog in back, and tons in trunk (including oversized stuff--huge suitcases, vacuum cleaners, etc.). Seats fold down to fit skis and mountain bike. Great on gas! Fun to drive. I've never been stranded and always feel safe. What a bargain! Cloth seats are very durable. I was told there is no "tune-up" for this car, just remember to change the oil and it'll be reliable. They couldn't have been more right. Starts right up in cold weather. VWs are the best! I will buy another!

Favorite Features

Reliability. Great gas mileage. Trunk size. Moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

A glove compartment, better side moldings, better cup holders.

250,000 miles
By Rudolfo L'Aspari

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

After 250,000 miles I have finally decided to donate her to a worthy cause. Not a bad run. I bought her brand new in college and it was my first new car. I got every penny's worth out of my $14,000! Never had any major mechanical failure..... the starter went once and the distributor got water in it once and had to be replaced. Other than that, I just brought it in according to the maintenance manual and she gave me 250,000 miles. She done good.

Favorite Features

You can manually set the delay on the intermittent wipers...... you set the timer and press it again whenever you want, and that's the delay time. Genius! No other car does it like that :)

Suggested Improvements

Better front seats.

130,000 miles and still going
By GC

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Celebration 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 1999. Was missing one of the "Celebration Edition" emblems on the passenger side exterior before I test drove it. By the time the test drive was over, the remaining emblem on the drivers side fell off. So what makes it a Celebration Edition? Nothing special about this car. Only features - sunroof, (who cares? I live in Pittsburgh. Get 50 days of sun a year) and an alarm. Thank God it's a 5-speed because that makes up for anything that's missing. 130,000 miles, still have the original clutch. Needed a new starter at 125,000 miles...Ran over a BIG deer on the road, hardly a scratch. Only damage was to the power steering pump. More fun to drive than my wife's Ford Focus wagon.

Favorite Features

5 speed tranny. not bad power for a 4 cylinder. Not bad gas mileage. Still runs about as good as the day I bought it.

Suggested Improvements

After lots of mileage, noticed lots of various rattles throughout the interior and exterior. The tilt wheel moves about an 1/8". No trunk light makes it difficult to find anything when unloading at night. No headlight reminder (chimes). My battery has died twice as a result.

Leaves much to be desired
By zjvineyard

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted a VW. I finally got it and it leaves much to be desired. The engines are GREAT and will go forever but, but the time you hit 150,000 your windows won't work, you will have no door locks, and your doors won't close. I have replaced drivers side front and rear window motors twice. I have replaced my drivers side lock and latch twice and its only been 3 years!!!! Lot's of electrical maintenance. If you get this car, get the GL model where everything is manual!!!!!

Favorite Features

CUTE CUTE car. Heated Seats!!

Suggested Improvements

Warranty of more than 6 months on the window regulators!! Glad they finally figured out how to put in a glove box with passenger side air bags.