Used 1995 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1995 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

95 Jetta GLX VR6
By Roscoe

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

First of all I'll start off by saying this is my 3rd VW, having owned a 2004 Jetta and a 2000 GTi Vr6, and it is still my favorite by far. If you are into the Euro car modding scene this is a great platform. It has timeless styling, great potential, and from a Automotive Technician's standpoint faily simple to work on especially for a VW.

Favorite Features

I couldn't pinpoint a specific feature. The car overall is a very solid car. Great for a first car or a tuning veteran.

Suggested Improvements

The only problems I've had (which I was aware of when I purchased it) were putting a new heater core in, new CV axles, and some cosmetic work. All that can be expected from a car with such miles as mine has.

Jetta.
By Jacob Burrows

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Celebration 4dr Sedan

Car is a lot of fun to drive. It has it's share of problems just like any other 14 year old car. I love it.

Favorite Features

Trunk,Central Locking, Steering, Manual windows.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger Transmission, 5 lug vs. 4 lug. 16v vs. 8v motor, better cup holders, glovebox.

120K - very reliable and running strong!
By Enginerd

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Live in LA, bought w/110K on it for $3K. Now, 1-1/2year later, it has 120k. Had a 528i at the time of purchase, but Jetta is a lot easier to park along the curb. Handling is very nice ("poor man's bimmer"), although I miss the RWD. Turns on a dime. The acceleration is good enough to leave 90% of cars behind from a stop (just keep RPM around 3-4k). It lacks in creature comforts (no CC, leather, glove box, power seats or windows) and it has rattles, noisy on the freeway. However, the lack of power features makes it VERY dependable (with routine maintenance). Sold my bimmer b/c of electrical issues, but Jetta GL is so reliable I'm afraid to buy another car! A great deal for the money!

Favorite Features

Turning radius, fuel economy, acceleration, reliability. It sure beats 95 civics and corollas for interior quality, peppiness and road feel! And for the price, the only better bargain is 95 525i, if you don't mind the added dimensions.

Suggested Improvements

Freeway noise levels, acceleration. Glove box. Trunk is large but I wish they made a wagon in 95. Sadly, will probably sell it soon for a nice turbo wagon.

expensive repairs
By east coast grrl

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car to drive, but expensive to repair. I bought it from a friend who bought it new; it sat through a New England winter without being driven & took a real beating from it! I now live on the West Coast, & feel that because of the expensive repairs (over 3K on new clutch, timing wheel & belt, ball bearings, rotors, brake pads, muffler, fuel line, air filter) this would be a better car to buy on the West Coast. Be sure to take ANY Volkswagen/Audi to a mechanic who specializes in German cars. Being familiar with only Japanese & American cars, some egotistical mechanics made matters worse for me by messing with the electrical wiring.

Favorite Features

speaker system has held up well, still good gas mileage (average 28 mpg), very solid & "safe feeling"

Suggested Improvements

The interior design is awkward- especially the cup holder; this has since been improved in the Jetta.

"The little engine that could"
By Jared

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Man what a car. This was my first car and I absolutely loved it. The car always started up for me, never had any problems, was great on gas which is really important these days. Sadly I no longer have this car due to an accident, I wish i still had that car today. I bought it with 198,000 miles but the engine actually had 112,000, this car had the digital odometers so u couldn't change the mileage. It was an automatic, which I really didn't mind, it kept me alive when i was in the accident. I was late for work and it just started raining, i was going 45 mph down hill, i was going to fast for the turn and i ended up totaling the car and i actually went to work an hour later, without a scratch!!!

Favorite Features

THE ENGINE THE ENGINE THE ENGINE, awesome 2.0 liter 4 banger, pretty peppy for a 4 cylinder too, i think it got 115 hp which was pretty good on gas. I'm a big guy and the space is amazing, i never thought i would be so comfortable in a small car like that. I averaged about 25-27,city 32-35 highway!!

Suggested Improvements

I never experienced any electrical problems, but i figured that vw are prone to electrical probs from other vw owners, but if you want a great car thats cheap on gas and fun to drive, get one of these, you won't regret it.