1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
"The little engine that could"
By Jared on 04/18/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Man what a car. This was my first car and I absolutely loved it. The car always started up for me, never had any problems, was great on gas which is really important these days. Sadly I no longer have this car due to an accident, I wish i still had that car today. I bought it with 198,000 miles but the engine actually had 112,000, this car had the digital odometers so u couldn't change the mileage. It was an automatic, which I really didn't mind, it kept me alive when i was in the accident. I was late for work and it just started raining, i was going 45 mph down hill, i was going to fast for the turn and i ended up totaling the car and i actually went to work an hour later, without a scratch!!!

Electronics
By Mantooth on 03/11/08 23:24 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Gets me where I need to go.

'95 VW Jetta
By Jay on 03/20/06 14:07 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

My 1995 Volkswagen Jetta is a good car. It's very solid. The only problems that I have has with it are with the front bearings.

Leaves much to be desired
By zjvineyard on 12/03/04 23:59 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted a VW. I finally got it and it leaves much to be desired. The engines are GREAT and will go forever but, but the time you hit 150,000 your windows won't work, you will have no door locks, and your doors won't close. I have replaced drivers side front and rear window motors twice. I have replaced my drivers side lock and latch twice and its only been 3 years!!!! Lot's of electrical maintenance. If you get this car, get the GL model where everything is manual!!!!!

Still Going
By Vento on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

My 1995 Jetta GLS was my first brand new car. This car has been such a great car to own. It currently has 162,000 miles on it, and I have never had anything go wrong with it except for normal wear and tear items.....and this car has had its share of abuse. I would suggest to anyone looking at this model to make sure that it was serviced properly. I believe that changing the oil every 3,000 miles has helped in the longevity and low maintenance of this car. This is an extremely fun car to drive b/c it responds to the driver well. I plan on keeping this car until it dies. Who knows, maybe I'll get another 100,000 miles!

BAD CAR!!
By moveoverjlo on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

My 95 Jetta had lots of electrical and mechanical problems that the dealer couldnt fix. It even broke down three times in one month--I would press on the gas and it wouldnt go forward--and the dealer as well as another repair shop said there was nothing wrong with it!! I'm never getting another VW again.

Reliable purcahse after 8 years!
By hut2s on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 8 yrs as original owner. No significant problems for 1st 5/6 yrs. although the power window problems have existed always...covered initially under the warranty but w/out warranty it's about $200 a pop. Engine still covered (still under 10yr/100K miles). Agree w/ problem w/ cooling system but didn't start until 2 yrs. ago

Whers my low end power?
By Karma on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Overall not to shaby a ride. My two biggest problems are that the seat is horrible. My lower back hurts after just a short ride. Any longer my right leg might go numb. Bad lumbar support system!!! My other complaint is that I live on a hill and a steep one at that. I find that the car strugles to climb my hill. I have to floor the car and slug it uo the hill. Fast on the highway but a pain on any incline! From what I hear an extended warranty might be a god idea!

my jetta
By 007411 on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 3 years and the most problems I have is with the electrical system power windows, interior lights, for the most part great car got it with 45k now 120k. I had to replace mass air flow sensor once, timing belt, tps sensor, 2k in those repairs.

Fun, Stylish, and Weak
By Fugiot on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Jetta GLS a few months ago and it had a body kit, performance exhaust, and coilover springs. From a visual standpoint, it looks really really nice. The ride is kind of bouncy but I blame that on the springs. The engine itself seems to be in fantastic condition for having 90,000 miles on it. My only problem with it is the complete lack of low- end power! There's NOTHING below 2250 RPM. After you hit the 3,000's, thought, it pulls like it has 40 more horsepower than it actually does. I can even hit 125mph on the freeway. It's a very comfortable car and just fun to be in and around. All it needs is better "off-the-line" performance.