1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
95 Jetta GLX VR6
By Roscoe on 02/19/10 07:42 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

First of all I'll start off by saying this is my 3rd VW, having owned a 2004 Jetta and a 2000 GTi Vr6, and it is still my favorite by far. If you are into the Euro car modding scene this is a great platform. It has timeless styling, great potential, and from a Automotive Technician's standpoint faily simple to work on especially for a VW.

best car by far
By Phil D on 03/21/08 01:48 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

The GLX VR6 has great acceleration, roomy for its size, handles great in rain and snow. It was very hard to lose control on the snow ( and I was trying ). Not so good for a family car but I can fit 2 car seats in the back comfortably. This car is an all around tank, I put this car through some crazy situations and it always comes out on top. Pricey to maintain but well worth every penny. I cant wait to buy my next VW. Oh I almost forgot....the 95 GLX VR6 was not built to be sold in America so everything is special order, I found out the hard way.

VW number 10
By VistaRob on 02/22/08 07:55 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about two months ago and have put about six thousand miles on it already. The engine has a great power down low and up top. My average mpg is 24 but can get up to 28 on the highway and down to 17 city. The interior has all the bells and whistles you would see on a car today auto down windows all around, and can open and close them by holding the key. The quality of the interior is excellent leather is firm, no rattles and is very solid just what you would expect from a German car. The trunk is HUGE!!! and would make a good Mafia car. Like is said this is my tenth vw, all great cars just use good parts and maintain it.

160,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By Paul C on 02/12/07 10:40 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I purchased it new in May 1995. It has been running strong and has been a reliable car for me. It has had some electrical problems. One issue that was of concern is VW's reputation with faulty heater cores. I had to replace mine twice within a two year span (2000-2). It was done under warranty (after some complaining). My instrument panel is starting to have some issues (speed/tachometer) and is not working periodically. I am not sure if it is associated with the moisture from two faulty heater cores getting behind the dash. Overall the engine has been great and my mechanic says that I should get another 40,000 miles with no problem. It's become a great commuter car, work/home/school. Its gas mileage has been averaging 25-27 mpg.

Wonderful Old Friend
By floppymoose on 09/27/06 00:14 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I've owned it since it was new, and now it has 140,000 miles on it. The original clutch lasted 120,000 miles. It's had some problems (mostly electrical and fuel pump) but the motor and transmission have been rock solid. There are a lot of great things about this car. It has an amazingly small turning radius - I u-turn with ease at any intersection, even small ones. It is very very large on the inside (I'm 6'3" and don't have to put the seat all the way back) and very very small on the outside. You can think the boxy shaped for that - boxy is extremely space efficient. You can fit a large box (like the kind 23" monitors from Apple used to come in) through the trunk opening, and completely in. I could go on and on.

like riding on rails
By dawn lyons on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

the power and design of the six cylinder engine (vr6)gives a powerfull and responsive kick. the interior roomy yet very intimate gives you all comfort at your finger tips.did i forget to mention that all of it is soft leather with a sunroof! well got to go now.hold my horses you say i can't (175hp) thats too many to leave i the stable.

VR6 Problems
By VR6 Owner on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

This car was great the first month but thats when the troble started. The electrical system went crazy. The circuit that controls cruise control, all power windows, heated mirrors, and heated seats keeps shorting out making them useless and good luck running down the short. The engine is althought quite powerful no problems there so far and the car really looks good if your paint is still holding up. The car would be great if the electrical system wasn't junk.

yuck
By JoshW on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

after owning this car for 6 months i will NEVER buy another vw, EVERYTHING that you could imagine that would go wrong on a car went wrong. Horrible all around car, would advise against any vw in the future..

Picked it up today
By Opi on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I love it, great car, blast to drive. Only wish VW would take care of the stupid little stuff that breaks, otherwise it is perfect. Excellent tuner car.

glx review
By aj on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

besides protective coating coming off i am quite pleased with my new car purchase in 1995 I get on average 24 to 26 mpg