Used 1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1995 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

"The little engine that could"
By Jared

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Man what a car. This was my first car and I absolutely loved it. The car always started up for me, never had any problems, was great on gas which is really important these days. Sadly I no longer have this car due to an accident, I wish i still had that car today. I bought it with 198,000 miles but the engine actually had 112,000, this car had the digital odometers so u couldn't change the mileage. It was an automatic, which I really didn't mind, it kept me alive when i was in the accident. I was late for work and it just started raining, i was going 45 mph down hill, i was going to fast for the turn and i ended up totaling the car and i actually went to work an hour later, without a scratch!!!

THE ENGINE THE ENGINE THE ENGINE, awesome 2.0 liter 4 banger, pretty peppy for a 4 cylinder too, i think it got 115 hp which was pretty good on gas. I'm a big guy and the space is amazing, i never thought i would be so comfortable in a small car like that. I averaged about 25-27,city 32-35 highway!!

I never experienced any electrical problems, but i figured that vw are prone to electrical probs from other vw owners, but if you want a great car thats cheap on gas and fun to drive, get one of these, you won't regret it.

Electronics
By Mantooth

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Gets me where I need to go.

Comfy seats. I can put my huge cruiser bike in the trunk. My 63" snowboard and anything else, space of a pickup. I like the box shape, it will always look good even if it is very old.

Electronics. Windows all break, the speedometer and radio just stopped working.

'95 VW Jetta
By Jay

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

My 1995 Volkswagen Jetta is a good car. It's very solid. The only problems that I have has with it are with the front bearings.

The trunk space and overall appearance.

Give it a little more pep in the engine. I will get a V6 next time.

Leaves much to be desired
By zjvineyard

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted a VW. I finally got it and it leaves much to be desired. The engines are GREAT and will go forever but, but the time you hit 150,000 your windows won't work, you will have no door locks, and your doors won't close. I have replaced drivers side front and rear window motors twice. I have replaced my drivers side lock and latch twice and its only been 3 years!!!! Lot's of electrical maintenance. If you get this car, get the GL model where everything is manual!!!!!

CUTE CUTE car. Heated Seats!!

Warranty of more than 6 months on the window regulators!! Glad they finally figured out how to put in a glove box with passenger side air bags.

Still Going
By Vento

My 1995 Jetta GLS was my first brand
new car. This car has been such a
great car to own. It currently has
162,000 miles on it, and I have never
had anything go wrong with it except
for normal wear and tear items.....and
this car has had its share of abuse. I
would suggest to anyone looking at this
model to make sure that it was serviced
properly. I believe that changing the
oil every 3,000 miles has helped in the
longevity and low maintenance of this
car. This is an extremely fun car to
drive b/c it responds to the driver
well. I plan on keeping this car until
it dies. Who knows, maybe I'll get
another 100,000 miles!

Heated Seats, Sunroof, and Power Everything. It's also a fun car to add performance parts to.

More horsepower, the 2.0L engine only comes standard with 115hp. Hence the need for aftermarket performance parts. The brakes work well enough to make you feel safe, but larger brakes would give you that extra stopping power under extreme/emergency conditions.