Used 1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

95 Jetta GLX VR6
By Roscoe

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

First of all I'll start off by saying this is my 3rd VW, having owned a 2004 Jetta and a 2000 GTi Vr6, and it is still my favorite by far. If you are into the Euro car modding scene this is a great platform. It has timeless styling, great potential, and from a Automotive Technician's standpoint faily simple to work on especially for a VW.

Favorite Features

I couldn't pinpoint a specific feature. The car overall is a very solid car. Great for a first car or a tuning veteran.

Suggested Improvements

The only problems I've had (which I was aware of when I purchased it) were putting a new heater core in, new CV axles, and some cosmetic work. All that can be expected from a car with such miles as mine has.

best car by far
By Phil D

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

The GLX VR6 has great acceleration, roomy for its size, handles great in rain and snow. It was very hard to lose control on the snow ( and I was trying ). Not so good for a family car but I can fit 2 car seats in the back comfortably. This car is an all around tank, I put this car through some crazy situations and it always comes out on top. Pricey to maintain but well worth every penny. I cant wait to buy my next VW. Oh I almost forgot....the 95 GLX VR6 was not built to be sold in America so everything is special order, I found out the hard way.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, heated leather seats, auto down windows, great engine, built to last

Suggested Improvements

needs a glove box, side molding is garbage, I suggest ripping off and smoothing out doors.

VW number 10
By VistaRob

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about two months ago and have put about six thousand miles on it already. The engine has a great power down low and up top. My average mpg is 24 but can get up to 28 on the highway and down to 17 city. The interior has all the bells and whistles you would see on a car today auto down windows all around, and can open and close them by holding the key. The quality of the interior is excellent leather is firm, no rattles and is very solid just what you would expect from a German car. The trunk is HUGE!!! and would make a good Mafia car. Like is said this is my tenth vw, all great cars just use good parts and maintain it.

Favorite Features

The feel inside feels high end and luxury fit and finish are very high on these cars. I love the auto down feature on the windows too along with the fact I can roll the windows up or down with my key. The VR6 sounds like a mini exotic where its competitors sound raspy.

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable steering wheel could move more than 1/2 an inch and a glove box would be nice though there is a lot of cargo area. You can fit a later style glove box into a 95 but other than that excellent car by an outstanding company

160,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By Paul C

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased it new in May 1995. It has been running strong and has been a reliable car for me. It has had some electrical problems. One issue that was of concern is VW's reputation with faulty heater cores. I had to replace mine twice within a two year span (2000-2). It was done under warranty (after some complaining). My instrument panel is starting to have some issues (speed/tachometer) and is not working periodically. I am not sure if it is associated with the moisture from two faulty heater cores getting behind the dash. Overall the engine has been great and my mechanic says that I should get another 40,000 miles with no problem. It's become a great commuter car, work/home/school. Its gas mileage has been averaging 25-27 mpg.

Favorite Features

The engine! It has been solid and has great power. The 5-speed has quick acceleration. The leather is still nice. It gets good gas mileage for a 6-cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the electrical system (power windows, heated seats, instrument panel) and heater core dependability.

Wonderful Old Friend
By floppymoose

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've owned it since it was new, and now it has 140,000 miles on it. The original clutch lasted 120,000 miles. It's had some problems (mostly electrical and fuel pump) but the motor and transmission have been rock solid. There are a lot of great things about this car. It has an amazingly small turning radius - I u-turn with ease at any intersection, even small ones. It is very very large on the inside (I'm 6'3" and don't have to put the seat all the way back) and very very small on the outside. You can think the boxy shaped for that - boxy is extremely space efficient. You can fit a large box (like the kind 23" monitors from Apple used to come in) through the trunk opening, and completely in. I could go on and on.

Favorite Features

I like the snappy performance from the VR6 engine, lots of interior space, small size for parking, big trunk, nice leather, how the console does not hit my knee, how it handles great (ignore the car mags - they were put off by body lean, but lean is not the same as poor handling), and the rock solid drivetrain.

Suggested Improvements

The new ones came with terrible Goodyear Eagles. Ditch 'em for some Dunlop SP30's.